Against the spirit of the decision

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.

Should players who know they are guilty of rule breaches appeal their suspension on a technicality

YES
14%
NO
86%

Total votes: 14

Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh
Senior

Against the spirit of the decision

Post by Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh »

Any opinions on the fact that the players involved in the Omagh incident should have taken their punishment and not appealed on a technicallity.

I believe it goes against the spirt of the games and those players cannot honestly take to the field knowing they have a right to be there. They broke the rules (as seen on footage) and now they must do their time. It is a worrying development within the association over the last number of years to appeal until the correct decision has over turned, and it is indicative of overall Irish society as we have the highest rate of appeal in Europe for traffic speeding offenses and Drunk Driving.

If these players cannot take the punishment they should not be playing our games, this win at all costs is determental to the overall ethos and objectives of our great Nationalist organisation. I for one had a great respect for Tyrone, however it has diminised greatly over this most recent incident (the appeals).
Last edited by Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh on Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Complete agreement with this sentiment. The contrast in our games with the likes of golf and rugby where the rules are sacrosanct is sharp.

It's a fair analogy too when you compare it to the country as a whole. We're not really big on personal responsibility and the concept of the greater good in Ireland.

I never really liked John Mullane as an individual, but you've got to hand it to him, very few seem willing to follow in his footsteps and accept the spirit of the rules.

Tom
County player

Post by Tom »

We seem to be the only county to suffer as a result of these appeals (i.e. The Tyrone game). But in fairness to the players, if they can get off on a technicality they will. While i don't agree with them doing it, i can understand why! It is up to the head honchos at Croker to ammend rules so this can't happen in the future.