The future of Offaly hurling.

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
TheGreatGame
Junior A

The future of Offaly hurling.

Post by TheGreatGame »

Good day ladies and gentlemen, I happen to stumble across this G.A.A site and am impressed by the quality of G.A.A talk on board.

Anyway, as a lover of the great game of hurling I was wondering where are Offaly heading? I know ye are not as bad as the score against Kilkenny would suggest, at the same time ye are definately slipping. Is there much chance of Claffey and/or Cassidy coming back? Both are big losses, two solid hurlers. Any fear of Laois with Dinny Cahill at the helm?

What will the minors and u21's be like this year? I saw yer minors last year and Joe Bergin and Diarmuid Horan are as good as any you will see. Ditto for Cathal Horan and Dylan Hayden at u21 level. Are more players of this calibre on the way?

Minor in particular this year in Leinster is going to be very competitive. By all accounts Dublin are the equals of last years team, Laois have a solid team as do Carlow, and Wexford are never bad. Then you have the Cats of course.

Any views?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

It would be hard to say definitively - we walked out of Croke Park last June thinkng that that was an all time low - but in truth, we would have said the same for a few of the Kilkenny games in recent years, so it's hard to know.

My honest opinion is that while Cassidy and Claffey are very good hurlers, Cassidy's attitude problems are legendary, while Claffey would also be one who would not be renowned for his love of training and sacrifice, albeit much more understandable in his case. I would suggest that with Teehan, Hanniffy, Brady and a few other potentials for the half back line, we mightn't feel the loss as much as all that - if we were to use one of our few good forwards that would be another matter. I suspect that our demise in recent years has been largely linked with our inability to get good hardy half forwards who can both hurl and handle the physical stuff that is a core part of the modern game in that part of the field. All too often we've defended well, only to see our forwards surrender hard won possession very easily. In this respect the future of the aforementioned Joe Bergin is crucial. He could be the number 11 we've all hoped for, but then that's a lot to ask of a tempestuous minor.

Laois will step things up a bit, but in a county with considerable parish rivalries, a divisive figure like Cahill mightn't be ideal. I remain to be convinced on that - if he can pass on his enthusiasm for the game, then he'll definitely have a positive impact - they've a lot of ground to make up though - I'd be much more concerned about a match against Dublin to be honest.

Minors this year should be reasonable. Horan is back again, as is Colm Coughlan of Kinnitty and Brian Nolan of Birr. St. Brendan's had a good win in the Leinster league, which is encouraging, while a few young players showed up well for the likes of Shinrone and Kilcormac in the championship this year. I would give them a great chance of a Leinster final slot, possibly even pulling off an upset there or in a knockout game against a Munster team.

The under 21's look to lack depth though. We don't really have any inspirational leaders on board, though the likes of Eamonn Lee might prove me wrong, and last year our management flexed muscles rather than think of the greater good. Dropping guys because they blow off training for no good reason - fair enough. Dropping guys because they were boozing during the week - certainly fair enough. But dropping guys because they wanted to take a break in the few weeks running up to the leaving, a leaving cert in which they were trying t obtain a place studying medicine? Sorry, but that's bollox. We'd need to cut that crap out to even have a chance.

That's my two cents anyway - so where are you from yourself? You have the air of a scouting outsider about you ..... :wink:

Kevin
All Star

LS

Post by Kevin »

Who got dropped because they were studying for leaving (and had medical aspirations)?

Something like that could signal a retirement for sure.

TheGreatGame
Junior A

Post by TheGreatGame »

Thanks LS.

Would playing R.Hannify at centre-back not be robbing Peter to pay Paul though? Might do for a year, but I'd be more inclined to have Joe Bergin at 6 and Rory at 11. Joe has the size and hurling, I agree he is tempermental but then, what minors aren't?

Yeah I figured the minors would be handy enough this year. I'v seen Banagher and Kilcormac V.S play already this year with Banagher having some fine hurlers.

Your hunch was right LS, I guess I could be described as a scouting outsider - though curious outsider might be the more apt term. I am a Laois man, but have vested interests in a few hurling counties including Kilkenny (parent), Clare (passion), Waterford (college) and Offaly (played so many V.S games against ye!)

BOG OAK
Junior B

Post by BOG OAK »

I believe that our hurling is no where as bad as last years results might suggest. If Offaly had to play any team in Leinster with the excemption of Kilkenny we would be confident we could win. The league this year will be a great test and leave them with far better prepartions that last year in Division two. I watched the minors last year and they were very unlucky not to progress unlike the three previous years. This was because Johnny Dooley brought back the skill elements of the game which suited our style of play, which has to be the way all our teams play.

Watch the hurlers I think it will be a good league and then we can see about the Championship. :!:

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Personally I would play Rory at 5 and Joe Brady at 6, but that's just me - I believe Joe has got a very raw deal in recent years, and could do with getting an extended run in his best position, and with Rory and Barry Teehan either side of him, that would be an okay attempt at packing a vital line with strong hurlers. I think that number 11 can be very effective by just mixing things up a bit - which Joe would do. Don't give him a whole load of defensive responsibility straight from the off, but give him an opportunity instead - which the 11 shirt would be.

I definitely do think the minors could be good this year, which seems like the consensus - although I didn't give enough credit to Johnny Dooley last year for the job he did - it was great to see.

Eamonn Lee was the student in question. Came off the bench and scored one fine point from out on the right in a low scoring game just to prove the point. Ask any Kilcormac player who they'd drop first - Lee or Sadler - and see what answer you'd get. Not that I've anything against Sadler, but there is a difference in class. Ciarán Kenny losing out while Tomás Bennett was picked is another example from a Belmont perspective. If that carry on continues, I don't expect much from our U-21's again.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

Kinda lost the run of you there LS. Who would you have playing no 11?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I think Bergin is the long term answer, but I'm not sure if he'll be ready for this summer or not - one way or another I wouldn't like to see him hurried along.

On re-reading the 2 Joes were a bit confusing there - but Brady at 6, Bergin at 11 - or if he's not ready, then either Gary Hanniffy or Ger Oakley would probably be the best short term measure.