Intermediate Football Championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Oceans 15
County player

Re: Intermediate Football Championship

Post by Oceans 15 »

Lean Times wrote:I will have more interest than usual in the IFC this year as my own club, Cappincur, will be playing in the second tier of football for the first time in a long long time! First up is Doon. Realistically this year is about consolidation and gaining a foothold and not falling back into Junior. I would love to be able to say that last years success could be built on but a lot of players have been lost from that team unfortunately. A Q/F would be dream territory for this team this year.

From an outside perspective it is hard to look beyond St. Brigids, Shamrocks and Rhode to take ultimate honours. Brigids and Rhode square off against each other in a big game this weekend. Outside of this contingent, it is very much even and hard to choose any clear cut team to be out in front. Clonbullogue had a very good year last year and perhaps can replicate that. Apart from that, it is very difficult to forecast who will qualify and who will play off for relegation.

This weekends fixtures: (Sunday)

O Brien Park: Birr v Raheen C Costello 12noon
Ballinamere: Shannonbridge v Kilclonfert N Flynn 12noon
Ballinagar: Bracknagh v Durrow E Dunne 12noon
Tubber: Cappincur v Doon C Groome 12noon
Gracefield: Clonbullogue v Shamrocks D Walsh 12 noon
Edenderry: St Brigids v Rhode J O’Reilly 7pm

Who have ye lost from last year Lean Times ??

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

Oceans 15 wrote:
Lean Times wrote:I will have more interest than usual in the IFC this year as my own club, Cappincur, will be playing in the second tier of football for the first time in a long long time! First up is Doon. Realistically this year is about consolidation and gaining a foothold and not falling back into Junior. I would love to be able to say that last years success could be built on but a lot of players have been lost from that team unfortunately. A Q/F would be dream territory for this team this year.

From an outside perspective it is hard to look beyond St. Brigids, Shamrocks and Rhode to take ultimate honours. Brigids and Rhode square off against each other in a big game this weekend. Outside of this contingent, it is very much even and hard to choose any clear cut team to be out in front. Clonbullogue had a very good year last year and perhaps can replicate that. Apart from that, it is very difficult to forecast who will qualify and who will play off for relegation.

This weekends fixtures: (Sunday)

O Brien Park: Birr v Raheen C Costello 12noon
Ballinamere: Shannonbridge v Kilclonfert N Flynn 12noon
Ballinagar: Bracknagh v Durrow E Dunne 12noon
Tubber: Cappincur v Doon C Groome 12noon
Gracefield: Clonbullogue v Shamrocks D Walsh 12 noon
Edenderry: St Brigids v Rhode J O’Reilly 7pm

Who have ye lost from last year Lean Times ??
From the team that started the county final we have lost the goalkeeper, full back, corner back, centre forward, full forward and a couple of lads on the panel as well. But sure listen, I very much doubt we are the only club to suffer like this. I just hope the lads can drive on regardless and not dwell on those that are not around!

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

Doon 2-15 Cappincur 1-5

Disappointing day in the clubs first outing in Intermediate. A scoreline of 0-7 to 0-3 at half time was the result of an evenly contested first half where chances were missed by both sides, including a penalty by Doon. Cappincur came out the 2nd half and following 2 points from Doon they responded with 1-1 themselves to leave the scoreline at 0-9 to 1-4. Cappincur were on top at this stage (10 min into the 2nd half) but unfortunately that was as good as it got as Doon gained the upper hand and hammered home the win. Cappincur too naive and not clinical enough in the latter third which killed them. Well done to Doon.

ryot
All Star
Club: Doon

Post by ryot »

Lean Times

Thanks for that update. Makes me a happy Doon man ( even if in exile)

The_heen
Junior B

Post by The_heen »

Raheen 1-10 Birr 1-7

Birr were very poor they weren't as close as the score line makes it look. Only for some poor shooting form raheen they would off been well beat.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Thought Birr might cause a shock here, but fair play to raheen.
Bracknagh beat Durrow by 6 points, and I heard Shannonbridge dished out a 16 pt hammering to Kilclonfert. Early days, but could be a Cappincur/Kilclonfert relegation battle?

The_heen
Junior B

Post by The_heen »

Anyone know what the story with clonbullogue now well they be kicked out for not playing

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

We're out again in our second fixture vs Clonbullogue on Friday night in Walsh Island. Disgraceful how its been almost 10 weeks since Cappincur's last championship game. The fixtures committee really is a joke in this county. It is impossible for lads to book any sort of holidays or weekends away. The team will be short players due to holidays for this match so I am to believe. Like the Doon match I feel it will be very hard for us to take anything from this game but hopefully I am wrong. Both teams were well bet by a Doon side not favoured by many a the start of the year. Clobullogue should come out on top but I won't throw the towel in on our lads just yet!

In the other Inter. games this weekend I feel Brigids should have enough for Bracknagh. Is it true that young Cunningham suffered a serious injury? Doon should also be able to overcome Birr, while Durrow too will have enough for Kilclonfert. Rhode and Shannonbridge is very hard to call but I feel myself Shannonbridge will have the edge as I hear they are putting in a real effort this year.

theman
All Star

Post by theman »

Not to stick up for the county board but they released a master fixture list in February for the championship and in fairness it's been pretty spot on soo far.

As a clonbullogue man, let me tell you lean times you have nothin to worry about on Friday. We are a shambles at the moment. I don't get to many games as I'd like to but they lack any sort of creativity. The panel is severely weakened due in one part to injuries but also to the Management. Seemingly there are players that won't tog for the intermediates due to problems with management. Supposedly only had 9 down training last week. If cappincur are tuned in at al they should win. I say it could be tight but cappincur should pull away as clonbullogues fitness is appalling.

