New Offaly Jersey

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
True Red
All Star

Re: New Offaly Jersey

Post by True Red »

That's going to cause some difficulty. It seems to me to be designed for the person who's going to buy it in the shops, not for those who are out on the pitch.

It will also probably cause a clash of colours, and require a change, if playing Limerick, and maybe Antrim too.

Get rid of it now. Before it's too late.
Who comes first here? The players? Or the 'Off The Rails' brigade?
Have to say this sounds a little bit hysterical POTH. Changing the jersey will have a knock on effect in revenues for the county board which has to be positive.

Plus at the moment there is a good vibe in the county as regards the footballers with McDonnell's appointment a breath of fresh air and a new dawn. A change in the style of jersey is obviously been mooted to compliment this. Also it is broadly recongnised that the hurlers have a good honest squad that are skillful and on their day will put it up to anyone.

At the moment we cant ask for much more considering the dross that has gone one for the last 10+ years(2006 Leinster SFC Final appearence excluded obviously).

I cant say that i accept your point about players trying to pick each other out from the corner of their eye. Most county geansai are very dissimilar and if there is a clash of colours the teams will change strip. I wouldnt envisage it been a problem at all.

Change is good in my opinion, and although i would like to see the design tweaked a little, if it gets more young kids stomping down the town of Edenderry with the new Offaly jersey on their backs it can only be a good thing.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

The only part of this proposed new jersey i like is the change in the logo, the front of the jersey looks fine, the back needs to be looked at.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I'm not hysterical at all, Red. I'm all for a change in the gear every few years, but this is going to cause difficulty on the pitch.

For instance, looking on the telly, Blackburn Soccer team wear blue when the play one way, then white in the second half. Down our way a few years ago a syndicate took ownership of a racehorse. About half them were from east of the Shannon, the other half from across the bridge, so green and maroon halves were the chosen colours. On the racecourse, horse and jockey could be picked out racing along the back stretch by the maroon. When he turned for home the lads strugled to pick him out as the green was nearest to the grandstand.

Do you get my point? I've no problem with the principle of the change, and I don't give a rashers whether the collar is round or v-neck, but I think the colours should the the same all the way around.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

I’d completely agree POTH.

If fact, when everyone was laughing at Alex Fergusons excuse that their grey metallic jerseys blended with the nondescript colour of the crowd in the tight old Dell in Southampton, in the 90s, I thought it was an entirely reasonable – and I being agonistic on matters Premiership.

The sort that were laughing at him were the bar stool ‘sportsmen’ who thronged the pubs on Saturday nights and Sunday afternoons to shout at the TV following their adoptive English soccer teams. The last time they togged out for anything would have been for PE in 2nd year in school or a bit of club GAA U-16 before the Bud/Carlsberg/Benson & Hedges lush took hold. I suppose your average weekend crowd in Whites of Clara really ....!

Lads who’d have no appreciation of the split second-decision making required at top level sport.

Now, it’s not something I know about either but I do appreciate the higher the standard you compete, invariably the less time you pick out a teammate. Any bit of deception visually could potentially be a game changer.

Call me nostalgic, but I personally think 81/82 Football and the 84/85 hurling jerseys stand the test of time. You could get an out-of-work graphic designer to put a modern spin on either in a morning.

The OCB probably paid someone 10 grand to produce this latest one. I’ve no great issue with it other than it needs to be hooped for good practical reasons.

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:and I don't give a rashers whether the collar is round or v-neck
Down with that sort of language POTH, careful now :)
First ball is when you make your mark

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

High School musical fogot to include the very short lived all white Offaly jersey with a version the Offaly crest worked into the sleeves from the early 00's.I think it was taken off the shelves fairly quickly.I dont know if Offaly ever wore it in a competitive match.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

They say teams who wear all red are at a slight advantage in this regard.
Take Cork (or Edenderry) for example. Get the ball amidst a sea of flying bodies and your eye will pick out an all red jersey of a team mate that fraction quicker.

