Championship Draws

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Championship Draws

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

I hear the draws were made for the champ tonight, anyone know the story?? Treasurer???

Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh
Senior

Post by Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh »

Senior Football

Details:
Finalists for 2005 are seeded (Rhode, Shamrocks). No weak group. Top two teams in each group qualify for knockout stages.

Winner of group 1 & 2 qualify for S/F. Winner of group 3 play 2nd team in group 1 and runner up in group 3 play 2nd team in group 2. Semi Finals by open draw. Bottom team in each group to play off league system to relegate two teams.

Group 1
Rhode
Ballycumber
Edenderry
Ferbane
Tullamore

Group 2
Shamrocks
Gracefield
Doon
Erin Rovers

Group 3
St. Brigids
Shannonbridge
St. Ryanaghs
Clara

Junior Football

Details:
Top two teams in each group to qualify for knockout stages. Winner of group 1 & 2 qualify for S/F. Winner of group 3 play 2nd team in group 1 and runner up in group 3 play 2nd team in group 2. Semi Finals by open draw. Bottom team in each group to play off league system to relegate two teams.

Group 1
Shannonbridge
KilcormacKilhoughy
Clara
Cappincur

Group 2
Ballinagar
Killeigh
Ballycommon
Ferbane

Group 3
Shamrocks
Ballycumber
Edenderry
Gracefield

Junior Hurling

Details:
Top team in each group to qualify for semi-final. Second team in each group to play-off for remaining semi-final spot. Winner to be promoted to Intermediate. Bottom team in each group play off for relegation.

Group 1
Tullamore
Gracefield
KilcormacKiloughey
Coolderry

Group 2
St. Ryanaghs
Birr
Seir Keiran
Killurin

Group 3
Brosna Gaels
Shamrocks
Rhode
Edenderry

U-21 Football

Championship starting in 2 weeks, on a knockout basis

Round 1
A) St. Colemans vs Na Fianna
B) Ferbane vs Gracfield
C) St. Broughans vs Shamrocks
D) Tullamore vs Shannon Gaels
E) St. Patricks vs St, Michaels

Quarter Finals
Clara vs winners D
St. Manchans vs winners E
A vs B
C vs St. Colms

Intermediate Football

Top two teams in each group to qualify for knockout stages. Winner of group 1 & 2 qualify for S./F. Winner of group 3 play 2nd team in group 1 and runner up in group 3 play 2nd team in group 2. Semi Finals by open draw. Bottom team in each group to play off league system to relegate two teams.

Group 1
Walsh Island
Durrow
Tullamore
Daingean

Group 2
Birr
Tubber
Bracknagh
Rhode

Group 3
Raheen
Ballyfore
Kilclonfert
Clonbulloge

Junior B Football

Group 1
Coolderry
Crinkle
Ballysenach
Killivilla

Group 2
Doon
St. Ryanaghs
Ballycumber
Erin Rovers
Tubber

Group 3
Daingean
Clara
Raheen
Clonbulloge
Durrow

Group 3
St. Brigids
Ballyfore
Clonmore Harps
Bracknagh
Rhode
Last edited by Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh on Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh wrote:
Group 1
Rhode
Ballycumber
Edenderry
Ferbane

Group 2
Shamrocks
Gracefield
Doon
Erin Rovers

Group 3
St. Brigids
Shannonbridge
St. Ryanaghs
Clara
Tullamore
Not the amount of local derbies we'd all hoped for, but a lot to look forward to nonetheless. Group 1 looks like a pretty even contest to see who'd accompany Rhode - if they keep up this year's form then you'd have to say Ballycumber, but then that's a big if. Feck all between them and the other two anyway. By the same token anyone could get drawn into the battle for the drop too. In this regard I would be worried for Ferbane - not odds on, but favourites for it all the same.

Group 2 is definitely the soft one - in any other group Doon and Gracefield would have been big outsiders, in here they're 50/50 to go through. Shamrocks will coast through if they even play at 70%, while Gracefield might have the edge in that they should find the going a lot easier against Pullough than Doon will. Only slight.

Group three is very tough on the teams involved - no semi final place to play for, and no weaker than any other group on paper. Tullamore will obviously be favourites, and you'd have to say Clara to join, with the added motivation that last year's one point loss to Brigid's will give them. It's honestly hard to see Rynagh's or the Bridge getting points off anyone bar each other - leaving the loser of that game in real trouble.

