Enough's Enough.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Okay, I assumed he wasn't on anything like that. If it is the case - who the f**k authorised that kind of money on a guy who failed at schools level, failed at club level and had no achievements of note in his managerial career?

Is that definitely the case? It's disgraceful if it is.

The Biff
All Star

Hyper

Post by The Biff »

Hyper - where did you get your info from? It's not that I know otherwise (I don't) but, like LS, I would find that level of "expenses" hard to believe for a manager of KK's calibre and record, and that was before he took the job.

If this is just what you think he must be getting because some other County Managers are getting that type of money, or is this what you and your mates settled on in the pub after Saturday night?

I'd just hate to see spurious "evidence" deflect the argument about what is in the best interests of Offaly Football.

As Such Ger
County player

Post by As Such Ger »

while we are on this topic, how do all county boards write off these payments to managers? Is it always lumped into the "training and team preperation" section on the yearly accounts? or does any county actually say "managerial expenses @ 50cent per mile, with 40000 miles travelled this year"?

Treasurer
All Star

Kilmurray

Post by Treasurer »

I'd be more than surprised if that figure is remotely accurate.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

On mature reflection that does seem like a ludicrous figure, when you factor in what a huge portion of our team expenses that would be. I understand (but don't agree with the principle of) the O'Mahony's and Maughans of this world commanding large sums - but for KK to command this amount? Surely not.

Anyway, if he is on this amount of money, then he would surely have been fired by now - it's one thing to be incompetent when you're just doing your best for your county, and just struggling to make things happen - it's another if our county board shelled out over €4k for managerial expertise in a month like the last four weeks we just had.

seamroga
Senior

Post by seamroga »

I think it's inappropriate and unfair to be guessing about what a manager is or isn't on.
That being said, I would like to know what some of the top managers (it's best not to name names) are or have been on, just to see if we could come up with that type of money in the future.
There's been a good bit of talk about whether or not Kevin Kilmurray should leave. But who's out there to come in. We could have even more egg on our faces if two or three weeks passed without a manager.
I didn't blame Sligo for getting rid of Dominic Corrigan after losing to Waterford, but at the time of writing, I haven't heard of them obtaining a permanent replacement. It would be terrible pressure to get someone in, in a short space of time.
With Barry Mooney, James Keane and Shane Sullivan all injured, and other key players from recent years not available, I don't think anyone from outside the county would come in. And who from Offaly would take on the task at this stage? Therefore, in my opinion, we should stick with the management and urge them to call in extra support.
Remember Mike Mac swallowed his pride and invited Michael Duignan in with the hurlers a couple of years ago.
Even at that, we're hardly going to get Jimmy Grennan and Cathal Daly back, which I still believe is necessary. I don't believe their return would be met with negativity by the current panellists - it happens all over the country that some players don't appear for the early stages of the league. But there's no point dwelling on it I suppose, it's hypothetical. Unfortunately.

Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh
Senior

Post by Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh »

I'd imagine Hyers estimate is over the top, but we cannnot deny that large sums of money are being spent on the preparation of our county teams at the expense of the clubs. It has now come to pass in Offaly that the clubs are fundraising arms of the association in order to feed the elite players.

I also believe that the Offaly Academys are failing and that in order to achieve future success,we require to cut our cloth right now, accept that we will not be a force in either code. Abandon the Acadamies, the costs involved in the getting the elite players to venues around the county are ridiculious. Hire top level coaches and get back to the schools and the clubs, improve internal underage championships and leagues, bring a proposal to leinster council to form an underage provincial championship after the county finals, (an ulster idea).

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

I hear that at a recent meeting it was decided to "abolish" the u10 and u 12 championships. If they want a championship Edenderry,Rhode,Clara will have to organise their own one-is this true?, maybe the Treaurer can help out here.........

Treasurer
All Star

U10 & U12

Post by Treasurer »

As far as I know, there's a proposal coming from Bord na nOg that the U-10 championship be abolished in its present format and be run as a blitz competition instead, with the U-12 championship to remain as is.

I'm open to correction on this, will check it out.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

A reminder of bygone halcyon days..........

Blue day for Dubs as sharper Offaly deliver

OFFALY 1-11
DUBLIN 1-8

HIGH-FLYING Offaly brought down their second Leinster football giant within the space of three months, when beating the Dubs at Parnell Park yesterday.

The midlanders followed up their eight-point thrashing of Meath in in the Leinster final, by ensuring a second successive pointless NFL return for Dublin and so precipitated the resignation of Dublin manager Mickey Whelan.

DECLINED TO COMMENT

Afterwards, Whelan declined to comment on his future, but Dublin County Board secretary John Costello, who, at first, stated that no statement would be issued until after a Board meeting tomorrow night. However, he later confirmed that Whelan had stepped down after being informed that players had broken the news to the media.

The resignation does not come as a surprise given the amount of pressure that Whelan has been under. But the stepping down would surely have been more timely after the first round defeat by Sligo rather than following a match which his side were going to find very difficult to win.

And the match will be remembered for a further reason rather than the actual result. An ugly incident 13 minutes into the second half saw Offaly defender Finbarr Cullen have three of his front teeth knocked out as a result of a blow.

Cullen was stretchered off the pitch, and rushed to hospital. Fortunately, following the match, the teeth were found on the pitch, and an operation allowed them to be replaced in the player's gum.

Afterwards, Offaly manager Tommy Lyons condemned the incident which led to Cullen's injury, and revealed he was aware of the identity of the Dublin player involved.

``For most of the 60 minutes, the match was very hard but fair,'' said Lyons. ``But there were periods when punches and the likes were being thrown. Our players are under strict instructions to always maintain their discipline and I was happy that they didn't deviate from that pattern today.''

