Offaly minor hurlers

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Kevin
All Star

Re: Offaly minor hurlers

Post by Kevin »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
joe bloggs wrote:
Bord na Mona man wrote:Offaly 2-13 Meath 1-14.
A closer shave than a Gillette Fusion Pro-Glide by all accounts!
From the look of it bnm man it is a while since a gillete got near you
I won't shave till Offaly win an All Ireland!
That being the case, do you advocate the concept of personally recruiting and outfitting your own hurling team along the lines of the man in your new avatar?

Shall we call them the Bord na Mona Legion???!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Speaking to a Camross man today, he was under the impression it's in Portlaoise at 7pm on Saturday evening.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Re: Offaly hurling . . . Killing me softly

Post by bracknaghboy »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:The truth is that Meath should have won this, for they did all the hurling. They were better than Offaly in the air, on the ground, when they had the ball and when they didn’t have the ball.
I wasn't at the game but as a supporter of all Offaly teams I can say this is the most depressing statement I've read or heard in a long time. I think we are very lucky to have senior players like Morkin, Rigney, Bergin, Dooley etc around right now (and even these boys are not good enough to deliver silverware) but when they retire we really are staring at the Christy Ring Cup. The way things are I think BNM man will be taking that beard with him to his eternal resting place!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

bracknaghboy wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote:The truth is that Meath should have won this, for they did all the hurling. They were better than Offaly in the air, on the ground, when they had the ball and when they didn’t have the ball.
I wasn't at the game but as a supporter of all Offaly teams I can say this is the most depressing statement I've read or heard in a long time. I think we are very lucky to have senior players like Morkin, Rigney, Bergin, Dooley etc around right now (and even these boys are not good enough to deliver silverware) but when they retire we really are staring at the Christy Ring Cup. The way things are I think BNM man will be taking that beard with him to his eternal resting place!
the few lads you named also had bad days underage Christy Ring cup offaly hurling will never go down that low

manfromdelmonte
All Star

Post by manfromdelmonte »

Meath won the Minor B last year.
why is it any surprise they pushed Offaly?
only the best...

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

townman wrote: Christy Ring cup offaly hurling will never go down that low
10 or 15 years ago, few would have predicted that Offaly would end up being regularly turned over by counties like Carlow and Westmeath at minor.
If we ended up in the Christy Ring it would be for the exact same reasons.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Confidence is sky-high in Laois. See the Laois Nationalist
Laois now take on Offaly in O’Connor Park on Saturday next knowing that a repeat of this performance will earn them a fourth championship game and that would be major progress.
http://www.laois-nationalist.ie/tabId/1 ... ation.aspx
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

TheGreatGame
Junior A

Post by TheGreatGame »

I wouldn't say confidence is sky-high in Laois POTH. The truth of the matter is that there seems to be very little between any of the teams left if results to date are any indication. PaddyPower have Offaly as favourites, and I'd venture that bookmakers get these calls right more often than journalists do! Hopefully we get a good game on Saturday and may the best team win.

Dublinmeath hurling
Junior C
Club: Faughs

Post by Dublinmeath hurling »

The problem in Offaly is your living on tradition soon Westmeath and Meath will be better than ye if ya don't cop on about 30 minor hurlers have already left Meath for Dublin ERIC LOUDES is starting centre back for the Dublin minor hurlers and corner back in Gaelic

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Dublinmeath hurling wrote:The problem in Offaly is your living on tradition soon Westmeath and Meath will be better than ye if ya don't cop on about 30 minor hurlers have already left Meath for Dublin ERIC LOUDES is starting centre back for the Dublin minor hurlers and corner back in Gaelic
when did Dublin last win an all ireland underage, their is work been done in offaly why should anyone cop on. Dublin also are in the last chance saloon this weekend

Bord na Mona man
All Star

townman wrote:
Dublinmeath hurling wrote:The problem in Offaly is your living on tradition soon Westmeath and Meath will be better than ye if ya don't cop on about 30 minor hurlers have already left Meath for Dublin ERIC LOUDES is starting centre back for the Dublin minor hurlers and corner back in Gaelic
when did Dublin last win an all ireland underage
Aye, a bunch of failures they are up in Dublin. No underage All Irelands! Puck useless. We've nothing to worry about, nothing we could learn from them. They're going nowhere...

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Your reply is typical of the atitude in Offaly when someone questions what we are at with underage.
I know there is work going on but is their enough? My young lad likes hurling but is in a football club, and his school has no hurling, so he goes to a hurling club where he has one hour a week. The big issue though is parents, very few encourage the kids out to play football and hurling.
Kids are basically unfit, I can see now a situation where we are going to have to do fitness training as part of training u10s and 12s in the not too distannt, as opposed to skills and games.
Kids have poor coordination and these are all things that need to be brought in to the curriculem in National school.
Hopefully more counties do get up to a higher level and the best of luck to them, and if we can learn anything from them then we should!

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Sorry, Townman's reply was typical, presume BNMs was tongue in cheek!

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Sorry, Townman's reply was typical, presume BNMs was tongue in cheek!
I thought about a posting up a measured response.
Where I'd point out that winning All Irelands isn't the sole criteria for measuring successful underage work. That Dublin's work couldn't be branded as failure, or mocked by laggard counties until such time as the final whistle blows on their first underage All Ireland. And then what? - A decade's hard work that was wrong, suddenly becomes right?

I was going to point out that such simplistic binary thinking completely misses the point.
Then I thought better of it...and went for the 'pie smash' option instead. :wink:

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

but sure if they beat laois and maybe reach a leinster final ye will be all talk about them, i didn't see to many out supporting them in the last two games
the support last saturday evening was a joke for a home game, yet lads think its aright here for some other county lad to take the piss out of us.