Hurlers' League Chances

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Hurlers' League Chances

Post by Lone Shark »

A thought just occured to me - with our hurlers beginning to take a little bit of shape, and the new system whereby four of six teams in each group reach the quarter finals of the league, is there possibly merit in backing our boys at 25/1 to top group 1A with PP?

My thinking is this - we have Down away, and three of the other four big teams at home. Yesterday proved that there's not really a lot between us and the Strawberry Pickers, and I'd suggest that Waterford aren't miles in front either.

We'll be taking these games very seriously, because management will appreciate them having been stuck in the purgatory that was division 2 last year - which will be particularly prevalent in the closing games, when quarter final places might be secured all round.

We'd still probably have to beat Cork, but if we did that - and with Cork having started their training later than most, we're getting them in the best possible week in week 1.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying we're going to be even money against Cork or anything like it - more like 4/1 with the rebels trading @ 1/5 - but even so 25/1 payout on doing that, beating Down which I'd expect, and then getting two wins out of three against Wex, Wat and Clare - seems a touch of value to me.

Thoughts?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

'Welsh' Cup yesterday

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Watched this match yesterday, which, I must say, was a most enjoyable, lively affair, with a good standard of hurling on view.

Both teams started at a hectic pace, with Offaly scoring readily during the first 25 minutes, with a supply of low, good ball into Carroll, Bergin & Egan, at which stage Offaly led 1_7 to 0_2. Thereafter, the supply became rushed, and high, which didn't suit Egan, though Bergin did well on a smaller full-back. Wexford's goal coming almost on the 35 minute mark. Wexford were level on the 40th minute, and from there to the finish, it was score for score, Offaly scoring some fine points from far out, through Lee, Brown and Bergin, who had moved to the '40' and did well on Declan Ruth.

Wexford's goal levelled the game on the 35th minute, though a Lee shot from distance went narrowly wide. Doyle scored the winner from the puck out.

On yestersday's display, this Offaly team have wintered well. Of the newcomers, O'Meara was impressive, good in the air and cleared well. Cleary was solid at full-back. Bergin had a fine game, first on Keith Rossiter at FF, and later when moved to CHF. Good in the air, and knows where the posts are. Eamonn Lee was introducd early in the second half and settled in well, was flying by the finish. As stated above, Alan Egan did well when the supply was low and got some chances to stretch his legs, I'd like to see him be more direct, shorten the grip and use his weaker side.

Alot of Wexford's scored came from overlapping players, Mossy Mahon in particular coming through the centre unmarked to take a pass and score. Perhaps a more defence-oriented midfielder is required. This is the role once filled by Barry Whelahan, who covered back when Brian was covering one side of the field. While Cordial did the covering behind the centre-back from the puck-out, Mahon was allowed roam unnoticed from broken play. Perhaps this is a role for Ger Oakley, with Rory Hannify hurling CHB. Just a thought.

All in all, a pleasing performance, and perhaps a trip to Kilkenny for a alsh Cup final is a task I'd sooner leave to Wexford at this stage of the year. It allows for a week of heavy training this week in advance of the Cork visit in 2 weeks. Based on yesterday, if Offaly can overcome Laois in the quarter final, The Leinster semi-final promises, even at this stage, to be the match of the year.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

What's the feeling about Joe Bergin?
Is it too early to think of him as a championship starter?
Maybe we don't want to push him too much, too soon. Or is he way better than the competition and has to be on the team?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I can only go on the Antrim game, and I thought he looked like a guy who would develop for the experience but would still find the Diarmuid O'Sullivans, Declan Ruths and Phillip Mahers of this world a bit much to handle. In saying that, he has no fear of reputation from what I can tell, so he might surprise us.

In saying all that, Cathal Parlon was at a similar stage this time last year, so I wouldn't like to get carried away. If he has a good year at under 21 I'll be happy.

BOG OAK
Junior B

Hurlers chances

Post by BOG OAK »

This is how I see the hurlers perform during the league
Play well against Cork but no win 0 points
win against Down 2 points
Win against Wexford 2 points
Clare to win in Ennis 0 points
Win against Waterford 2 points

Total points 6 points

This should get them to the quatre finals and the rest will depend on their opposition. I also think they will qualify for the Leinster Final which will be against Killkenny and will be our most important game since we played them in 2000. The effort and focus in training by all the players has never being as good so we will wait and see how the management improve the skill levels and tactics.

I am glad to see some positive reactions to our hurlers we need more of it.

edenderry
Junior B

cork team

Post by edenderry »

cork team named -

CORK (SH v Offaly): D. Óg Cusack; W. Sherlock, K. Cronin, C. O’Connor; D. O’Sullivan, R. Curran, S. O’Neill; K. Hartnett, M. O’Connell; T. McCarthy, G. Callinan, R. Conway; K. Murphy (Sarsfields), K. Murphy (Erins Own), J. Deane

no great at all, we can take em

Loughers
All Star

Offaly hurlers

Post by Loughers »

Howdy boys. I've been away for a while, but I'm very much looking forward to the league. Having been to all of Offaly's Walsh Cup games, I echo the sentiments above. Training is going very well, they look fit and hungry. However, it is only February. I think we'll give Cork a right rattle and hopefully reach the quarters. I also think that we'll beat Laois and Wexford and reach the Leinster final. The one fly in this ointment is the whole Birr/Crinkle boundary issue. I have it on very good authority that the sh1t could hit the fan when the DRA make their decision and the people of Offaly will be the ones wiping their faces clean.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Loughers wrote:The one fly in this ointment is the whole Birr/Crinkle boundary issue. I have it on very good authority that the sh1t could hit the fan when the DRA make their decision and the people of Offaly will be the ones wiping their faces clean.
I'm not sure I'm understanding here - in the literal sense, I fail to see the relevance to people outside Birr and Crinkle irrespective of the ruling? Okay, we're all interested in seeing what happens, but as an Offaly GAA fan from Ferbane/Belmont as it were, I'm not sure I can see how it would affect our county as a whole - unless you're implying that there are fines in the offing for improper conduct or something?

BOG OAK
Junior B

Post by BOG OAK »

I think the relevance to Offaly patrons is the rumor that the Birr players would withdraw from the county panel if the judgement does not go their way.
I was of the belief that the officers in Birr gave a commintment to accept the judgement of the DRA.
The birr club officers have now dug a hole for themselves condsidering Crinkle gave them options before, but they wanted too much and could now pay the price at this stage.

Good luck to the hurlers on Sunday. :!:

Treasurer
All Star

Birr/Crinkle

Post by Treasurer »

Both sides have dug their heels in at different times. Whatever happens it's not going to be nice.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Seems a bit of a cod to withdraw from the county over something the DRA might decide. All the same, no harm if it gets avoided I suppose.