Offaly minor hurlers

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
joe bloggs
All Star

Re: Offaly minor hurlers

Post by joe bloggs »

Unrealbanter wrote:Offaly tried hard today !! They seem to have a very young team? Theres a few lads that i was suprised werent even
On the panel, can any1 put any light on it as to why they arent? Birrs peter dooley,cathal hogan and paddy mullins??? Belmonts darragh corbett brian grehan and ciaran cahill? I seen these lads play down through the years and they werent too bad at all, Surely deserve to be on the panel at least?
It is one thing to say a lad should be on a panel, but did they or were they in a position to give a commitment.
In the case of Dooley, rugby is his chosen sport, having been capped at international level.
I would also add that in general, just because a lad stood out at a younger level, it does not mean that they will be good enough at minor level and vice versa. You have to trust the judgement of management on this issue, as they will have been looking at these lads for months now and it is they who would be in the best position to judge who should be in or out.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

kingscounty wrote:hard luck to the minors, does anyone know who we play in the next round
They play in two weeks time. I think the programme said they would be meeting the winners of meath and Kildare. Wexford will play Dublin on the same day for a place in the semi final. The losers of that game would then play offaly if they come through to get into the semi final also.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

hard luck to lads today they done their best, pity Cillian Kiely wasn't fit to play the 60 minutes as with the wind in the first half
we could have been a bit more ahead at half time, the goal for wexford near half time was a killer as Connor Clancy mistake missing
the ball as he went to pull on it.

i think the management will have to hold up their hands for this defeat to, as god only knows why they left the wexford fullback Sean Murphy
on his own for the whole second half and played just two inside forwards, Dylan Murray was the best forward on display today when he got a nice low ball
into him the second half they just gave hight ball into him with two wexford men on him the whole time.

if they had to play their full forward line as in the first half they could have won it, but good displays from Backs Rian Kelly, Conor Doughan at centreback was
outstanding along with Damien Murphy, and Emmet Nolan, Alan spain and Dylan Murray were best up front with Cillian Kiely doing well when he came on for the last
20 minutes at centre forward.

theres alot of work to do but i think with a bit of luck we might see a few more games from this minor team, a fullfit Cillian Kiely will improve the side to.
i think we play other Carlow or Meath.

timber
All Star

Post by timber »

Some strange decisions taken by management alright. Andrew Connolly another starter last year was only on the bench. is he struggling with injury?

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

timber wrote:Some strange decisions taken by management alright. Andrew Connolly another starter last year was only on the bench. is he struggling with injury?
he came on and done well .

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

we are playing Meath in tullamore should get through here.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: Offaly Minor hurlers 2012

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The Leinster Council have altered the draw for the third round of the Leinster Minor hurling championship.

Initially the winners of Offaly/Meath were to play the losers of Wexford/Dublin, and the winners of Westmeath/Carlow were to play the losers of Laois/Kilkenny. That would have held the potential for two repeat matches (Offaly v Wexford and/or Laois v Westmeath).

Now, the winners of Offaly/Meath will play the losers of Laois/Kilkenny (wonder who that’ll be!) and the winners of Westmeath/Carlow will play the losers of Wexford/Dublin. Both these ties will be quarter-finals, with the winners going through to the semi-finals where the winners of Kilkenny/Laois and Dublin/Wexford await.

See the Leinster GAA site for details.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

joe bloggs
All Star

Re: Offaly Minor hurlers 2012

Post by joe bloggs »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:The Leinster Council have altered the draw for the third round of the Leinster Minor hurling championship.

Initially the winners of Offaly/Meath were to play the losers of Wexford/Dublin, and the winners of Westmeath/Carlow were to play the losers of Laois/Kilkenny. That would have held the potential for two repeat matches (Offaly v Wexford and/or Laois v Westmeath).

Now, the winners of Offaly/Meath will play the losers of Laois/Kilkenny (wonder who that’ll be!) and the winners of Westmeath/Carlow will play the losers of Wexford/Dublin. Both these ties will be quarter-finals, with the winners going through to the semi-finals where the winners of Kilkenny/Laois and Dublin/Wexford await.

See the Leinster GAA site for details.
`
While this is probably going to benefit Offaly, it is a bit rich moving the goal posts when the game is already on. On paper playing laois would be more preferable than Dublin or Wexford.
If I were involved in Westmeath or Carlow I would not be very happy with this

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

we should have beaten wexford last weekend, Laois haven't a bad minor team this year got a good result again westmeath in mullingar
plus they beat offaly by 10 points a few weeks ago.

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

only problem is, Westmeath should have beaten Laois.
The Leinster Minor is wide open this year
only the best...

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

manfromdelmonte wrote:only problem is, Westmeath should have beaten Laois.
The Leinster Minor is wide open this year
lets not forget kilkenny

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

its down for 2o'clock on saturday bit unfair that we fix the under 21 hurling final for the sunday could they not put it back a week :oops:

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I'm sure you'll find lots to do in order to kill five hours in Tullamore on Saturday, because the match is at 7pm.

And the U21 Final is on Sunday because that's where it's scheduled on the master fixtures list. Remember that? Anyway, there are Senior and Intermediate championship fixtures the following weekend.

Lean Times
County player

Post by Lean Times »

Impressive win for Carlow minors away to Westmeath today. This really does seem to be an open championship this year! Wexford and Dublin currently neck and neck also!

Would not be surprised of Laois turned over KK at this rate!

It sort of reminds me of what I heard during the week regarding soccer. Chelsea beat Barcelona, Newcastle beat Chelsea, Wigan hammered Newcastle, therefore Wigan are the best team in the world!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Hearing Wexford drew with Dublin in Donnycarney and went on to beat them in extra-time. Good job the Leinster Council changed that draw.

As you can see, it's people like me John Leahy has in mind when he's warning about complacency. Offaly need to get to the ball FIRST this evening and make that possession COUNT.