Clara vs Edenderry 9/10/11

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
offalyman08
All Star

Clara vs Edenderry 9/10/11

Post by offalyman08 »

Paddy Power have the following odds for the final

Clara 4/11
Edenderry 11/4
Draw 13/2

High odds for a two horse race

Fargo Boyle
All Star

Re: Clara vs Edenderry 9/10/11

Post by Fargo Boyle »

Nearly 3/1 odds on Edenderry are great odds for a one of match. There must be heavy money on Clara.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

There wouldn't be any money on yet - it's simply a reflection of the fact that for the past few years in Offaly, Clara and Rhode have been a long way ahead of everyone else, and both clubs proved their ability in a Leinster context as well as an Offaly one. Edenderry have done well this year and improved immensely, but that's from a very low base.

It's a great pairing for the final and it should be a good occasion, but while I'd be wary of trusting Clara at odds on, I think the odds are fair enough.

I reckon that between multiple bets from lads all across Ireland and the "buying money" brigade, PP are likely to be cheering on Edenderry on final day.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

summerindublin
All Star
Club: New York

Post by summerindublin »

Lone Shark wrote:It's a great pairing for the final and it should be a good occasion, but while I'd be wary of trusting Clara at odds on, I think the odds are fair enough.
I just don't see this as a great pairing for the final as Clara will win easily.

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

summerindublin wrote:I just don't see this as a great pairing for the final as Clara will win easily.
Hmmm. This reminds me of the countdown to the 2007 County Final when both myself and Lone Shark thought that Shamrocks would beat Tullamore fairly easily.

All the same arguments were made:

- the stronger outfit
- if they play like they did against Rhode
- etc

None of it counted for much when Tullamore filled the Dowling Cup that evening.
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

The Magpie wrote:
summerindublin wrote:I just don't see this as a great pairing for the final as Clara will win easily.
Hmmm. This reminds me of the countdown to the 2007 County Final when both myself and Lone Shark thought that Shamrocks would beat Tullamore fairly easily.

All the same arguments were made:

- the stronger outfit
- if they play like they did against Rhode
- etc

None of it counted for much when Tullamore filled the Dowling Cup that evening.
Well said Magpie, the better footballers dont always win in a final. I cant see Clara throwing it away like Shamrocks did that day. Cruising at half time and really should have been double the lead they had. Then a dribbly goal and a mixture of some lads dropping the heads and poor decisions on the line and the Blues sneaked in to grab the Dowling. If one lesson was learned, then it should be to never change a winning team. Shamrocks like Clara had produced a great display to beat Rhode but then made changes for the final.

Clara wont make the same mistakes and so Edenderry will have to be playing to their absolute max and get a few breaks their way to win this.

I really dont care who wins this one, I just hope its a good game of open football. The county badly needs to see some good football.

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

After Edenderry lost to Erin Rovers in the opening game of the Championship, and Gracefield beat Clara in the second Round, who would have thought it would be Clara vs Edenderry in the County Final 5 months down the line?

But, fair play to both teams in getting to the Final, definitely the two better teams in their respective Semi-Finals. Looking forward to the game, should be a good one. Clara by 4.

Real Rob
Junior B
Club: Offaly NYC

Post by Real Rob »

Well said Magpie, the better footballers dont always win in a final. I cant see Clara throwing it away like Shamrocks did that day. Cruising at half time and really should have been double the lead they had. Then a dribbly goal and a mixture of some lads dropping the heads and poor decisions on the line and the Blues sneaked in to grab the Dowling. If one lesson was learned, then it should be to never change a winning team. Shamrocks like Clara had produced a great display to beat Rhode but then made changes for the final.

Clara wont make the same mistakes and so Edenderry will have to be playing to their absolute max and get a few breaks their way to win this.

I really dont care who wins this one, I just hope its a good game of open football. The county badly needs to see some good football.
Long John please don't be making comparisons with that Shamrocks Team and Clara because there is none and to be truthful your opinion towards Clara and they're Players wouldn't be held to high considering you spend alot of time on here knocking them at both club and county level so save your comments for some other Topic

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Real Rob wrote:

Long John please don't be making comparisons with that Shamrocks Team and Clara because there is none and to be truthful your opinion towards Clara and they're Players wouldn't be held to high considering you spend alot of time on here knocking them at both club and county level so save your comments for some other Topic
Hold on there Rob and dont start spouting crap. The only comparison I made is that they both had good performances against Rhode in Semi finals. Thats the only comparison. Am I wrong? No, didnt think so. I then went on to say they would not make the same mistakes. Which they wont.

