OFFALY Hurling 2014

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Truesupporter
Junior A

Re: OFFALY Hurling 2014

Post by Truesupporter »

In relation to post by Observant 7 on 14/03/2014, I would like to correct something. It is a common mis-conception that we only won All-Ireland hurling titles under outside managers. OFFALY WON THEIR 1ST ALL- IRELAND SENIOR HURLING TITLE WITH AN OFFALY MAN AS MANAGER. He was Andy Gallagher from Tullamore who was MANAGER from 1976 to 1983. After that the mangers of All- Ireland winning hurling teams were from outside the county. The 1985 manager was Diarmuid Healy(Kilkenny0, 1994 was Eamon Cregan (Limerick) and 1998 was Michael Bond (Galway). Andy was MANAGER from 1976 to 1983. Diarmuid was on board in 1981 as COACH and became MANAGER in 1983 with Andy staying on as a selector. In fact he was there as a selector until end of 1995. Hope this clears this up for everyone.

Observant 7
Junior A
Club: Kinnitty

Post by Observant 7 »

Truesupporter wrote:In relation to post by Observant 7 on 14/03/2014, I would like to correct something. It is a common mis-conception that we only won All-Ireland hurling titles under outside managers. OFFALY WON THEIR 1ST ALL- IRELAND SENIOR HURLING TITLE WITH AN OFFALY MAN AS MANAGER. He was Andy Gallagher from Tullamore who was MANAGER from 1976 to 1983. After that the mangers of All- Ireland winning hurling teams were from outside the county. The 1985 manager was Diarmuid Healy(Kilkenny0, 1994 was Eamon Cregan (Limerick) and 1998 was Michael Bond (Galway). Andy was MANAGER from 1976 to 1983. Diarmuid was on board in 1981 as COACH and became MANAGER in 1983 with Andy staying on as a selector. In fact he was there as a selector until end of 1995. Hope this clears this up for everyone.
:) Great to have that (i had not looked that up before posting but I did ask was I correct and thanks)
I don't think D Owens would make a Intercounty Manager in my opinion - can't see any difference in BW and himself. BW admits in the interview after the match, out of his starting 15 last Sunday only the back line were hurling second half yet he only made 2 changes for the entire game. D Ownes did the same at the All Ireland last year - Did not make changes despite knowing some started were having a bad day and Ger Coughlin did the same with the U21's last year and probably cost us the U21 title. Don't tell me they did not have the choices on the bench - they did, but for whatever reason known to themselves they choose not to make changes. We need a Manager with courage to make those changes. At least changing would have being trying to win, not one of the three Managers had anything to loose by making those changes, they were loosing anyway!
Johnny Pilkington said after training Kilcormac, that Kilcormac Killoughey were three years off winning the County Championship, he was spot on, Danny Owens was lucky he took over during that period. His fitness man Jimmy Dunne I am told is responsible for their winning!

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

Everytime Kilcormac/Killoughey lose it Owens fault and Every-time they win Dunne get the praise.
So by that logic BW should have gone and got Dunne to Training the county team or is Dunne not at the intercounty level.
i have said this loads of times that management is a team. So when the team win they all get the praise and when they lose the take the blame.
Owens is a very good manager. last year All Ireland was lost because of in this order, There forward leader and full forward as missing, The ref was shit and St. Thomas were an excellent team.
I couldn't fault the All Ireland performance. Yes they lost but they worked their socked off and were within 3 point of winning but the performance as a team was excellent but some individual didn't play great.
Now that is the sign of of well managed team. Where the sum of the part are more important than the individuals involved.
The only big mistake i seen the Kilcormac/killoughey management team make. is this year against OTB moving Slevin into the full forward line and not out the field. One big mistake in two year is better than BW one mistake every 2 mins.