That should be enough to cause some controversy bright and early of a Wednesday morning .... :D

Treasurer
All Star

Draws

Post by Treasurer »

http://www.ballyskenagh.com/pages/2006/groups.html

Sean Ban has Tullamore in Group 3 in the SFC - I'm pretty sure they're in group 1.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Which is correct draw for senior football? Is Tullamore in Grp 1 or 3?

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Tullamore Grp 1

Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh
Senior

Post by Seán Boyle Ó Rathallaigh »

apologies, an obivious typo

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Group 1 looks like a pretty even contest to see who'd accompany Rhode - if they keep up this year's form then you'd have to say Ballycumber,
In 3 competitive matches in 2005 (2 championship and one league match)Edenderry beat Ballycumber comprehensively and LS still seems to call it in favour of the west Offaly side?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

True Red wrote:In 3 competitive matches in 2005 (2 championship and one league match)Edenderry beat Ballycumber comprehensively and LS still seems to call it in favour of the west Offaly side?
Yup. And you never seem to remember that every time this comes up, I keep saying that Edenderry wanted a shot at Rhode, and Ballycumber didn't. Ballycumber had nothing to play for in either of those two games, and in the end did better for losing them. I don't think anyone would consider those games to be Ballycumber's true form. As for the league, a lot of odd results happened in the league. I wouldn't mind that.

Subtle the way you threw in "West Offaly" there as well. :D

Anyway, that switch of Tullamore changes everything - group 1 is now very tough, and to be honest on paper all three other clubs look big outsiders to take slots that seem earmarked for Rhode and Tullamore.

It also makes group C look quare weak.

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Maybe I'm being a bit pedantic!

No just plan stupid ! :oops:
Last edited by the bare biffo on Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

The teams that are relegated are relegated to Intermediate. Groups 1-3 are decided from an open draw so there is no advantage. The only teams that get any sort of an advantage are the finalists from the previous year,in this case Rhode and Shamrocks,who are seeded into grps 1 and 2 and these group winners go straight to semi final though the disadvantage is/was that one of the groups have five teams .

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

I think the draw has made this years championship some what interesting. Rhode will do very well to go through their group unbeaten & provided they make it out of the group they could easily be beaten because in truth they are going to have 4 very hard games to just get out of the group.

Can't understand why Lone Shark tips Shamrocks to top the group "playing at 70%", considering Gracefield have beaten Shamrocks in most of their previous meetings, Shamrocks also lack the scoring power to match a team like Doon!!! Shamrocks I reckon will do well to get out of the group, mainly because their 2 most influential players from last year...Shane Guinan & Ronan Mooney are both unlikely to be playing for Shamrocks this year because my sources tell me that Shane is gettin a shoulder operation pretty soon that will rule him out for most of the year & Ronan Mooney is not returning home this summer!!!

Without those two players Shamrocks will be no where near as good as they were last year.

Reckon Clara could be the dark horses for this years championship, the draw has being very kind to them so they should come out of the group without too much hassle & they seem to have got most of their big name players back so could prove a tricky team to beat.
The Untouchable

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

the Untouchable wrote: Shamrocks I reckon will do well to get out of the group, mainly because their 2 most influential players from last year...Shane Guinan & Ronan Mooney are both unlikely to be playing for Shamrocks this year because my sources tell me that Shane is gettin a shoulder operation pretty soon that will rule him out for most of the year & Ronan Mooney is not returning home this summer!!!
I'd disagree with your judgement on who the most influential players are, but that's one thing - but to say Shamrocks will do well to get out of the group?

If you want to lay me 1/2 odds or anything even close I'll take all you'll give me - they're 90% to get out of that group.

redser
County player

Post by redser »

Some interesting games in the coming year, theres no denying that.

I fancy Rhode and Tullamore to come out of group 1. Edenderry wont be too far away though. Ballycumber and Ferbane will be competitive but not enough class to beat the top guns.

Gracefield to top Group 2 and i have a feeling Doon could sneak the second spot. Alot of Doon players are very happy with the group and with the new management and coaching team this year they have set their sights high. An outside bet to make the county final if they avoid Rhode in the quarter or semi. Shamrocks have lost 4 or 5 players from last year and i cant see them being able to come back from how their championship ended last year. Erin Rovers will battle very hard in all games. They wont be easily beaten.

Clara and Brigids to go through. The Bridge will push hard but might just about lose out. Rynaghs will be competitive but cant see them making the knock out stages.

Rhode to win the championship. Tullamore to be the toughest opposition on the way.

Hocker
All Star

Predictions for this years senior football

Post by Hocker »

Group 1
Rhode
Ballycumber
Edenderry ----------- Rhode & Tullamore
Ferbane
Tullamore

Group 2
Shamrocks