Offaly vs Monaghan

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Offaly vs Monaghan

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Looks like we have no choice but to win this one.
Even if we do, we still need to get a result up in Enniskillen.
What are our chances?

Obviously Monaghan's danger man is Tommy Freeman. He depends a lot on good delivery from Paul Finlay. If Finlay can be crowded out, then the quality of ball going in can be reduced.
A bonus for us is that Eoin Lennon probably won't be at midfield. Any half decent catcher would relish playing against Offaly at the moment.

Hopefully we haven't forgotten how to win games.
It's ours to win...or lose.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

This was a home banker at the start of the year, and one of the games we needed to win in order to stay up. In all fairness Beating Cork and losing to Dublin, Mayo, Kerry and Tyrone is not exactly surprising, so we are kind of where we assumed we would be at this point.

The worrying thing of course is that Monaghan and especially Fermanagh have picked up points which puts ourselves and Cork on the precipice.

Monaghan have played well this year, despite only picking up one win ,in Dublin :roll: , and their performances against Kerry, Tyrone and the Dubs have been way better than ours.

Having said that, Offaly will have been looking at this game as a must win, and even Kilmurray surely can see that staying in Division 1 is important.

I'm going to have the courage of my convictions and back Offaly to win by 4 points.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I want to believe it, but I just can't. Traditionally Offaly footballers annoyed me because we always went down fighting, but always went down. Lately teams have been able to beat us without getting out of third gear. Monaghan on the other hand have really worried teams, and Freeman at centre forward is getting rave reviews - I don't see Brady being able to follow him all over the pitch. And more importantly, I fully expect it to be close with twenty minutes to go, when substitutions and tactical switches will be key. Seeing that staying in Division 1 is important is one thing, being able to effect the changes that could make it happen is another.

Monaghan by three for me. Sadly. :(

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Lone Shark wrote:Monaghan on the other hand have really worried teams, and Freeman at centre forward is getting rave reviews - I don't see Brady being able to follow him all over the pitch.
Damien Freeman is an unlikely starter.

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

Offaly by 3 unless Kilmurray tells the forwards to stop making those runs and stand by the nearest defender while the ball comes down with snow on it from the stratosphere.

By the way that stand is really dominating the Tullamore skyline. I wonder how it'll look from inside the ground.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Jesus, this one is going to go to the wire with ourselves and Monaghan both seeing this game as a lifesaver when the fixtures first came out. I would give us a hesitant vote on the basis that according to the national papers Monaghan seem to be riddled with injuries, and coupled with home advantage we might just shade it by a 2 or 3 points, but one thing is for sure if we go down on Sunday the game in Brewster park on april 9 will be meaningless and will only be a warm up for may 14.

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

As a matter of interest...

If we end up going down to Division 2 for next year, what would it take in the summer for people here to be persuaded that Kilmurray should stay for a third year?

a) He should stay anyway, no matter what happens.
b) Have a decent run in the qualifiers (win 2 or 3 games)
c) Beat Westmeath and a a win in the qualifiers?
d) Leinster Finalists?
e) Leinster Champions?
f) All Ireland Semi Finalists? :)
g) All Ireland Finalists? :D
h) All Ireland Champions? :lol:

If Offaly go down to Division 2, Kevin Kilmurray would have to at least reach a Leinster final for me to support his re-appointment. (d)

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

All-Ireland Quarter Finals by any route.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Leinster champions and he should step down anyways.
Any bunch of mugs can have a run in the qualifiers

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

It would be typical of this county's luck if this was the year we got a favourable draw in the qualifiers - though to be honest, right now there's only about 4 or 5 teams in the country I can see us beating in a one off championship game.

As Turk said - if we won a Leinster title, or got to the AI quarters beating at least two real teams on the way, then okay, he's done well.

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

I think we're getting to the core of the discussion here now.
KK will ultimately be judged on Championship performances and not on the league (although there's no question that staying should also count). The reality is that in the last few years we haven't won a leinster champ tie of note (no disrespect to Louth). Laois, Westmeath have all had good days at our expense in the last few years. Our qualifier record has been dismal and I think a good run in the qualifiers would bring on the team more than Div 1, but losses to football kingpins Carlow, Wexford & Clare haven't given much to shout about.

It's still not too late to salvage the season, its early days yet in one sense and if we can do well in the last two games of lge you'd never know.
If we could beat wastemeath then that would be the first "big" win in Leinster in years and that could do wonders for the confidence which is what we really lack.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

I'll put my head on the block (looking for odds now LS) and say that we will stay up and also take Westmeath in the first round. I don't like looking too far ahead so i'll leave it at that!!!!
This is on the basis of the lads working hard for each other and their own personal pride and not of any input that KK et al will provide.

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

What about the team changes?

Meehan for injured Kelly, Karol Slattery out injured , Grennan and Lynam to half back, Ross Connor in at midfield, Neville Half Forward, Leonard Mooney in for John Reynolds.

I reckon they're as good as we could have done in the circumstances.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I'd like to think that it could happen, but I think that in the modern game good players can't manage by themselves, they need the tactical input from someone reading the game and plugging holes - it's a four or five point gap to bridge, and while I do think we're better than Westmeath and Monaghan, player wise, I don't think we're five points better.

Bookies are making us favourites ever so slightly this weekend - I don't agree, but based on the fact that we'll need to win this and next weekend to stay up in all likelihood, I'd say 4/1 to survive.

As for the Westmeath game, if I was pricing it now, 4/7 Wasters, 7/1 Draw 9/5 ourselves, or 1/2 vs 8/5 progression - but I hope I'm wrong. Needless to say that would shorten if we did stay up, so I'd say a combined 10/1 would be the price on the three. A bet I'd gladly pay out on .....

Ron
All Star

Post by Ron »

Come on lads! What's the verdict on yesterdays game?

It was almost a brilliant victory in my view. I thought the lads showed great battle with 14 men to overhaul a 4 point lead and might've won the game. Probably their best performance so far in the league in difficult conditions in Tullamore. Some great movement up through the field in the second half especially.

Its a pity other results didn't go our way, can a win over Fermanagh save us at this stage?