If BW want to step up and become a good manager, He should pick up the phone this week and ring Owens, Dunne and Hogan and explaining that he in trouble and ask then to come into help improve the teamwork, tactics and overall game plan for this team. These 3 lads are able to get these lads to hurl to a good standard at club level and that something BW hasn't be able to do.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Buttons
All Star
Club: Club

Post by Buttons »

What is the story with Molloy,know he went off against Waterford and was out for the year but is he near fitness.

Also no members of the Ballinamere team that won the intermediate on the panel. They had a few players that could have been given a go

kaiserchief
All Star
Club: town

Post by kaiserchief »

Apartantly Molloy is now in retirement. He didn't feature for his club Shamrocks at all last year and had surgery.

I agree, I think intermediate level is overlooked in this county, Ballinamere Shamrock and Ballyskenach had a few players that could have offered something to the county panel.

Brendan Murphy would have been a massive boost to get back for one more year!!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Toxicity234 wrote:Everytime Kilcormac/Killoughey lose it Owens fault and Every-time they win Dunne get the praise.
So by that logic BW should have gone and got Dunne to Training the county team or is Dunne not at the intercounty level.
i have said this loads of times that management is a team. So when the team win they all get the praise and when they lose the take the blame.
Owens is a very good manager. last year All Ireland was lost because of in this order, There forward leader and full forward as missing, The ref was shit and St. Thomas were an excellent team.
I couldn't fault the All Ireland performance. Yes they lost but they worked their socked off and were within 3 point of winning but the performance as a team was excellent but some individual didn't play great.
Now that is the sign of of well managed team. Where the sum of the part are more important than the individuals involved.
The only big mistake i seen the Kilcormac/killoughey management team make. is this year against OTB moving Slevin into the full forward line and not out the field. One big mistake in two year is better than BW one mistake every 2 mins.

If BW want to step up and become a good manager, He should pick up the phone this week and ring Owens, Dunne and Hogan and explaining that he in trouble and ask then to come into help improve the teamwork, tactics and overall game plan for this team. These 3 lads are able to get these lads to hurl to a good standard at club level and that something BW hasn't be able to do.
just on the hogan point after Coolderrys heavey defeat to Antrims Shamrocks he just stood and watch it all happen in front of him don't think would be the one to explain to Sid where he is going wrong. don't go down the road thinking Danny Owens or Ken Hogan would be better cause they got to the final.

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

townman wrote: just on the hogan point after Coolderrys heavy defeat to Antrims Shamrocks he just stood and watch it all happen in front of him don't think would be the one to explain to Sid where he is going wrong. don't go down the road thinking Danny Owens or Ken Hogan would be better cause they got to the final.
Hogan installed a basic game plan that got Coolderry two county title and leinster. they were caught out in the All Ireland final but he and the team went into that final thinking the hard work was done.
It was a big mistake but one of few made over that 18 months but they did the same the year before losing to a westmeath side.

Danny Owens came into Kilcormac Killoughey and look at the players and himself and Dunne set out there stall. He moved Healion to full back from full forward. He moved Lenorad from wing forward to Wing back. He dropped the Gorgans. He moved Kilmartin from Full Back to midfield. Brought Slevin into Goals and moved Mahon from Midfield to centre Forward, Moved Currims to Full forward.
This may look like a lot of changes but this was the simplest thing to do for any manager if they were smart enough to do. With these changes he moved all the Kilcormac Killoughey Hurler into there natural position apart from Mahon who is a midfielder but he turned into a good centre forward for the tactics Kilcormac/Killoughey (and Offaly) should play.

Manager Good or Bad make mistake. The only difference is that Good manager make less mistake.

Lets Look at the BW managerment teams from this year.
At no stage in the league did we have a centre back hurling Centre back. I think that should be pointed out again. At no stage in the league did we have a centre back hurling Centre back. Walkins, Hanniffy, Healion and Egan.
For 3 league games we didn't have a full forward. we had a sweeper with the wind instead.
For most of the league we have a forward at Number 5.
We never settled on a midfield partnership.
The management team expected our centre and full forwards to work miracle when they were being out numbered because we were playing with a sweeper and lads that never played in midfield before.
And the real kick in the teeth against Antrim part 2 after using Connelly for the sweeping role for the league they moved back Carroll who has tried but just can't play that role.

in a list of big mistake i can count a total of almost 50 made in 6 league games.

