Antrim v Offaly NFL 03/03/2012

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Antrim v Offaly NFL 03/03/2012

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

1-08 to 6 at half time, doin quite well until what sounds like a moment of madness from Shane O'Sullivan. Send off for verbals!??
Nigel Dunne with 4 pts doin well, along with Ken Casey. Shame to see a sending off for stupidity when we looked as if we might get something out of what should be one of our more difficult games. Will take some second half in order to get back into this!

kinnittyman
All Star

Re: Antrim v Offaly

Post by kinnittyman »

Down 2-08 to 0-06 last I heard. Sullivan sent off for foul and abusive language towards an umpire. Absolute disgrace. To put your teammates in that position in a must win away fixture beacuse of loutish behaviour. Words fail me.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

2-08 to 1-07. Willie Mulhall goal.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

2-10 to 1-07

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

2-11 to 1-07

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

2-14 to 1-08, hard to know how things would go if O'sullivan hadnt walked. Anton also got a red late on, so very disappointin all around. Cant afford this kind of stuff as we try to avoind relegation.
Again we only get 3 scores in the second half, but keep at it lads!

heman
Junior A

Post by heman »

need niall mac back fairly lively now

DAF
All Star

Post by DAF »

heman wrote:need niall mac back fairly lively now

We need more than him.

Was it Shane or Anton Sullivan who got put off

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

DAF wrote:
heman wrote:need niall mac back fairly lively now

We need more than him.

Was it Shane or Anton Sullivan who got put off
Both.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Relegation looms closer with each match. And two sendings off sound as well.

Sadly in the last 5 or 6 years Offaly teams in both hurling and football have started to really clock up the red cards.
And neither side would be considering anything resembling a physically intimidating or deliberately cynical side. Individual players are just doing rash things and not judging officials very well.

johnb123
Junior C

Post by johnb123 »

i actually think the situation has become a bit of a joke at this stage. i think its absolutely ridiculous how the management team are still in place, there quite clearly are not doing the business. yes it is taxpayers who go out on the pitch but its up to the management to get them in the right frame of mind to play. the under 21s went out and won during the week and that should have spurred on the players.
gerry cooney doesn't seem to have a clue, like he came in and Im sure the aim was to get promoted, now we are going to be facing relegation and will be playing the kilkenny footballers next.
its about time the management took a look at themselves and realised that offaly football is the priority here, not them. they axed players off the team without giving them a chance. if you go back to last year in the back door match against monaghan you saw a great display of football from offaly, players like mcmanus, deehan, reynolds etc. now cooney doesn't have them there and he could well do with them. it took mcmanus to come out and say that what players needed to be brought into the panel. that just shows how cooney is really lacking. i personally don't think he has a clue.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Two yellows or a straight red?
Ahlethimoutwithit wrote: Anton also got a red late on,
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Truth as i see it
All Star

Post by Truth as i see it »

if you go back to last year in the back door match against monaghan you saw a great display of football from offaly, players like mcmanus, deehan, reynolds etc. now cooney doesn't have them there and he could well do with them. it took mcmanus to come out and say that what players needed to be brought into the panel. that just shows how cooney is really lacking. i personally don't think he has a clue.[/quote]

For the love of god, i thought everyone on this forum agreed not to talk about these fella's, Mcmanus aside these fellas are the reason we are down here in the first place, look its all well and good wishing for lads to come back and along with Niall Mcnamee and think sure everything will be grand with these boys back in the team and think sure these lads and the holy goast will elevate us back into the big time, i have news for you, its not going to happen. and while i'm at it we have to get away from this idea of relying on one man, Rhode tried that last year with Mcnamee and they got a rude awakening, look i'm usually an optimist when it comes to sport even with the county side the way it is but i think we will have to brace ourselves for the fact that we will be facing division 4 opposition next year. That may sound like a doomsday situation to most on here but i actually think it may be a blessing in disguise, its early yet and maybe we should reserve judgment until next week but the u-21s and minors have some good talent there with the right mentality and attitude to bring us back up the leagues, starting from such a low standard will ease the younger players in and give them confidence by getting a few wins under their belts to start off with
For my money Cooney was always going to be a failed experiment because of the way the whole fiasco played out, his selection was built on a foundation of sand from the beginning and the board are now reaping the uselessness of their outdated thinking
Its not Cooneys fault he had next to nothing to work with and considering how late he came to the game he was always going to struggle to get to grips with the scarce options available to him

For me and i know its very early yet to be making this assumption but i like what i see of Pascal Keelaghan, i've heard him on the radio and i like what i hear, i believe you can tell a lot by a manager and his character by the way he speaks and i have heard very good things about his attitude to training and matches, for me he as the ambition and desire to bring the county forward but again we should (or rather i should) hold off on making any judgement on that score until the under-21 season is over

For me the right players and the right manager has to be in place before we can start to progress, they' re not there yet but the right ingredients are there to make it happen over the next few years

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Anton got 2 yellows, think Shane got a straight red.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Is there any reason Anton would would not be permitted to play in the U21 game this week due to this sending off?
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.