Offaly starting team to face Kilkenny

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Killeighman
All Star

Offaly starting team to face Kilkenny

Post by Killeighman »

What do ye guys think the offaly team to start in the first round of the championship against Kilkenny will be? This is presuming that all players are fit

I am Tony McTague
Junior C

Re: Offaly starting team to face Kilkenny

Post by I am Tony McTague »

What do I think?!!...

I hope you get Writers Block soon, thats what I think....

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

Tony if you have nothing better to say just jog on

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

maybe we should join up with laois like Tony McTague says we should :lol:

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

It's 2 months away. We should know by week ending 8th June.

biffo1991
Junior C

Post by biffo1991 »

Was talking to a gentleman this evening, and the topic arised of Offaly Hurling, and he told me that James Rigney had been invited back to the panel by selector Mark Corrigan. Apparently Rigney is working in tullamore in the bridge house....

When the next training session arrived, Rigney arrived and Baker didn't know anything about it and asked him whats he doing with himself, Rigney replied working in the bridge house, apparently Baker told him to get his stuff and head on home he didn't want him near the squad whilst working in a Pub/Club.

If im telling a lie, i heard a lie.

But if its true, i think baker is out of order with this as Rigney is a great half back and would definitely in contention for a spot on the team come June.

Killeighman
All Star

Post by Killeighman »

He is one of the best hurlers we have got. How could baker just do that. I've lost a fair bit of respect for baker now if true

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

i suppose he would have said the same to Brian Whelehan and Johnny Pilkington if he was over them
in the 90's :roll:

fifitrixiebelle
All Star

Post by fifitrixiebelle »

Ollie was a fine hurler in his day & knows his stuff. id have fate in him to get the absolute best out of this offaly team.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Just means Rigney ks a cert to appear against Lusmagh in a fortnight.

Not that I ever doubted he would, or anything.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

The Bogman
Junior B

Post by The Bogman »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is James Rigney not currently serving a 48 week (or some similiar length) ban? It was a Kinnitty person who told me this, seemingly he played illegally while in London last summer. The person also said that the Kinnitty secretary and/or chairman were also handed down the same ban.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Chinese whisper i'd say.......doubt that occurred.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Doubt this happened, Rigney is a very committed young lad and I doubt he would be treated in such a manner, secondly, doubt Mark Corrigan and Baker would handle things like this with a relatively experienced player.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

None of that story makes sense. For one thing, is James Rigney not working as a blocklayer at the moment, over in Banagher? If so, and he is actually working in the Bridge House as well, then this is a second job for him, in which case you'd have to say that he'd be seriously stretched to keep the pace with the rest of the panel, never mind to make up the ground from missing training since the start of the year.

Secondly it would strike me as odd that Rigney would be out on the field and togged out and only then does the manager ask what's going on - unless we're in a situation where the management team never meet each other, you'd presume the very least they would be doing is singing off the one hymnsheet.

Like most people, I love watching James Rigney hurl, and if he was in a position to make a real and meaningful contribution to Offaly's cause, then you'd like to see him involved. However guys should only be called in at this time of year in very special circumstances and when they're in a position to make up a lot of ground after missing out on the work done so far. If Rigney is working two jobs, then he's really not ready to do that. That's not meant as a criticism of the lad - work should always come first - but speaking as somebody who works odd hours and well in excess of fifty of them every week, if I was ten years younger and a hundred times better at the sport, I'd still be in no position to commit to a county hurling panel. It's unfortunate, but it's the way of it these days. Nobody's to blame, but you're competing with students, teachers, bank officials and various other nine to five folks - you just can't do that if your work is tied into bar hours.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

I think it's a great story. I'd like to add that Baker probably had to be restrained by the other selectors as he flew into a rage. Then a five minute tussle ensued between seven grown men which culminated in a whiskey bottle being smashed over Baker's head.