The Offaly colours are far more pastel (sounding like HSM now). For example, against the O'Connor Park visual backdrop of grey concrete, yellow plastic seats and green grass, the Offaly jersey doesn't quite leap out at you.

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

still prefer this

or this

only the best...

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

So POTH do you think we should put Carrolls ham on the jersey for the Kildare game, and the Kildare lads being new to the ham trade will forget for that split second and pass the ball to the Offaly lads?

Think you are a little over the top their mate! Ha get it Meat Mate?

Seriously to see white looking at that jersey, side on, your team mate would have to be waving his arm over his head, with a Kildare player suspended horizontally from navel down.

Think you are nit picking again. Played a fair bit meself and picking out jersies was never used as an excuse. But the best judge are the players themselves.

My earlier point about weight watchers is an entirely valid comment methinks, nothing as bad as an over stretched jersey in the white heat of battle on the terraces!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Firstly, you are not my 'mate'. Secondly, your post is full of gibberish and makes little sense.

I am thinking of players like Brendan Birmingham and John Troy (remember them? remember the flicks? the distribution?), neither of whom took time to look left, right, then left again before leaving us wondering "how did he know he was there?". Durra1 knows what I mean.

Still, you come out with this nugget below, whis is a start, at least.
Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:But the best judge are the players themselves.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

jimbob17
All Star

Post by jimbob17 »

Think there may be a point about picking people out guys....read about a study before about teams in red jerseys. It suggested that teams wearing red jerseys across the history of time in a wide number of sports were shown to have won significantly more championships than any other colour.....Now this may be because a lot of teams wear red but the thinking mooted was that red is a very loud rich colour, easy to pick out when under pressure and contrasts greatly with the green of a pitch and grey of a background. It makes perfect sense when you consider the likes of the success of Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal in UK soccer, Bayern Munich, Ajax, Barcelona, San Francisco 49ers, Washington redskins, Munster rugby amongst numerous others..... In a GAA context we only have to look at Cork in hurling and football.....

So in fairness, I do think it is a very valid argument on the new OY jersey.....what do ye reckon......
jimbob

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

We must retain the traditional three hopped jersey. The all green back will make the jersey unrecognisable from behind
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Sorry you have comprehension difficulties POTH... the side on white view would be partially/almost all obscoured by the green sleeve ..unless the arm was directly over their head. My point is that you would have a very small white area, and with the slope of the colours not alone John Troy, anyone would pick out theri team mate.
On the point with John Troy,
1 His vision and awareness is about far more than colour
2 Very few players apart from him would even think of doing some of the stuff he did
3 Even if they did, they could never execute it like he did (Brian Whelehan/DJ/Shefflin apart)

So you are taking extreme examples. You just dont like being challenged do you, tough. But you, as I, am entitled to opinion and I just dont happen to agree.

The theory on red may stand up to a degree, Liverpool???, Man utd, Arsenal, GAA Cork and ......Louth? Aberdeen? Wales in 6 nation? Does it make a difference?

Thankfully the debate on this will not be settled over a keyboard.

And POTH, you make a really bitchy comment , which is quite typical of your debating style (gibberish post??), (John Troy flicks etc, Durra would understand), eh I think we all understand genius like that when we see it. And dont know what level you played GAA to, but I've played and that skill/vision is called awareness, as much as peripheral vision. As play is developing, you spot a teammate/hear a call/ awareness of movement and if they ball comes your way you know where your teamate is, ya break it to him, or execute the pass without looking.
So no need for the put downs, stick to the debate.

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

As the late great Celine Dion once said;
"This is getting seeeeerious....."

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

I take your point POTH, i just think that you might be overstating this corner of the eye stuff.

I dont believe its much of an issue. And as i have stated already, the front of the jersey is fine for me, just a slight adjustment needed on the back.

And as for John Troy, he was that much of a genius i'd say he would have picked out an Offaly man with a turf bucket over his head!! :D If only we had another like him!
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything