football championship 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Observant 7
Junior A
Club: Kinnitty

Re: football championship 2014

Post by Observant 7 »

Ah come on, five players my sums make it only quarter of the team or thereabouts :lol:

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

KK told County Officers that their players were not available for County Hurling on Tuesday.

The County Sec did not respond.......did not order the players to attend County hurling ..........

The players went to County Hurling bowing to Sid's orders and snubbing their club football......................

Players decision tough on the club but nothing County Officers can do when players make their choice

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Sean Ryan played a JFC game for Birr v Killeigh on Thursday night. Is he on the SH panel?

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

He didnt last too long either he got a black card after 20 mins. Yes he is on the senior hurling panel.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Killeighman wrote:He didnt last too long either he got a black card after 20 mins. Yes he is on the senior hurling panel.
1 of 3 in total given out

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

The one that Ryan got was a yellow card and the black card of the first killeigh man was really unknown what happened because he didnt make contact with the player or he didnt give abuse to anyone. Did you see what it was for?

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Kenmare appear to have copied Kilcormac/Killoughey and failed to field a team for the Kerry Senior Football championship. "Emigration & The Leaving Cert" were their excuses for Not Bothering to Turn-Up. Appreciate clubs may have difficulty in fielding Junior B Teams, but at Senior Level it is just not acceptable.

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

This website speaks volumes of where Offaly football now is, considering a thread that started on the Offaly Senior championship has spent the last 2 weeks talking about Kilcormac not fielding a team & in the process there hasn't been a single mention of any of the games played.

Let me be honest here, Kilcormac not fielding a senior football team for a game against Ryanagh's isn't news...because their a hurling club & don't have the population to compete at both senior football & hurling...at the end of the day winning the intermediate final last year cost them a real shot at winning another Leinster club title & I'm sure they'll be focused on righting that wrong this year!!

As for Kenmare not fielding a team...who cares...a few years ago Pullagh lost 15 players from the panel the year before almost all through emigration & I don't recall RTE coming down to talk about their plight. Just because it happened in Kerry it's news...at the end of the day the GAA never worried about players, which was fine when our economy was going well...but now it's gone down the toilet it's a mystery why clubs are struggling to field a team!!
The Untouchable

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

I don't have any sympathy for KK regarding this because dual clubs have been shafted by the county board for years and we had to get on with it. I know only too well the difficulties in trying to be competitive in both codes at senior level. KK has a big pick compared to a lot of clubs so its unfair that they get any special treatment.

Offaly fixtures as long as I have been playing have been unfavourable to dual clubs. How about trying to play a senior hurling quarter final a week before a senior football semi final. Realistically the odds are stacked against the dual club. They lose so much valuable preparation in the build up. And when the opponents are one code clubs it makes the task very difficult. And yes it pissed me off a lot because the bottom line is the potential was there to do very well at both codes.

Believe me my own club would of had many the excuses to not turn up if they adopted the same approach as KK.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

Sharp Eye wrote:Kenmare appear to have copied Kilcormac/Killoughey and failed to field a team for the Kerry Senior Football championship. "Emigration & The Leaving Cert" were their excuses for Not Bothering to Turn-Up. Appreciate clubs may have difficulty in fielding Junior B Teams, but at Senior Level it is just not acceptable.
Kerry GAA CCC awarded the game to Dingle tonight Monday (2 Days after game). Kenmare will now play in Round 2 (Round for Teams Defeated in Round 1). Have the Offaly CCC given any decision on the KK Match which was fixed for May 22nd yet?????

Observant 7
Junior A
Club: Kinnitty

Post by Observant 7 »

Sharp Eye wrote:
Sharp Eye wrote:Kenmare appear to have copied Kilcormac/Killoughey and failed to field a team for the Kerry Senior Football championship. "Emigration & The Leaving Cert" were their excuses for Not Bothering to Turn-Up. Appreciate clubs may have difficulty in fielding Junior B Teams, but at Senior Level it is just not acceptable.
Kerry GAA CCC awarded the game to Dingle tonight Monday (2 Days after game). Kenmare will now play in Round 2 (Round for Teams Defeated in Round 1). Have the Offaly CCC given any decision on the KK Match which was fixed for May 22nd yet?????
Will you give them a chance - they have to figure out how to spend the €45000 yet

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

I have to say i agree with Kilcormac Killoughey on this.
They wanted to get all they players together to set up a game plan for an important match. They approached the County Board and The County Board responded like only a Offaly County Board could. They did nothing. but Whelehan responded, he made a point of telling the players that he want everyone at training.
It not hard to figure out what when on here.

Whelehan may say that he never stop anyone player from playing with they club but he stopping them training and preparing for a important match for their club.
the County Board are at fault here.

