Offaly v Limerick NHL 24/03/2012

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Offaly v Limerick NHL 24/03/2012

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Really looking forward to this Saturday night, it will be a useful barometer of where we currently stand. A pity though its on after the football.

It's hard to know where Limerick are at the moment with mixed signals coming from their camp. Their opening round loss against Clare may well be viewed in a more sympathetic light as the summer rolls through as Clare, for me, represent the value bet for Championship 2012.

Still though, winning their last two league games comfortably enough allied to one very mediocre senior campaign and one decent U-21 campaign in 2011 has Limerick supporters believing that a facile win against Offaly is an inevitable step on the road to a long Summer. Only in Limerick.
We'll 'grudgingly' accept the underdogs tag.

Toxicity234
All Star

Re: Offaly v Limerick NHL 24/03/2012

Post by Toxicity234 »

Its going to be tough down in limerick.
they'll be a good Limerick crowd with the football (Limerick vs Waterford) on before hand.

Limerick missing Declan Hannon and with fitness worry about Kevin Downes and Shane Dowling but i would be surprise if they don't start. (at least that what i'm hearing).

i think this weekend game has come a week to early for the Coolderry players.

Its a big game for both Offaly and Limerick. I hoping for a good one and a good results for the faithful county.
“Common sense is not so common.”

Deadandgone
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Deadandgone »

Any word on team.Big game for offaly. A test for the players. Need to do something with mid field. I thought mahon was goin well needs a settled partner. Its a wonder shane kelly or david franks have not been tried. They both play mid field for clubs

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Limerick have their 15 named with both Downes and Hannon not listed. Whether they'll play on Saturday remains to be seen.

Limerick concern over their team would appear to be focused on their full back line with little consensus or confidence in any of the full back candidates. Despite his form in recent weeks from the half forward line, it may be worth placing Joe in the Full forward line along Shane - for the first half at least. If damage can be done here, done early to both the scoreboard and Limerick's confidence - we could be well on the way.

It is, unfortunately, probably a week too early for the Coolderry lads. With sense, Baker will have left the decision up to them. Some may feel up to the task, others not so much. Does anyone know which of them he has called on to the panel?

gunnerman
Junior A

Post by gunnerman »

Team for Saturday night. One personel change. Sean Ryan in for Dermot Mooney

1 James Dempsey Kinnitty
2 Chris Mc Donald Brosna Gaels
3 David Kenny (c) Belmont
4 David Franks Carrickshock
5 Derek Morkan Shinrone
6 Rory Hanniffy Birr
7 Stephen Wynne St Rynaghs
8 Diarmuid Horan St Rynaghs
9 Conor Mahon Kilcormac/Killoughey
10 James Mulrooney Seir Kieran
11 Joe Bergin Seir Kieran
12 Brendan Murphy Ballyskenagh
13 Shane Dooley Tullamore
14 Colin Egan Belmont
15 Sean Ryan Birr

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Interesting to see that nearly every senior team in Offaly is represented on the panel. Add molloy from Shamrocks and 1 of the Coolderry boys at least to the team above and that means 11 of the 12 senior clubs are represented. To the best of my knowledge, there is nobody from Drumcullen on the panel. Is that correct? I think we should get one in as it would make for a better story.

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

llkj wrote:Interesting to see that nearly every senior team in Offaly is represented on the panel. Add molloy from Shamrocks and 1 of the Coolderry boys at least to the team above and that means 11 of the 12 senior clubs are represented. To the best of my knowledge, there is nobody from Drumcullen on the panel. Is that correct? I think we should get one in as it would make for a better story.
But there is no lusmagh lad there either
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

Toxicity234
All Star

Post by Toxicity234 »

joe bloggs wrote:
llkj wrote:Interesting to see that nearly every senior team in Offaly is represented on the panel. Add molloy from Shamrocks and 1 of the Coolderry boys at least to the team above and that means 11 of the 12 senior clubs are represented. To the best of my knowledge, there is nobody from Drumcullen on the panel. Is that correct? I think we should get one in as it would make for a better story.
i think the Sub goalie is from Lusmagh Eoin Kelly.

are there any of the Coolderry player on the subs??
“Common sense is not so common.”

Deadandgone
Intermediate
Club: Tullamore

Post by Deadandgone »

Yes eoin kelly is from lusmagh. Do not think this will be team that will start sat nite

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

This is the real ‘pivot’ match. Win, and there’s a chance of making the Final. Lose, and a relegation play-off is a possibility.

It’s hard to know about Limerick. Beaten by Clare and the sky was falling in around the lower Shannon. Now, wins over Wexford and Laois, and they’re Munster title contenders. Wexford are in the same boat – jubilation after they beat Offaly, all their troubles were over, beaten by Limerick at home and then it dawned on them, the win over Offaly glossed over the several deficiencies.

