r.i.p liam o connor.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
snowy
Junior C

r.i.p liam o connor.

Post by snowy »

liam o connor . passed away this evening. a gentle giant he will be sorely missed by all alsh island and offaly gaels. especially all his family to whom my deepest sympathy goes.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Re: r.i.p liam o connor.

Post by ryot »

RIP Liam

Will never forget long that looping ball to Seamus Darby

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Just hear it on radio, sad news, had some battles with Eoin Liston in the 81,82, finals who will ever forget his high lobbing ball into the goalmouth he will never be forgotten in the history of the game
came from a great family. his brother Thomas also played midfield that day, with cousins Matt and Richie, his mother is also a Bryan whos brother was the great Willie Bryans father Har Bryan.

And Matts and Richies, and Murt from the 71 final mother is also a Bryan some history and medals
in that family. Liam Connor R.I.P.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

RIP and condolences to his family.

A great footballer and a deserved All Star Winner in 1982.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Very sorry to read in today's paper that Liam passed away at the young age of 58. He will always be a legend to us in the Faithful County.

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

RIP.Michael O'Hehir saying "This is Liam Connor" sends shivers down my spine and I wasn't even alive in 1982.

Out of curiosity , does anyone if his surname is Connor or O'Connor.I have seen both across the the media today.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Rest In Peace Liam...
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

KillougheyGoBragh
County player
Club: KK

Post by KillougheyGoBragh »

Very sad news about a Faithful hero from a golden era, God must have wanted a fullback to help out Paidi, may they all R.I.P

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Deepest sympathy to Liam's family. To go so young.

Will naturally be remembered for 'that' delivery for 'that' goal, but for me his greatest feat was holding 'Bomber' scoreless in the 1981 Final, something that was deemed impossible at that time.

To my knowledge Liam and Tomás are O'Connors whereas the cousins (Murt, Richie, Matt and the rest) are Connors. Liam and Tomás are sons of Tommy O'Connor with the cousins being sons of Jim Connor. Someone with more local knowledge may feel free to point out any errors here. It happened occasionally in those times that brothers might have slightly different surnames as birth certificates were sometimes filled incorrectly.
DAF wrote:RIP.Michael O'Hehir saying "This is Liam Connor" sends shivers down my spine and I wasn't even alive in 1982.

Out of curiosity , does anyone if his surname is Connor or O'Connor.I have seen both across the the media today.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Post by red exile »

AT DHEIS DR GO RAIBH A ANIM DILIS

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Deepest sympathy to Liam's family. To go so young.

Will naturally be remembered for 'that' delivery for 'that' goal, but for me his greatest feat was holding 'Bomber' scoreless in the 1981 Final, something that was deemed impossible at that time.

To my knowledge Liam and Tomás are O'Connors whereas the cousins (Murt, Richie, Matt and the rest) are Connors. Liam and Tomás are sons of Tommy O'Connor with the cousins being sons of Jim Connor. Someone with more local knowledge may feel free to point out any errors here. It happened occasionally in those times that brothers might have slightly different surnames as birth certificates were sometimes filled incorrectly.
DAF wrote:RIP.Michael O'Hehir saying "This is Liam Connor" sends shivers down my spine and I wasn't even alive in 1982.

there is a great snap in the offaly year book 1981, it says Connor Defuse the Bomber i'd say he was never held scoreless in any other finals he played in.

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

I'd love to see a banner next year at Offaly games in O' Connor park with the immortal line "A high lobbing dropping ball in towards the goal mouth" as a mark of respect to Liam

I remember reading Kings of September where Liam Described himself as just a work horse and nothing else, the part he played in that match and that goal showed he was a little bit more than that

RIP Liam

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Very sorry to hear about Liam's passing, only 58, a no nonsense footballer, just did his job regardless of who he was marking, immense for both the Island and Offaly, rest in peace Liam.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Sad to hear of Liam's passing.
He had a great career, yet his one defining moment will be that laser guided long pass to Seamus Darby in 1982