THE UNDERSHARKS ARE GO!!! SHANNONBRIDGE, SEPT 9TH, 5.30PM!!!

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

THE UNDERSHARKS ARE GO!!! SHANNONBRIDGE, SEPT 9TH, 5.30PM!!!

Post by Lone Shark »

This is a second edit, go to page four for the updated info ....

Biffos Unite!!

With the tipping competition getting into full flow and separating us by region, now is the chance to represent your county as one, united!

(After that big entrance, now for the sketchy uncertainty!! :oops: )

Once upon a time the good people of Premierview and RebelGAA made an attempt to fly the respective flags of their counties by having a hurling match against one another. Reports are uncertain as to whether this clash of the traditionalists ever actually took place, but certainly the idea of it caught my eye to say the least. So in that spirit, I want to know if such an idea is really feasible for ourselves. While we'd love to have a hurling game too, I think it's fair to say that the potential for carnage if we were to take on the likes of Premierview or KKCats is not to be thought of - so instead, we said we'd try a big ball version. The only other thriving internet community bordering Offaly are the good people of the stolen sheep, the Rossies. So on both boards, we're seeing if a challenge game is a runner.

Anyway, here's the details:

Date As yet completely undecided - probably in the summer at some stage, could even be towards the end when clubs start getting knocked out of various championships. Probably go for a Friday or Saturday evening though, most likely to have people in a sociable mood.

Venue As above, nothing set in stone - but it's safe to say it'll be somewhere reasonably neutral for both counties. Probably Clan, Pearses, Bridge, Doon, Ferbane, depending on where we can get!

Players All welcome - every effort will be made to ensure that there is a reasonable spread between both teams of decent players, middling so and sos and junior Z stars. Hopefully about five from each category.

For now, that's it - this is the very early stages of negotiations. No date will suit everyone, so in order to have a good chance of getting fifteen we'd need at least 25 people to say that they'd be willing to play on any given Friday or Saturday evening during the summer.

If you think you'd be amenable to this, and reckon there is a decent chance of being able to play (I understand that things can come up for anybody, but if you only like the idea but when push comes to shove you probably wouldn't make it, best left) then please sign up here. Basically what we need to know is what position are you, how good are you (honest answer - in terms of what grade of football you'd be comfortable at) if or not you are subject to your club being knocked out of the Offaly championship (or wherever!) and then if we get enough we'll see what we can do about taking this further.

You're all here because you follow Offaly - now you can pull on an Offaly jersey and play for real - you don't get that chance every day!!

Last edited by Lone Shark on Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Lone Shark - anseo!!

Wing forward dogsbody
Junior B Standard
Club wouldn't exactly be weakend by me getting injured, so no restrictions!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I'd be Junior B/C standard.
Could play anywhere in the forwards.
No strong club commitments to get in the way.

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Full Back.
Once upon a time, moderate senior club standard, now in retirement.
Willing to embark on a light training regime for the chance of wearing the county jersey.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

Played corner back, midfield or half forward in my days in all grades of Junior Football in Dublin.

Now in Gaelic Football retirement but still play social soccer regularly.

seamroga
Senior

Post by seamroga »

Would you need anyone to carry the water?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

We can exact some measure of revenge on the Rossies for the qualifier defeat in 2003!
What about an astute manager on the sideline?
Who would be able to read the game and make the switches in such a high pressure occasion?

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

I'd say this would be savage craic but I'll be in the states probably. AZ should throw his name in though, I heard he used to be good before the drink, the women and the emergration got him!!

Rynaghs Biffo
All Star

Post by Rynaghs Biffo »

Brilliant idea LS!!

Myself, I'd be Junior A/B standard, played corner and wing back but my real home would be keeper!! if another goalkeeper comes up, thats no problemo!! Cant wait for it!

Fullback
Intermediate

Post by Fullback »

Why not.

Playing minor now so that standard and that commitment if it still matters at the time.

Not a full-back anymore as the name suggests, more of a wing-back.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Come on people!!

The Rossies are close to having a team - don't let the sheep outdo the sharks!!

Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star

Post by Mighty Pair O' Hands »

Junior B Corner forward reporting for duty ! :D

minor
Senior

Post by minor »

yeah i'd be up for it depending on if i'm back playing or not, can play me anywhere and the standard would be okay enough. get on to mykneehurts he should do it too

Doon Massive
All Star

Post by Doon Massive »

Keeper would be my preferred position, due to familarity with the position, and a fair degree of laziness.

Went out at the top, retired at U14 level.

Does sound like a good idea.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

minor wrote:the standard would be okay enough.
God help the rest of us if your standard is "okay enough".