74 is the magic number!

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lean Times
County player

74 is the magic number!

Post by Lean Times »

St Gabriel's Kerril Burke (74) may well be the oldest player to score in a game.

Burke, who is the London club's chairman togged out for the second half of their division 2 league match against Thomas McCurtain's as they only had 14 players and needed to start the second half with the full compliment.

Not only did the 74-year-old play the entire second half, but he scored a goal to help his side to a 2-10 to 2-7 win.

"I just happened to be in the right place at the right time," he explained to the Irish Post. "Will I play again? I'd never say never. I've warned the senior players to watch their backs. Nobody's place is safe," he added jokingly.

Anybody know is this the record? I remember hearing a few years back of a man from Ballinagar who scored a point in his 70's but can't quite remember!

Lean Times
County player

Re: 74 is the magic number!

Post by Lean Times »

Old Hurlers, and New Sticks

Back in 2006 eyebrows were raised with a story by Dermot Crowe on Tim Byrnes aged 64 who was still hurling at Junior C level in Galway with Padraig Pearses. It was a colourful piece in which Tim recounted playing against the sons of men he had mighty battles against in the sixties and seventies. When he togged out in the Pearses changing room, the teenagers alongside him saw nothing strange.

This past weekend a similar story emerged from London club St Gabriels. 73 year old corner forward Kerril Burke, came off the bench to score a critical goal in a 2-10 – 2-7 victory against Thomas McCurtains.

His team only had fourteen players at half time and according to rule would have forfeited the game had they not commenced the second period with the full complement. Cometh the hour, cometh the man.

To add drama to the occasion Kerril managed to strike the goal that proved the difference in the three point victory.

The St Gabriel’s hero told the Irish Examiner: "I just happened to be in the right place at the right time and put the ball in the net.
“It’s so long ago,” he added when asked when he had last wielded the caman in a match. And, having got a taste of glory, it may not be the last time he features: "Will I play again? Quite possibly. I’d never say never,” he added. “I have warned some of the senior players to watch their backs. Nobody’s place is safe!"

But spare a thought for the young buck from MacCurtains that had to go home and tell the folks that a 73 year old man scored a goal off him and they lost the game!

bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: 74 is the magic number!

Post by bracknaghboy »

I can't think of too many examples of anything near that in Offaly. I know Tommy Green was still hurling with Daingean in the late 90's and he must have been pushing 60!