The Kenmare thing is complete different. Kerry County Board would never stop players from training with their club the week of a club championship game and if they did they only do it once. the Club in Kerry would have them out on their ear if they tried that shit down their.
If the Clubs in Offaly had any Brains they back Kilcormac Killoughey on this.
Imaging Mc Donnell stopping the Rhode players from training with the club the week of a club championship game.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Look, its fairly simple, Brian Whelahan has been lambasted here, and in some respects deservedly, but this is not his problem.
He called training and wants all his players there. The KK and the Rynaghs players would have had a reason not to be at county training and train with the club.

KK held 1 training session, yes, 1 training session before a Senior Football match! They have not entered a league team, so....what was wrong with flipping the training to the Wed night, it surely was going to be all tactical as they have not trained for football.
If the KK players felt it was worthwhile they would have turned up for the club, they obviously felt that they had more to gain by attending the hurling.

KK are where they are, good enough to be, playing Senior football, but as lads here have said, they have spent the winter giving out about how trying to win an Intermediate football Leinster got in the way of winning a Senior club hurling.
Rynaghs/Tullamore/Shamrocks have got on with "Promoting" (int the real sense) football and hurling for years, KK have shown that they are a hurling club who facilitate football matches, their players should have made the call and trained with the club if they wanted, with the support of the county board and their club, and acceptance by Brain Whelahan.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

if they flipped Training to Wednesday.
1. it would have been 24 before the game.
2. This time of the year with 2 players in college in limerick. they would have to come Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, these lads have to study as well.

As for "They obviously felt that they had more to gain by attending the hurling". Whelehan had warned the players that missing training and your off the panel.
Some of these lads have been waiting years to get on the panel so they had no choice.

So people are question Kilcormac Killoughey commitment to Football. That Crazy. They have got into a row with the County Board in an attempt to make sure that are prepared correctly for a Senior Football Championship Game.
They could have let another club represent Offaly at intermediate level when they won the county title but the club and players felt that they had put in the work and it was up to them to represent the county as county champions.
that shows they commitment to football.
Every time Kilcormac Killoughey go on the football field they go on to do they best.

If you think that an intermediate football lenister championship game is a bigger game than an Senior Lenister Club Semi-final you need your head examined.
If you think that playing that game the week before the semi final didn't take something out Kilcormac Killoughey you need your head examined.
Did you hear Kilcormac Killoughey complain about it. yeah a little but mainly they stated that they were not happy with their performance and point to that as one of the factors.

As for not promoting Hurling and Football. Kilcormac Killoughey club had more teams than any other club in Offaly last year over both codes.
Dan Curmins had even given up hurling for Offaly for a year to join the football panel and he didn't get a game in the league or championship for the whole year.
Kilcormac Killoughey have done more to promote both code than any other club.

But even if they didn't promote football. they still had the right to be given the chance to prepare of the Rynagh game in the best possible they saw fit.

Half ass preparation is something that Offaly inter county teams are well use to and we seen how far that has got us.
Kilcormac Killoughey didn't ask for much, just one training session away from the hurling panel. It would have kill anyone to grand this.

Limrick club is having a problem that look almost the same.
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=217572
“Common sense is not so common.”

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

our county is in a shambles in both hurling and football at this moment, we have had two of our top county players said as much in the papers the past week, won't name people know who i am talking about. and the finger comes back to the county board everytime, for heavens sake can we not get Martin Boland,Andy Gallagher,Tommy Bryne, and the rest out the fuck and start from fresh and build something for the future.

some players didn't get their training gear till the league was over right it seems only a minor thing to some but it adds to the list that the county board have done nothing about, the senior job was a joke the under 21 debate a few weeks before the championship :oops: they are only in it to make money for O'Connor park but they are that thick they can't see the bigger picture here and offalys GAA is dying on its feet.

look at our neighbours laois they have a big county ground to, but by fuck they are working with the underage they put money and people in place to make it work, look at their seniors fucking offaly who have won alot more than them have to wait till they are finish to used their grounds we are a joke and we have the likes of tommy bryne saying we have 45 grand now to work with lets be honest we all know where that cash will go yes back into O'Connor park, the only used o'connor park is now is to watch other teams in it because offaly won't need it for much championship action cause we are not going to be in it, and its only going to get worse, only for the two wins for the minor footballers this year and please god they will get a third over the Dubs we have feck to show for it and won't by the looks of things. a laoisman lives beside me in comer and monday moring he said he was at the match on sunday and he was happy man about where laois hurling is going, he then said offaly are where laois were a few years ago no mans land, and you know something i agree with him and you something else that hit home with me after he said jesaus i hope we get offaly in the draw we will hurl the shit out of ye, after watching offaly hurling since 1979-80 its the first time i said to a laoisman your right :(