Hogan and Owens may make mistake but over the last 5 years i don't think they made 50 combined.

This jobs was way too early in BW mangement. he should be making mistake like this at intermediate club or with a small Senior club level at the moment not at senior intercounty level.
“Common sense is not so common.”

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Got to hand it to you Toxicity you have done your homework but what would KK have done if Offaly had given Danny and Jimmy the gig?

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

a bit of good news Roscrea won the collage B today great display from Shinrones Jordan Fogarthy
i think there were 7 from offaly clubs on the panel.

stand back
Junior B
Club: ballyskenagh killavilla

Post by stand back »

kaiserchief wrote:Apartantly Molloy is now in retirement. He didn't feature for his club Shamrocks at all last year and had surgery.

I agree, I think intermediate level is overlooked in this county, Ballinamere Shamrock and Ballyskenach had a few players that could have offered something to the county panel.

Brendan Murphy would have been a massive boost to get back for one more year!!

Skenagh killavilla; co-captains Feargus Hannon and Tim Hennessy should get a look in. This year in the leinster league we beat gleneally, wicklow senior champions for the last three years and we are playing the westmeath champions next week. We also beat lusmagh by a cricket score in our first senior league match and no-one noticed. We're playing clareen next sat at 6 in clareen. What more do we have to do? bate clareen?
Tim hennessy

babsandbond
Senior
Club: carrig

Post by babsandbond »

Stand back your joking me...timmy hennessy or fegus hannon are nowhere near county standard take of your blinkers....james sullivan,dylan hayden,pat camon,eoin ryan,damien egan from belmont are some id like at other than that forget about it

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Paul Cleary is another hurler who i think is a big loss and in my opinion is one of the best fullbacks
in club hurling in offaly and i think in away he got a raw deal last year, was well worth his place on this offaly side, came on again kilkenny done well and was took off again for Kenny who was hurt but still was put back on and Walter Walsh scored a few points off kenny who was hurt. i watch that game back again and big mistakes were made on the line that day to along with the madness in the waterford game.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Dammit, don't go mad celebrating that win over Lusmagh. We've seven able-bodied young men between 20 and 33 in Australia and there are five more in Britain. Five of the 15 who starter the 2012 IHC Final are now thár sáile.
stand back wrote:Skenagh killavilla; co-captains Feargus Hannon and Tim Hennessy should get a look in. This year in the leinster league we beat gleneally, wicklow senior champions for the last three years and we are playing the westmeath champions next week. We also beat lusmagh by a cricket score in our first senior league match and no-one noticed. We're playing clareen next sat at 6 in clareen. What more do we have to do? bate clareen?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I agree with you on Paul Cleary. Especially given the dearth of central defenders this league. Odd, unless he is injured? Did he line out for Birr against Buffers Alley on Saturday?
townman wrote:Paul Cleary is another hurler who i think is a big loss and in my opinion is one of the best fullbacks
in club hurling in offaly and i think in away he got a raw deal last year, was well worth his place on this offaly side, came on again kilkenny done well and was took off again for Kenny who was hurt but still was put back on and Walter Walsh scored a few points off kenny who was hurt. i watch that game back again and big mistakes were made on the line that day to along with the madness in the waterford game.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

sam88885a
All Star
Club: kk

Post by sam88885a »

i agree lads paul cleary is a big loss .
he a fine hurler lack real pace but can read the game .
we really could have done with him at centre back during this league .
he still only 28 i think but got a very raw deal last year putting him at corner back was stupid.
in the ideal world i would have loved to see him play cenre back d kenny at full back with d morkam and d horan the wing backs and r hanniffy and d kilmartain in fronth of him in midfield .
aint ever going to happen now