Katie Taylor

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Katie Taylor

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

If she gives up the boxing, might get her auld man in as manager for Offaly, a great coach!

What a great role model she is and a real credit to her family. Really is what the Olympics was always about and it brought me back to growing up watching the likes of Carl Lewis, Barry McGuigan and Pat Delaney!
This week looking at her interviews as a kid, has really made her into a complete hero, this is her dream and what she has worked for. She appears to be one special person who could have a real impact on this country outside of sport over the coming years.
Well done to all who helped her to achieve this and fair play to her for giving us such inspriration!!

Never thought female sport outside of beach volleyball would get me so excited!!

kinnittyman
All Star

Re: Katie Taylor

Post by kinnittyman »

I'll second all that. What an inspiration!!!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

its not just this olympics but Katie has been outstanding for the last few years, winning world and euro titles also
but today cap it all off she is a credit to her family and her country well done Kate Taylor.................. :P

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Huge achievement by Katie Taylor and it has genuinely lifted the country.

On a side note, anyone see the dude from Offaly going mental with the mid 90's Carroll Meats jersey in the crowd?

Fair ball to him, I'd say he was polluted afterwards.
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

True Red wrote:Huge achievement by Katie Taylor and it has genuinely lifted the country.

On a side note, anyone see the dude from Offaly going mental with the mid 90's Carroll Meats jersey in the crowd?

Fair ball to him, I'd say he was polluted afterwards.
i think it was Mick Smokey McDonagh from tullamore who is at most GAA games with his offaly jersey :lol:

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

First and foremost, well done to Katie, and to everyone who helped her along the way, be it family, friends, coaches etc. It's taken a huge commitment and it's always great to see that rewarded.

However I have to say that I'm actually taken aback by how invested I was in this. Of course you always like to see your own doing well, whether it be Irish golfers, the Irish soccer team, rugby team or whatever, but I found myself in bits watching her fights and feeling the kind of tension that would usually be reserved for Ferbane/Offaly teams. In fact I can honestly say that during today's final, it was the most emotionally involved I've felt in anything since the Gallen semi final in 2011 against Holy Trinity - pure tension, agonising stuff.

And I'm not entirely sure why this is. I'll watch out for the other boxers tomorrow and I'll hope they win, but it's not on the same scale. I don't know whether it's a bandwagon effect, or the fact that she's such a likeable individual, or maybe the feeling that she deserves it so much after being on top of the tree for so long without getting a shot at an Olympic medal, but either way, it was a joy to see it and I hope that someday she'll realise quite how much joy she's brought to so many people.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Lone Shark wrote:

However I have to say that I'm actually taken aback by how invested I was in this. Of course you always like to see your own doing well, whether it be Irish golfers, the Irish soccer team, rugby team or whatever, but I found myself in bits watching her fights and feeling the kind of tension that would usually be reserved for Ferbane/Offaly teams. In fact I can honestly say that during today's final, it was the most emotionally involved I've felt in anything since the Gallen semi final in 2011 against Holy Trinity - pure tension, agonising stuff.

And I'm not entirely sure why this is. I'll watch out for the other boxers tomorrow and I'll hope they win, but it's not on the same scale. I don't know whether it's a bandwagon effect, or the fact that she's such a likeable individual, or maybe the feeling that she deserves it so much after being on top of the tree for so long without getting a shot at an Olympic medal, but either way, it was a joy to see it and I hope that someday she'll realise quite how much joy she's brought to so many people.
Yea. Me too. Still trying to figure that out myself. Maybe we just fancy tough women. Hope its more sophisticated than that :)
Let you know if I figure it out.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."