Secondly I have never been knocking Clara. I have definately criticised Reynolds and Ross Brady and I would not change my views on them as a "county players". I think I am entitled to that opinion and if I'm wrong then I'm wrong but thats my opinion. You seem to ignore the fact that ive always said Scott Brady is one of the best midfielders the county has.

So Rob chill out a bit. I call it as I see it like everybody else here. So if you dont like it, then tough. I think they will win the final now. Thats the bottom line. I could'nt care less if they do or don't to be honest. I do however hope the football is a big improvement on what has been seen in the county the last couple of years.

Frank Mcguigan
Junior A

Post by Frank Mcguigan »

By matter of interest Long John would you be willing to admit that John Reynolds has been Clara's stand out performer this year and if Clara are able to get over the line Sunday will almost certainly be named player of the year.

Id imagine on the Edenderry side that Sean Pender is the main candidate, if himself and Reynolds happen to come up against each other on Sunday which is highly possible it could be a interesting sub-plot.
I used to think it was great being a wee nippy corner forward, but it's better now being a big, fat one.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Frank Mcguigan wrote:By matter of interest Long John would you be willing to admit that John Reynolds has been Clara's stand out performer this year and if Clara are able to get over the line Sunday will almost certainly be named player of the year.

Id imagine on the Edenderry side that Sean Pender is the main candidate, if himself and Reynolds happen to come up against each other on Sunday which is highly possible it could be a interesting sub-plot.
Id have to say he has had some good games. Thought he was very poor against Rynaghs. As far as player of the year goes, I wouldnt go that far. I thought Matt Mitchell has had some good performances and even players like Enda Dunne and Stephen Deehan have pulled them through games where the bigger names have been pretty quiet. Look Ive said it before, he'll kick a score if you give him ball in space but not if he has to fight for it. With Scott Brady back to full fitness there is every chance he will get plenty of ball favouring a forward.

As has been said by others in earlier posts, this championship has been pretty bad and there hasnt been much stand out displays. Pender is having a good season for Edenderry. For them to have any chance they have to keep Brady out of the game.

Goodsupporter11
Junior A
Club: Offaly

Post by Goodsupporter11 »

I just don't see this as a great pairing for the final as Clara will win easily.[/quote]

I Don't think for one second that this is going to be a one sided affair. I think its going to be a tight match with 1 or 2 in it in at the end. As i said in the other topic, this Championship has saw the teams considered the 'underdog' win/draw when they wernt given a chance. Edenderry will be really up for this final and will give a good account of themselves. Something tells me this is Edenderry's year. Would rather see Clara win because like Rhode they will go on and gave a good account of Offaly in leinster. I Wonder will Tomas Deehan retain his position after the preformance of John O' Hara when he came on in the semi? Clara need O' Hara on....Couldnt see Pat Flanagan drop his son Peter or Eoin Brady for the final.??

red exile
County player
Club: edenderry

Post by red exile »

I know this is slightly off topic but did anyone notice in the semi final that every time there was a free or kick out a Clara player went to ground and held up play till the rest got into their positions, this tactic will probably be used next Sunday as well.

Frank Mcguigan
Junior A

Post by Frank Mcguigan »

red exile wrote:I know this is slightly off topic but did anyone notice in the semi final that every time there was a free or kick out a Clara player went to ground and held up play till the rest got into their positions, this tactic will probably be used next Sunday as well.
Did anyone notice in the semi final that Edenderry have a habit of tauting oppentents after significant scores ala Dublin in the tommy lyons era, this tactic will probably be used next Sunday as well.
I used to think it was great being a wee nippy corner forward, but it's better now being a big, fat one.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Did anyone notice that Edenderry players have been diving and feigning injury quite a bit during this years championship, this tactic will probably be used next Sunday as well.