Offaly All Ireland Referees

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly All Ireland Referees

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

It seems not, SD.

I found the following on that first All-Ireland Final in Birr in Magic Memories - Birr GAA Club Through the Lens published last year- "Prior to the game the teams togged out in Cunningham's Hotel on Main Street before parading to the field and only a short time before the throw-in a crux over the referee was resolved. Patrick J White, an assistant in Treacy's Drapery, Birr, informed the teams that since he was a native of Blakefield, Toomevara, Co Tipperary he rather not take charge. Players from both sides pleaded with him to fulfil the assignment and he duly did."
SearingDrive wrote:Thanks for that POTH, there were some names I hadn't heard before. Was Pat White 1887 referee, a native of Kiloughey?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

If Gavin wasnt an Offaly man, would Daithi have defended him so passionately? Gavin refereed a highly physical, skillful All Ireland between Tipp and KK in a manner that was commended by all, that was above the standard of the game last Sunday.
Last Sunday he made some strange decisions, (Sending off incident aside), Clare seemed to (forwards in particular), take a lot of steps in short bursts that he let go. On the other hand he gave 3 very poor decisions to Cork that kept them in the game.But my criticism is that he seemed to be evening up his errors. And any manager will state that where humanly possible they want to see consistency.

However though, Davy is being very disingenious. "I dont want to comment on the Ref", but then proceeds to make all sorts of insinuations. Ger Loughnanes comments were disappointing.

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

Some things haven't changed much over the years POTH! Thanks for that snippet