After consultation with linesmen and umpires, referee Paddy Russell took no action. Earlier, Russell had booked Dublin's Eamonn Heery, Jim Gavin and Keith Barr, as well as Offaly's Sean Grennan.

Mickey Whelan remarked that he did not see the incident involving Cullen, and so didn't know which of his players was responsible. But Whelan did admit that he would be very upset about any player receiving such an injury.

NO COMPLAINT

Whelan and his players could have no complaint about the result, as Offaly were the superior team, both individually and collectively.

Dublin could not be faulted for commitment and endeavour, but in terms of football sharpness, cohesion and inventiveness, they were fighting an uphill struggle for most of the 60 minutes.

Progression to this year's All-Ireland semi-final has served to considerably enhance the teamwork, understanding and polish of Offaly's play and yesterday they were invariably the slicker moving of the two sides.

This was particularly evident by the way the Dublin defence was opened up on a number of occasions in the first half. As well as the goal by Peter Brady, following a save by Dublin goalkeeper David Byrne from Vinny Claffey, the visitors could have netted a couple more in the initial 30 minutes.

Just before half-time Offaly led 1-5 to 1-3 at the interval Dublin wing-back Jonathan McGee superbly deflected a searing shot from Finbarr Cullen over the bar. And earlier, Offaly midfielder Ciaran McManus, completely unmarked, shot wide from a favourable position.

Offaly's James Grennan, and Ciaran McManus, though guilty of some wayward kicking, generally controlled the midfield battle against Paul Bealin and Darren Homan.

The vigilant visiting defence consistently crowded out the Dublin attack, with Cathal Daly, John Kenny and Cullen particularly catching the eye.

Up front, the pace, ball-winning ability and support play of Ronan Mooney, Vinny Claffey and Peter Brady regularly had the Dublin defence in trouble.

SCORERS Offaly: P Brady 1-1, J Grennan, R Mooney, C Quinn 0-2 each, J Kenny, F Cullen, V Claffey 0-1 each, S Manley 0-1 free. Dublin: P Bealin 1-1 (1-0 pen), D Darcy 0-4 (0-3 frees), J Gavin 0-2, D Homan 0-1.

OFFALY P Kelly; C Daly, B Malone, J Brady; J Kenny, F Cullen, T Coffey; J Grennan, C McManus; S Manley, S Grennan, R Mooney; V Claffey, C Quinn, P Brady. Subs: B Wynne for Cullen (inj 44), R Malone for Manley (61).

DUBLIN D Byrne; P Moran, I Robertson, P Christie; J McGee, K Barr, E Heery; P Bealin, D Homan; C Whelan, P Curran, E Sheehy; J Gavin, D Darcy, M Doran. Subs: D Harrington for Moran (inj 10), M Deegan for Doran (half-time), R Boyle for Curran (51).

REF P Russell (Tipperary).

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

I think its probably a bit late now to be calling for Kilmurray's head, the reality is that he was the wrong man for the job from day one!!!

The simple truth is that the Offaly team at the moment player for player is not a patch on the Offaly team that won Leinster back in 97. Too many of the players are just average club footballers who rarely if ever stand out in even a club match let alone a county game!!! This fact is also highlighted in Offaly's miserable record of never being able to put two big performances back to back!!!

I suppose if we were to be pretty honest about it, Offaly football has being in decline for the last number of years, the club championship is mediocre at best, the county panels has seen pretty much the same faces toggin out every year & while occasionally there is a new face drafted in that would be long over due a run...he will inevitably be rarely if ever played & certainly won't feature come championship day!!!

Then of course you have to look at underage success to see where we might be bloodying our stars of tomorrow....unfortunately since offaly once held that proud record of 10 years without winning a game in the Under 21 championship & but for this year when our minors made a decent run in the minor championship....we have never looked like winning a minor title!!!

My point in all of this is that maybe not all of Offaly's problems should be blamed at Kevin Kilmurray, up until saturday evening most people would have said 1 win & 1 defeat wasn't that bad a start to the year & while the performance against Dublin was by all accounts woeful, teams do unfortunately have days like that!!!

Like what do people really think should happen....Kevin Kilmurray resign after a bad performance, then Offaly bring in a new manager who wins us an All Ireland??

Offaly are probably at best the 5th or 6th team in Leinster at the min, not because of Kevin Kilmurray but because they don't have the players that can win 2 games back to back, that problem was there before Kevin Kilmurray & will probably be there long after he's gone too!!!

By May no one will even remember the dublin game & if Offaly win against Westmeath the players will all be heroes & Kilmurray will be branded "the special one" by the so called experts!!
The Untouchable

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Okay, those points would be valid - if it wasn't for the fact that we are losing games because of managerial incompetance.

Thomas Deehan was the form forward so far this year - he was dropped for the Dublin game.

Niall McNamee is not a freetaker.

Karol Slattery is a great attacking wing back - you may as well tie a ball and chain to his leg as tell him not to cross half way.

Slow high ball into James Coughlan is nonsensical.

Running the ball into traffic when we don't have the conditioning to do so is doomed to failure.

If you're losing 0-8 to 0-4 in Carlow to Carlow, all fifteen players are not playing well - you should not have all 15 still lined out where they started.

Making no substitutions for 55 minutes in an under 21 game in Longford when it's all falling apart is inexcusable.

I could go on, but I have a pizza in the oven. Poor players are not responsible for all this stuff. Management is.

If you could name just one managerial master stroke they pulled to counteract this, I'd listen, but to be honest I can't.