Long Summers

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
townman
All Star

Long Summers

Post by townman »

its a bollix having both teams out of the championship early every year, and our underage sides in both codes
even the few hurling championship club games that have been played theirs no life in them.

was watching the TG4 last night about sport in the 80's sure it was nearly all about offaly hurling football, i was lucky enough to be born
and old enough to see them sides, fcuk what have the young crowd to look forward today to watch in offaly.

as i am living in kilkenny a few years now my kids are hurling and kilkenny mad, but they do go to some offaly or Birr club games
my oldest said to me on the way back from offaly Galway in portlaoise why do you watch offaly they never win anything.

i said there was a time when we won everything, leinsters football and hurling back to back in both codes 1980,1981, we had great club sides
ST.Rynaghs in the 80's the great Walsh Island side in football Ferbane to, then the great Birr sides 90's and early 2000's.

we didn't know how good we had it back then we do now :cry:

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Re: Long Summers

Post by ryot »

Too true Townman

Winning Leinster v Louth in 60, what a day that was for this then 12 year old

and it got better,

68 beating the All Ireland Champions in a Leinster Semi

71, 82 and on and on, so many long summers, quite a few of them were wet days too !!!!

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Ah Jayz Townman! A bright Friday morning, looking forward to vital club championship games this weekend , and ya go and burst the bubble! Be greatful that you, like me were around to witness the glory days, time to look forward now and get stuck in where ya can to help change things.
No point in getting involved in the whingefest here, and then heading off to fish or golf for the weekend!! Do something to change it!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Ah Jayz Townman! A bright Friday morning, looking forward to vital club championship games this weekend , and ya go and burst the bubble! Be greatful that you, like me were around to witness the glory days, time to look forward now and get stuck in where ya can to help change things.
No point in getting involved in the whingefest here, and then heading off to fish or golf for the weekend!! Do something to change it!
well i have to go to Thurles on sunday as the other half is a Comer woman as that is my home now, but i would much rather offaly were hurling this weekend :(

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Jesus I remember them days well, it seemed as we were in Croker every Sunday either football or hurling and later on we were their while Croker was been rebuilt, now that Croker is finished we are not good enough to be there, still there are not too many county followers alive that can say that they were in Croker when their county won SAM & McCarthy.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

summerindublin wrote:Jesus I remember them days well, it seemed as we were in Croker every Sunday either football or hurling and later on we were their while Croker was been rebuilt, now that Croker is finished we are not good enough to be there, still there are not too many county followers alive that can say that they were in Croker when their county won SAM & McCarthy.
thats true not even the great counties like Kerry and Kilkenny can say that :D

SearingDrive
All Star

Post by SearingDrive »

ryot wrote:Too true Townman

Winning Leinster v Louth in 60, what a day that was for this then 12 year old

and it got better,

68 beating the All Ireland Champions in a Leinster Semi

71, 82 and on and on, so many long summers, quite a few of them were wet days too !!!!
I thought I was the only one to remember those great days, Thanks RYOT.
Offaly won 3 games that day in 1969, SF, SH, and MF. Headline on Monday's Indo was 'Offaly Kings of Croke Park.

Happy days indeed.