Christmas Friendlies!!!

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bogman
All Star

Christmas Friendlies!!!

Post by Bogman »

Why don't we have a friendly match between the Offaly senior county teams and club selections similar to Dublin vs Blue Stars, Meath vs Green Stars or Wexford vs Purple & Gold Stars?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I think every year Offaly should play the uibhfhaili.com All stars - i.e. a selection of legends which will be picked by a vote by posters on this site.

Greats such as:
Frank Weir, Scrap Bracken, Clocker Grennan, Peter Brady, Vinny Claffey, John Ryan etc.

In hurling:
Daithi Regan, Michéal Conneely, Hubert Rigney, John and Jim Troy etc.

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

Would the present day Offaly squads survive an encounter with such heavyweight legends. We want to build them up, not break them up.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Interesting point ''Bog Man''quite a few counties seem to go down this path around new year, I know there is one in kildare also, but I'm not sure how the are named on the day. Perhaps a half decent idea could be our county champions playing our county team which of course in Rhode's case would mean the county team being weakened considerably with a third of the team playing for the village but at least it would give some fringe players a chance to try and impress the selectors.
Its a tough one and I'm sure there are alot of interesting suggestions out there.

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

I wonder what the odds would be on Birr vs Offaly or Rhode vs Offaly. I'd be inclined to back the club teams because of their greater cohesion, if both sides were really going for it!

Would Birr be interested enough to play a match at Christmas or New Year?