Most unpopular club in Offaly

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Awoefullhoor
Junior C
Club: Offaly

Most unpopular club in Offaly

Post by Awoefullhoor »

Over a few drinks in aTullamore pub last Sunday, the subject came up of what club lads had least fondness for. Any suggestions here?
One north Offaly dual intermediate club seemed to be high on a good few lads list.

theman
All Star

Re: Most unpopular club in Offaly

Post by theman »

I assume you mean Clara as i dont think Edenderry are that unpopular if even....or maybe your on about another club?
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Would have to say I wouldn't be a huge fan of this topic.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

RexHamilton
Junior B

Post by RexHamilton »

Clara by a mile

/thread

durra1
All Star
Club: Durrow/Ballinamere

Post by durra1 »

Just to stir it a bit more ..
Attachments
two-red-tailed-hawks.jpg
two-red-tailed-hawks.jpg (50.88 KiB) Viewed 11808 times

offalyman18
Junior B
Club: offaly

Post by offalyman18 »

why is Clara so hated?

Ahlethimoutwithit
All Star

Post by Ahlethimoutwithit »

Ridiculous thread! Best confined to the pub lads!

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Ahlethimoutwithit wrote:Ridiculous thread! Best confined to the pub lads!
+1
The night is darkest before the dawn

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

I can't imagine any one club is disliked anymore than any other. Everyone has their reasons.

Rivalries, neighbours, arguments, splits, history, success, etc.

I get the feeling from talking to a lot of footballing people that Rhode haven't been that popular for a while now. Now, I'd be the first to say that could be a reflection of the people that I'm talking to. Equally it could be accurate. Whichever it is, I think most of the anti-Rhode sentiment stems from their success. When you're winning a lot, people tend to like you less. And the more you win, the less you're liked. In the hurling community, if people are honest, I think they'd probably say the same about Birr.

So, I think you'll get a different answer to this question based on when you ask it and where you ask it.

Finally, I'd be quite happy for Clara to be on the hate-radar, if I felt it was because we were winning things :!:
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

west offaly power
Junior C
Club: wheery

Post by west offaly power »

history: edenderry area : rynaghs ..... and because they are fond of themselves and der looks on the field clara !!!1 :D

offalyman18
Junior B
Club: offaly

Post by offalyman18 »

west offaly power wrote:history: edenderry area : rynaghs ..... and because they are fond of themselves and der looks on the field clara !!!1 :D
great comment .... oh yeah clara got to 3 senior football county finals in a row from been fond of there looks on the pitch :lol: senior county finals something someone from the west of offaly wouldnt know much about in years gone past

west offaly power
Junior C
Club: wheery

Post by west offaly power »

clara's dominance with football seems to be cumin to and end , with very little succes of late under age it seems that a famine is on the cards for the hawks , while on the other hand ferbane underage dominating nd looks good for seniors of the future :D

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

west offaly power wrote:clara's dominance with football seems to be cumin to and end , with very little succes of late under age it seems that a famine is on the cards for the hawks , while on the other hand ferbane underage dominating nd looks good for seniors of the future :D
i wouldn't put my house on the underage looking good for the future, look at K/K and ST.Rynaghs what they have won underage and still are way off winning senior :?

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

west offaly power wrote:clara's dominance with football seems to be cumin to and end , with very little succes of late under age it seems that a famine is on the cards for the hawks , while on the other hand ferbane underage dominating nd looks good for seniors of the future :D
Dont think I can agree with alot of this. Clara for starters have hardly had "diminance" as you put it. They had very impressive underage teams through 90's and part of 2000's but not too many of these lads matured into senior footballers. So I wouldnt use that as a gauge for where they will be at in the coming years.

I personally think Clara will be there thereabouts for a good while yet. Look at it this way, the current championship is as poor as Ive ever seen it. Rhode and Clara were both playing in a comfort zone. Id even suggest that both are not as good as we had thought. Now Edenderry have come along, a team that has stuttered past half a Tullamore team, and a relegation battling Tubber side. Look at where Walsh Island, Rynaghs, and Pullagh are now in comparison to a number of years ago. I dont think these teams have improved that much. The championship is just dreadfully poor unfortunately.

I think Clara will be one of the favourites for a good number of years.

On your final point I do totally agree, Ferbane's future looks very bright. There is an expectation and rightly so that they should be pushing for a senior title in the coming years.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Jaysus. I'm as hopeful as anyone about Ferbane's future, but so far it's just one minor title. Let's win a few more and maybe an under-21 or two before anyone starts presuming that senior success is inevitable.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.