Someone will win by about eight points. Just, I don’t know who.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

llkj
All Star

Post by llkj »

Toxicity234 wrote:
joe bloggs wrote:
i think the Sub goalie is from Lusmagh Eoin Kelly.

are there any of the Coolderry player on the subs??
Didn't Lusmagh get religated to intermediate last year though?

jacko
Junior C

Post by jacko »

joe bloggs wrote:
llkj wrote: But there is no lusmagh lad there either
Didn't Lusmagh get religated to intermediate last year though?
they did llkj, joe was just trying to be funny because the banagher boys think its humorous!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

big Game indeed and one we have to win to get out of this division and up with the big gun's.

The team looks strong is James Rigney hurt or whats the story, Diarmuid Horan can hurl anywhere but i would rather him wing back
with a few more to come in maybe he will move back for the championship.

Limerick have came back well after their big defeat in round 1 and are most days a hard nut to crack in their Gaelic Grounds home
they have picked it up over the last two years after their strike Justin McCarthy era and have some nice young hurler's.

its time for this offaly team to take a big sclap, and away win as well which hasn't happen for a while for offaly.
with Limerick missing 3 of their best hurlers in Seamus Hickey, Kevin Downes, Declan Hannon its a chance for an offaly win.

with Joe Bergin in great form along with Shane Dooley on scoring form to, we will need a scoring return from Sean Ryan and Colin Egan tonite
to gain a win James Mulrooney has been chipping in with a few scores in most games lets hope he does tonight.

last word to Brendan Murphy in the five games i have seen him this year in league and walsh cup along with Bergin he has been our top forward
i think he has got something like 1-11 from 3 league games so far this year from play which is great scoring long may he do it.

as for tonights game it will be hard but if offaly can hurl for the 70 minutes plus and don't do their go out of the game for 20 minutes act
i think we can get a 5 point win 1 will do :wink:

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

I must say I'm very disappointed with aspects of this selection. Without trying to sound like a broken record, what is the issue with giving Stephen Wynne a run of games at corner back. I'll argue until the cows come home that both James Rigney and Diarmuid Horan are better wing backs than Wynne yet neither of them are picked to play there tonight.

In fact I'm disillusioned with the non-selection of James Rigney (again). No other back in Offaly club hurling stands out like Rigney during the championship every year yet he's being overlooked again tonight. I would hazard a guess that this selection isn't entirely based on hurling matters.

Also I would hope that Joe Bergin starts at the edge of the square tonight. He has excellent "previous" with Limerick, and in particular in the Gaelic Grounds, at full forward. Colin Egan was largely ineffective there last weekend at 14 and would probably be better served with a move to the half forward line.

Maybe it's the guys on anfearrrua, but I always associate an inherent arrogance with Limerick hurling depsite the fact that there is no basis for this whatsoever. When we gave them a good trimming down there in a qualifier a couple of years ago there was no recognition of how well we hurled, only a declaration that their weaknesses led to our victory. Sickening really.

However with the team selection tonight, I'd be sceptical of us getting a result. I'll say Limerick by 6.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

kinnittyman wrote:I must say I'm very disappointed with aspects of this selection. Without trying to sound like a broken record, what is the issue with giving Stephen Wynne a run of games at corner back. I'll argue until the cows come home that both James Rigney and Diarmuid Horan are better wing backs than Wynne yet neither of them are picked to play there tonight.

In fact I'm disillusioned with the non-selection of James Rigney (again). No other back in Offaly club hurling stands out like Rigney during the championship every year yet he's being overlooked again tonight. I would hazard a guess that this selection isn't entirely based on hurling matters.

Also I would hope that Joe Bergin starts at the edge of the square tonight. He has excellent "previous" with Limerick, and in particular in the Gaelic Grounds, at full forward. Colin Egan was largely ineffective there last weekend at 14 and would probably be better served with a move to the half forward line.

Maybe it's the guys on anfearrrua, but I always associate an inherent arrogance with Limerick hurling depsite the fact that there is no basis for this whatsoever. When we gave them a good trimming down there in a qualifier a couple of years ago there was no recognition of how well we hurled, only a declaration that their weaknesses led to our victory. Sickening really.

However with the team selection tonight, I'd be sceptical of us getting a result. I'll say Limerick by 6.
can't understand Rigney not in the side either he hurl great again Laois also wexford turn the game in the Walsh Shield final
i to would have him in the back line before Wynne or Chris McDonald don't know the story?

is Derek Molloy hurt to i rather him fullforward than Egan! Egan is good in the air to be fair to him but Molloy is a better score getter.