Club football championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
heman
Junior A

Re: Club football championship

Post by heman »

offalyman08 wrote:
True Red wrote:Draw between Edenderry and tullamore. 1-13 apiece
The hotel busting brothers from Rhode done fair celebrating when Tullamore got their second goal...

oh lord.

Unrealbanter
Junior B
Club: Tullamore

Post by Unrealbanter »

Lads i couldnt believe how bad ferbane were??? Like rhode were missin mac and padraig sullivan who would be definite starters for rhode? None of ferbanes county minors started either?? As soon as they came in at half time you could see that they were the only ones that actually tried to play a bit of football! I really thought ferbane were goin to be there or there abouts this year :o

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Rhode also missing Paschal Kellaghan!!!!!!!, Eoghan Byrne played full match at corner forward, scored 1-03.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Just looking at some photos online of the Championship games last weekend and I am seriously worried about the future of games in this county. Nothing to do with the conditioning of the players or the amount of spectators at the games, no. This is a much more serious issue with far reaching consequences. The issue I speak of is lads wearing Tennis socks out to play Senior Championship games. Yes, that's right - white sports socks, like your father used to wear with a pair of sandals.
From the pictures I've seen, Edenderry were the big culprits, with at least 5 or 6 of their team sporting the finest from Umbro, Puma and some vintage Wilson's. I thought that maybe they were just wearing them for the warmup at first, but no, from corner back to corner forward, they represented with pride. What do I have against white tennis socks? Well, firstly I think players should wear their club colours. Secondly, I think each team member should wear the same gear as the person they are playing with. Thirdly, this is obviously nothing other than a fashion statement, as the gear is exactly what you see the soccer teams wearing during their training sessions. (check the link below). Finally, my main gripe with this fashion trend, is this - The F%*king state of it - plain and simple.

Let's get a grip here lads and ban white Wilson's from the 2012 Championship. I think the best way to do this is to name and shame. If you are at a game this year and see a player sporting their White Wilson's - take a pic, stick it up here and let's all have a laugh!!!

Frankie Lampard - http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/OfNcGyyu ... nk+Lampard
Not Frankie Lampard - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

heman
Junior A

Post by heman »

yes i noticed gud few off the edenderry players wearing white,horrible to see.also see a lot of players wearing offaly shorts instead of their club shorts

Goodsupporter11
Junior A
Club: Offaly

Post by Goodsupporter11 »

Where did you see these pic's online?

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Its a disgrace when players do not wear their correct club colours, i hate to see a player with red shorts when his team colours are white or green, the same with socks, they should be penalised by their clubs or not let play regardless who they are

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Post by High School Musical »

The tennis sock only works when worn in conjunction with a tennis sweater draped over ones shoulders.

There are no exceptions to this rule......(Nadal, Djokovic, et al, take note)

I myself have perfected this 'Sweaterdouche' look when out & about on the town.
However, I never bring it on to the field with me.
Theres a time & a place.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

llkj wrote:Just looking at some photos online of the Championship games last weekend and I am seriously worried about the future of games in this county. Nothing to do with the conditioning of the players or the amount of spectators at the games, no. This is a much more serious issue with far reaching consequences. The issue I speak of is lads wearing Tennis socks out to play Senior Championship games. Yes, that's right - white sports socks, like your father used to wear with a pair of sandals.
From the pictures I've seen, Edenderry were the big culprits, with at least 5 or 6 of their team sporting the finest from Umbro, Puma and some vintage Wilson's. I thought that maybe they were just wearing them for the warmup at first, but no, from corner back to corner forward, they represented with pride. What do I have against white tennis socks? Well, firstly I think players should wear their club colours. Secondly, I think each team member should wear the same gear as the person they are playing with. Thirdly, this is obviously nothing other than a fashion statement, as the gear is exactly what you see the soccer teams wearing during their training sessions. (check the link below). Finally, my main gripe with this fashion trend, is this - The F%*king state of it - plain and simple.

Let's get a grip here lads and ban white Wilson's from the 2012 Championship. I think the best way to do this is to name and shame. If you are at a game this year and see a player sporting their White Wilson's - take a pic, stick it up here and let's all have a laugh!!!

Frankie Lampard - http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/OfNcGyyu ... nk+Lampard
Not Frankie Lampard - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Can't argue with this post llkj. Dalton was wearing a pair of girlie ankle socks (my sister wore similar when she was 11) on Sunday and this guy is a former Offaly captain. Enough said lads enough said!
If I was over a team I wouldn't allow them onto the pitch unless they were wearing mens sports gear in the colour of the club they claim to represent.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Maybe the proper set of socks get put in a boil and turned pink.
I remember the Rahan youngsters playing pink jersies once for the same reasons.

aze111
Junior B
Club: walshisland

Post by aze111 »

All started with Paul Galvin. I think he was the first to wear them. Now lads are trying to be shapers, just like him.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

aze111 wrote:All started with Paul Galvin. I think he was the first to wear them. Now lads are trying to be shapers, just like him.
what ever about been a shaper like him there is none of them can kick football like him. :roll:

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

This is a real concern! If lads dont feel lining out with the club colours is important then they are going to let the club and team mates down in the heat of battle. And I dont want to hear any excuses, how you kit yourself and your regard for the club colours says a lot about your atitude.
In Tyrone they hand out the jersies, one by one folded, all put them on together, and at the end of the game they return them folded to the kitman, a sign of utmost respect for the priveilage of getting the jersey in the first place.

Having said that, was looking at the pictures in the tribune and saw no issue with the socks, few Ferbane lads were wearing Offaly shorts. Its just an example of the lack lustre approach by clubs, and players.

kingscounty
All Star

Post by kingscounty »

id be more concerned about the standard of club football in offaly rather than worrying about what colour socks a player wears for fuck sake . what about football boots they come in all colors will we make the players all wear the one colour boots and take the sponsor off the jersey to just to make sure the club colour is not overpowered. it could be a comfort thing ,it could be a luck thing or who knows why players wear these socks but as long as they wear the jersey and do their best for the club thats all that matters.

GOOFY
County player

Post by GOOFY »

kingscounty wrote:id be more concerned about the standard of club football in offaly rather than worrying about what colour socks a player wears for fuck sake
Aye i take ur point kingscounty, but when Offaly resolved to take on the Dubs in the late seventies one of the first steps that was taken was to have proper matching gear as the Dubs always had, it didnt make u a better player but it encouraged a different mindset, a mindset that said were a team, we dress the same, we are the same. A small difference admittedly but from an acorn becomes an oak.
First ball is when you make your mark