Liam Dunne vs John Troy

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Liam Dunne vs John Troy

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Did anyone watch Laochra Gael last night?
A lot of attention was paid to Dunne's sendings off especially the 3 in a row 2000 to 2002.
In 2000 he got sent off against Offaly for two bookings.
The first one was for batting down on Paudie Mulhare's head, the next was for hitting John Troy's hand.
All the Wexford people (Dunne, Tony Dempsey, Liam "windbag" Griffin) on the programme were accusing John Troy of playacting, diving and comparing it Hollywood.
Dunne in his book made similar accusations against Troy.

What they tended to ignore was that it was very much in Dunne's nature to pull such strokes.
He admitted that the pull on Paudie Mulhare's helmet was out of frustration.
It should be noted that John Troy had been out for several weeks before that game with a broken hand. I don't doubt that Dunne would have known this and would have wanted to put Troy's hand "to the test" with a dirty flick.
Surely Troy's pained reaction might have been explained by this prior injury?

There was no love lost between them.
Dunne also walloped Troy on the head in 1996, with the wink and nod approval of Griffin, who more or less told Dunne to get revenge for Troy scelping him in 1994.
I thought the re-enactment of Dunne's sendings off were unnecessary as they glorified his behaviour.

In the early 90s Dunne and John Power used to have their own sideshow of wild and dirty pulls across each other.
The sliotar only needed to be in the general area and they were hacking limbs off one another.
On balance the 3 red cards he received in later years was making up for what went on before.

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

I thought I saw an interview some years ago with Liam Dunne where he pointed to John Troy as somebody with whom he could have a good tussle -with no hard feelings afterward.

Liam Dunne was some hurler though - he deserved his All Ireland,

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Funny how its never Liam dunne's fault when he gets sent off.

Of course, they never mentiioned Dunne's hack down on John when he was bearing down on goal in 1999.

When John Troy always hurled well when he was fully fit and marking Lian Dunne:-

1994- John got RTE man of the match.
1995- Dunne was wing-back. George O'Connor wore 6.
1996- John had one of his best games for Offaly, even though they lost.
1997- John was only back from injury and was nowhere near fully fit.
1998- Dunne was out with the broken leg.
1999- Again, John had a fine game, won his allstar that year.
2000- as 1997 above.

QED.