OFFALY UNDER 21 HURLING

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Sharp Eye
All Star

Re: OFFALY UNDER 21 HURLING

Post by Sharp Eye »

I hear the Offaly Co Board are about to appoint a manager for our 2014 Under 21 Hurling Team. I hope that the new manager will be also appointed for the 2015 Under 21 championship as every manager deserves more than a few weeks.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Dermot Hogan who managed Coolderry u21 and minor seems to be the man chosen to take the helm.

johnkinnarey
Junior C
Club: killurin

Re: OFFALY minor HURLING 2015

Post by johnkinnarey »

it is vital to have a combined team from tullamore clara kilcormack second level schools at senior A level hurling entered in the schools and colleges competition for 2014/5
school year.Entries are going in now and with the u16 champions of last year from Na Fianna its vital for their continued development A meeting must be convened by county board to secure a structure and resources for this so it is in place for next school term.It would also give preparation for next years minors in hurling especially since teams are not allowed collective matches before jan

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Shinrone 5-24 Coolderry 3-5

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

That's hurling, not camogie, folks.

I wasn't there but it looks like Shinrone gave their neighbours an unmerciful hiding this evening, to set up a Final meeting with St Rynagh's, a repeat of last year's decider.

I can only go on the periodic scorelines Tweeted by the County board's account, but Shinrone led by the rather bizarre score of 2-7 to 3-2 after 20 minutes, extending that narrow lead to 2-11 to 3-2 by half-time and adding the final two goals during the last ten minutes.

Wins over Coolderry are rare indeed for Shinrone, so presumably this is a sweet one for them.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

Entries are closed now for schools teams unfortunately. No junior combined team from offaly.

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

8 weeks to prepare a team, not minding college exams, club games etc and we are only playing Kilkenny or Wexford. Limerick county board will be watching how we do this.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=214738

Hogan is new Offaly U21 boss

Offaly's long search for an U21 hurling manager has finally ended with the appointment of Dermot Hogan.

The Coolderry clubman fills the void left by 1981 and '85 All-Ireland winner Ger Coughlan, who is now part of Brian Whelahan's senior management team. The new manager has just eight weeks to prepare the Faithful for their Leinster championship opener against the winners of the first round clash between holders Wexford and Kilkenny on June 25.

Ciaran McDonald, Liam Dunphy and Ronnie Byrne, who have all had a recent involvement with Offaly underage teams, will act as Hogan's selectors. Hogan guided Coolderry to county minor and U21 titles in 2008 and 2010 respectively before serving in John Leahy's county minor management set-up last year.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

good to have someone appointed.

So is it a 10 week, one year or two year appointment?
“Common sense is not so common.”

Observant 7
Junior A
Club: Kinnitty

Post by Observant 7 »

Toxicity234 wrote:good to have someone appointed.

So is it a 10 week, one year or two year appointment?
Hogan Stand have it down as a 2 yr appointment with a review after one year - I think this is what I read.

Great to see these lads taking the lead - wishing them best of luck - big job on hand in such a short time but I'm sure they are up to putting out their best team prepared as best they can - need a big push when exams are over!! clubs need to support them in their training times etc if possible because of such a short time for them

weisford
Junior B

Post by weisford »

Ciaran Mc Donalds brother Niall is a Wexford u21 Hurling selector

If Wexford can get past Kilkenny that would be an interesting clash

babsandbond
Senior
Club: carrig

Post by babsandbond »

Just wondering who is the main men on our team this year...i was thinking conor clancy,niall wynne,simon og lyonns,sean dolan,the gerathys if underage con mahon,emmet nolan colm mulrooney and eoin hayes if fit.then jason sampson conor doughan and sean gardner from lusmagh.could someone help me out who else we have

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

st rynaghs and shinrone will surely make up most of the team

from last year and this year i think we might line out as this:

clancy
wynne
kelleher
nolan
simon og
gardiner
con mahaon
c kiely
c doughan
peter g
sampson
dolan
j fogarthy
thomas g
p mullins

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

2 minors on the team?
Wouldnt see Kiely as midfielder at this age group?

babsandbond
Senior
Club: carrig

Post by babsandbond »

Forgive me if im missing a couple of important players im unsure who we have ,but i was thinking something like this

C.clancy
C.mahon
D.kelleher
N.wynne
E.nolan
S.gardner
S.og lyonns
C.doughan
C.mulrooney
S.dolan
J.sampson
P.gerathy

Then t.gerathy in the full forawrd line...with a choice of d.murray p.mullins c.daly e.mannion in there with him.probably give murray the nod because of his free taking.

I think in that team its strong enough to compete with 2 fast corner backs they would provide cover for kelleher as he does lack pace.in the half back line gardner would hold the centre with two good hurlers either side of him..midfield is strong doughan has huge potential and mulrooney is hurling very well for birr.in the forward line wev a worker in dolan and gerathy covers the field with big runs and inside some very classy hurlers in the ones i mentioned if they get the right ball.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Enda Gorgan will have to come into the squad. is Brendan Murphy Over age.
What about Ryan from Clareen. Was he not a minor this year again.
is Camon not underage again.
Is Daniel doughan it steping up to this level as well.

have to admit that I like to see Kiely as a full forward or centre forward or himself and Dolan routing.

So a team that could look like.

Clancy

wynne, Kelleher, nolan

Gorgan, Camon, gardiner

con mahaon, C. doughan

peter g, dolan thomas g

d.murray, c kiely, , p mullins

Or something like that.

But is Camon, Parlon and gorgan over age?
“Common sense is not so common.”

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Camon is overage.

Alan Kelly from Lusmagh in with a shout for selection, and Joey O'Connor from rynaghs, football permitting would also be a good option
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean