Offaly's dual players

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Offaly's dual players

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I got this list from the Programme from the NHL (v Galway) and NFL (v Wexford) double header at Tullamore last year. I must say thanks to the contributor known as Phoenix for this. Programmes were sold out by the time I got into OCP and I badgered him into giving me his. Phoenix, I knew some good would come of this 

The 30 dual players are:-
Ned Holland (Tullamore)
Seán Robbins (Birr)*
Dinny Walsh (Tullamore)*
Rody O’Brien (Tullamore)
Ned Nolan (Tullamore)
Jimmy Henry (Daingean & Tullamore)
Jimmy Coughlan (Tullamore)
Jack Gibney (Tullamore)
Dermot Dunne (Tullamore)
Paddy McIntyre (Cloghan)
Jim Kelly (Tullamore)
Mickey Flynn (Tullamore)
Tom Sheeran (Killeigh)
Stephen Gavin (Birr)
Mickey Furlong (Tullamore)
Noel McGee (Tullamore)
Dick Conroy (Tullamore)
Eamonn Fox (Tullamore)
Joe Bracken (Tullamore)
Peter Daly (Tullamore0
Paudge Mulhare (St Rynagh’s)
Liam Currams (Kilcormac)
Ollie Minnock (Clara)
Michael Duignan (St Rynagh’s)
John Ryan (Shannonbridge)
Paudie Mulhare (St Rynagh’s)
Cillian Farrell (Edenderry)
Neville Coughlan (Shamrocks)
Conor Mahon (Kilcormac-Killoughey)
Seán Ryan (Birr)

Many are from Tullamore and Jack Gibney, Dermot Dunne, Jim Kelly and Mickey Flynn would have played on the Tullamore side who won 4-in-a-row Senior titles between 1934 and 1937.
Paddy McIntyre was a long-serving defender who played football for Offaly for most of the 1940s. Tom Sheeran started out as a corner-back for the footballers in 1948 before moving into goals where he was an ever-present for four years. At the same time he was a regular with the hurlers where he lined out either at centre-forward or full-forward.
Stephen Gavin made 3 championship appearances for the footballers in 1946 and 1947 while also lining out with the hurlers and being part of Birr’s 6-in-11 years of the 1940s.
Mick Furlong, Noel McGee and Dick Conroy were better known as footballers but the three also lined put with the hurlers around the time Tullamore won the HC in 1955 and 1959. Eamonn Fox was better known as a hurler (12 c’ship appearances between ’63 and ‘69) but also played football against Carlow in 1960. Joe Bracken was prominent at both codes around that time too as was Peter Daly (who was a dual player in 1960 and ’62 and who lined out in the All-Irelands of 1960 and ’61).

There have been just ten dual players since that long list of Tullamore men. Paudge Mulhare was a championship footballer before he was a hurler, making three appearances for the footballers in 1965, ’66 and in the 1967 Leinster Final, but played County hurling until 1975.

Clara’s Ollie Minnock was an Offaly hurler (v Westmeath) before going on to make 13 championship appearances for the footballers between 1978 and 1987. Liam Currams won All-Irelands on both codes as everyone knows, first lining out for the footballers as a 19 year-old in 1980 (going on to make 13 c’ship appearances) and for the hurlers in 1981 (8 c’ship appearances) before injury unfortunately cut his career short at a very young age.

Since then Offaly’s dual players have been

Michael Duignan (4 in football in 1989 & 1991, 43 in hurling between 1988 and 2000),

John Ryan (2 in football in 1995 and 1998), 17 in hurling between 1998 and 2002),

Paudie Mulhare (17 in hurling between 1996 and 2000, then 5 with the footballers in 2002 and 2003)

Cillian Farrell (8 with the hurlers between 1997 and 2000, was a dual player in 2000 and made 3 appearances with the footballers up to 2004).

Neville Coughlan (first played championship football in his first year out of minor in 2001 and made 26 championship football appearances up to 2009, while also lining out 9 times with the hurlers in 2003, ’04 and ’05)

Conor Mahon was a county footballer before he was a hurler, coming on as a sub against Carlow for his sole SFC appearance and has since made 10 championship appearances to date.

Finally, Seán Ryan first played championship football appearing as a sub against Laois in 2006 and has made 13 SFC appearances. He combined both codes in 2007 and 2008 before concentrating on football before switching to hurling again and made his 5thSHC appearance against Wexford earlier this month.

Daniel Currams becomes Offaly's 31st dual player when he lines out against KIldare on Sunday.

* While the list comprises 30 names, only 28 have played Senior championship in both codes. Seán Robbins and Dinny Walsh played Senior hurling but Junior football at a time when Offaly didn't have a Senior football team and the 'first' team competed in the Junior championship.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Offaly's dual players

Post by bracknaghboy »

Herbs is on the ball as usual! Do league appearences count? For some reason I had it in my head that Stephen Weir had lined out both hurling and football at some stage in the last 8 years. He did play for the hurlers in the league although it may just have been junior football with Offaly he played.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

League doesn't count for this. if it did, Seán Grennan would count (off the top of me head) and so would Nigel Mannion (following a quick glance).

As regards Stephen Weir, he did play hurling championship, coming on against Wexford in 2003. I couldn't tell ya if he played league football.
bracknaghboy wrote:Herbs is on the ball as usual! Do league appearences count? For some reason I had it in my head that Stephen Weir had lined out both hurling and football at some stage in the last 8 years. He did play for the hurlers in the league although it may just have been junior football with Offaly he played.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Gents

31 ?

P J McIntyre, played both in 1965 and later played both for Kerry ?

Paddy McIntyre from the Forties
( was he an uncle to PJ and /or a brother of Mick Mack?) lived around Dunboyne and I believe played club there. Anyone know if he played for Meath in hurling or football. I think he played football with them anyway.
A grandson was a Meath hurler in recent years

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Correct on PJ McIntyre, ryot.

The first of the new generation from St Rynagh's to hurl county. He went on to win a Junior All-Ireland football title with Kerry in 1967. One of very few outsiders to play football for Kerry. A measure of his talents, I'm told by those who knew him..
ryot wrote:Gents

31 ?

P J McIntyre, played both in 1965 and later played both for Kerry ?

Paddy McIntyre from the Forties
( was he an uncle to PJ and /or a brother of Mick Mack?) lived around Dunboyne and I believe played club there. Anyone know if he played for Meath in hurling or football. I think he played football with them anyway.
A grandson was a Meath hurler in recent years

ryot
All Star

Post by ryot »

and I have to admit that my info on PJ came from a source very close to www.uibhfhaili.com

Just happened to see his name listed as kerry footballer on Weshie Fogarty site earlier today. Had an idea & just needed to check it and checked it out before passing the info to Kerry so a coincidence it cropped up here the same day !!!

ryot
All Star

Post by ryot »

Plain of Herbs

U might ask around about Paddy & Meath

(Now when he played for Dunboyne he might well have been double-jobbing, not unknown back then. Micksie Palmer of Kerry claimed to hae played in almost every county and he wasn't on his own !!!!)

alltheway
Intermediate

Post by alltheway »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:
Conor Mahon was a county footballer before he was a hurler, coming on as a sub against Carlow for his sole SFC appearance and has since made 10 championship appearances to date.
He also played in Croke Park as a late substitute versus the dubs!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Are yu sure, A? The records section of this site lists the five subs in that match as - Seán Ryan, Rory Connor, James Coughlan, Willie Mulhall and Shane Sullivan, but I will try and confirm that.
alltheway wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote: Conor Mahon was a county footballer before he was a hurler, coming on as a sub against Carlow for his sole SFC appearance and has since made 10 championship appearances to date.

alltheway
Intermediate

Post by alltheway »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Are yu sure, A? The records section of this site lists the five subs in that match as - Seán Ryan, Rory Connor, James Coughlan, Willie Mulhall and Shane Sullivan, but I will try and confirm that.
alltheway wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote: Conor Mahon was a county footballer before he was a hurler, coming on as a sub against Carlow for his sole SFC appearance and has since made 10 championship appearances to date.
Would he have been a blood sub maybe? I distinctly remember him appearing as near the Canal End touch line I remember Jason Sherlock hitting him a shoulder in the latter stages, again, I'd like to see the video or a detailed match report too.