The Parkinson show goes on...

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

The Parkinson show goes on...

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

I see where that moron, Colm Parkinson has been told by Portlaoise that he cant play with their Intermediates. He cant play with the seniors as he chose RTE radio to vent his displeasure at the Senior mgts handling of the team! Twas on Irish Times that he was tweeting bout a letter he received informing him that he was not welcome to play with the team after he criticisied Mick Lillis and his management team on (I think) RTE Sunday sports.

I remember hearing the piece and thinking what a jerk. He is some mouth piece and apparently an authority on all matters GAA! Still , I suppose he is keeping his profile out there. Was a good footballer but would be a nightmare to manage &, I would think, would be a fella who would be lined up for a slap by many's a player.
Anyone any idea what he does, apart from tweeting?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: The Parkinson show goes on...

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I remember he was on Newstalk in the aftermath of Portlaoise's match in the club championship which went to extra time. Seems the management had the audacity to a) take him off; b) put him back on for extra time; and c) take him off again when he wasn't in the mood for football anyway.

Tommy Carr is another who seems to have something to say on radio every time I turn it on. He was on Radio1 Sunday afternoon from Croke Park. but Tommy was bored - there weren't enough people there, and he told the nation how the football was as boring as the boring sandwiches he was served in the press lounge. Poor Tommy.

And while i'm at it. Val Andrews. His termination from Cavan will free up Val to preach on Newstalk. And RTE. He started last Saturday as he means to go on. And on. And on. And . . .

Still, Parkinson does come out with regular hilarious stuff. Nothing of substance. But comical all the same. Often involving the GAA's amateur ethos. And remember. Laois might never have won that Leinster title in 2003 only Parkinson got injured and Mick O'Dwyer turned to Ross Munnelly.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Didn't he call auld Micko "an absolute bluffer" :lol: ........he was probably right about that!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

another story with Micko was Parkinson was telling him about his minor all ireland win with laois in 1996.
and Micko said will you go way lad they put all ireland minor medals under legs of tables to keep them even in Kerry. :lol:

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Ah I don't know, I don't mind the lad. Good to hear someone a little bit different. .

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I actually find Parkinson quite interesting to listen to, he doesn't hide behind the usual waffle and says what he thinks. That said, I'm not sure I'd love if he was a member of Ferbane club as I'd say he brings a lot of trouble with him.

Tommy Carr, on the other hand, is a clown and rarely says anything that isn't self serving. Hopefully his current disastrous stint at the helm of the Westmeath minor footballers will finally see him cast off into oblivion.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

You would laugh at what he says, but at the same time to come out on Newstalk (my mistake on RTE) and talk about his club management like he did, and not expect some reprecussions shows the mentality of the lad.
Most of what he says is self serving stuff anyway, and he certainly served himself as did a few other laois lads with their moves to Dublin clubs!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

You don't need to be clinical psychologist to spot that Parkinson is a bit touched upstairs.
However he has some of the attributes that make a successful pundit. Attention seeking for starters. Just like Dunphy, Hook, Spillane etc.

Also clearly he possesses very little self-awareness. A number of sports people are like this. The ones who genuinely can't understand why they were dropped, or flip when they get taken off, no matter how appallingly bad their performance is.
So he isn't afraid to say why X team should win handsomely over team Y. An overly self-conscious pundit twists himself in knots trying to hedge and back both teams and end up saying nothing of substance.

The entertaining ones are prepared to lay their cards on the table and make a call.

Muck Savage
All Star

Post by Muck Savage »

Lone Shark wrote: Tommy Carr, on the other hand, is a clown and rarely says anything that isn't self serving. Hopefully his current disastrous stint at the helm of the Westmeath minor footballers will finally see him cast off into oblivion.
Sounds like a good man for the next Offaly Senior footballer manager in our county boards mind. It'll be available in June and filled in about the December timeframe!