Yes, as far as I know Peter broke his ankle. Severe loss to bracknagh. People can say no one man makes a team but he really was making bracknagh click this year. A club like rhode would be devastated by losing a player of his quality never mind a small club like bracknagh. I had them to be there or there abouts in september but after peters loss I don't think they will.

Doon will beat birr easy enough. Durrow and kilclonfert could be close but durrow should win. Croghan and bracknagh could be game of weekend, I'll go for a draw. Shannonbrodge should beat rhode by at least 3.

My semi finalists for the intermediate: Croghan, Ballyfore, shannonbridge and bracknagh. Relegation: clonbullogue/kilclonfert
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

theman
All Star

Post by theman »

Clonbullogue 0-11 - 0-11 Cappincur

How Cappincur didnt win this game I will never ever know. They totally dominated Clonbullogue from start to finish. Carroll and Daly lorded the middle sector, Ger Tracey was always showing and taking on defenders, creating opportunity after opportunity. There full forward did well on Clonbullogue Captain Anthony Crampton (Former Irish Super Heavy Weight Boxing Champion). I didnt tally the wides but I estimate the Cappincur wides outscored Clonbullogues by at least 3:1. Cappincur were 2 points up with 5 mins to go but Clonbullogue managed to score just less than a minute short of the whistle to draw. If the referee was consistant he would of seen the Clonbullogue Full Back pass the ball rugby style to the midfielder who kicked the equaliser.

Cappincur missed a goal opportunity that anybody's granny would have finished. Maybe thats harsh but a cross field ball was played into the square, midfielder ran onto it, keeper came out and was in no mans land. All the midfielder had to do was tap it in but somehow it fell out of his hand and creeped by the post. Cappincur are a very good team and played well as a team. In my opinion if they had all there panel they would be in the quaters without a doubt and would match most Intermediate teams. I think if they meet Croghan or Shannonbridge that they will fall short. Can see them staying up this year though.

Clonbullogue IMO are basically fighting a battle to stay up this year. They dont play as a team, kick away ridiculous amount of balls and in general there play is just appalling. They rarely had any attacking opportunitys as they didnt do what we were all thought starting out in football - Let the ball into the forwards. The full forward line was starved of ball.

Overall a enjoyable game but I think Cappincur came out with there heads up after this while Clonbullogue will have to go back to the drawing board (again)
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

theman wrote:Clonbullogue 0-11 - 0-11 Cappincur

How Cappincur didnt win this game I will never ever know. They totally dominated Clonbullogue from start to finish. Carroll and Daly lorded the middle sector, Ger Tracey was always showing and taking on defenders, creating opportunity after opportunity. There full forward did well on Clonbullogue Captain Anthony Crampton (Former Irish Super Heavy Weight Boxing Champion). I didnt tally the wides but I estimate the Cappincur wides outscored Clonbullogues by at least 3:1. Cappincur were 2 points up with 5 mins to go but Clonbullogue managed to score just less than a minute short of the whistle to draw. If the referee was consistant he would of seen the Clonbullogue Full Back pass the ball rugby style to the midfielder who kicked the equaliser.

Cappincur missed a goal opportunity that anybody's granny would have finished. Maybe thats harsh but a cross field ball was played into the square, midfielder ran onto it, keeper came out and was in no mans land. All the midfielder had to do was tap it in but somehow it fell out of his hand and creeped by the post. Cappincur are a very good team and played well as a team. In my opinion if they had all there panel they would be in the quaters without a doubt and would match most Intermediate teams. I think if they meet Croghan or Shannonbridge that they will fall short. Can see them staying up this year though.

Clonbullogue IMO are basically fighting a battle to stay up this year. They dont play as a team, kick away ridiculous amount of balls and in general there play is just appalling. They rarely had any attacking opportunitys as they didnt do what we were all thought starting out in football - Let the ball into the forwards. The full forward line was starved of ball.

Overall a enjoyable game but I think Cappincur came out with there heads up after this while Clonbullogue will have to go back to the drawing board (again)

By Cappincur stats, Clonbullogue won the midfield battle 70/30 so I don't think Cappincur lorded the middle sector by any means. It was a game that either side could have won and both will be dissapointed they didnt win. A draw is not much good to either. I feel that neither team was able to show enough composure to win this game. A lot of play was very panicked and an awful lot of mistakes. Carroll missed two clear goal chances that could have swung it in our favour. At least it wasnt a loss and we can look forward to next game.

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

Doon 3.15 Birr 0.2

St. Brigids 4.14 Bracknagh 0.8

Durrow 2.15 Kilclonfert 0.7

Extra time
Junior B

Post by Extra time »

Doon 3-15 Birr 0-2 ???is this rite?

Tar Man
Junior A

Post by Tar Man »

Extra time wrote:Doon 3-15 Birr 0-2 ???is this rite?
That's correct. Doon going well.

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

Another round this weekend. Birr are up next for Cappincur on Friday in Killurin and the outcome of this tie will go along way in deciding who is staring at relegation final and who is safe with the outside chance of making the knockout stages. Last day out we drew a game we really should have won while Birr were comprehensively beaten by table toppers Doon (who also handed us out quite a beating.) Can see this been a scrappy affair and going into the last 10 minutes with either team capable of winning. Very hard to call.

A few very interesting games this weekend. Doon v Ballyfore sees two unbeaten teams goes head to head. Shamrocks vs Raheen also sees two team where the winner will be guarenteed knockout stages while loser will be up against it to qualify. Im going for Doon and Shamrocks.

In the other group, St. Brigids face Durrow, Shannonbridge play Bracknagh and Kilclonfert play Rhode. Im going for Brigids, S'Bridge and Rhode.