Offaly V Monaghan, SFC qualifier, 25/6/2011

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
black and red exile
All Star

Offaly V Monaghan, SFC qualifier, 25/6/2011

Post by black and red exile »

Suppose I better kick this one off, impossible to know which Offaly team will turn up, the Offaly from last July that pushed Down to the edge of the cliff or the outfit that lay down their arms to retreat after Wexford's second goal four weeks ago, ya would hope after the soap opera of the last week that blood would be boiling in the fifteen that start on Saturday night, Monaghan no doubt will be a severe test, no world beaters but not a bad side either and of course being a Division 1 team will have them battle hardened for an expected Offaly backlash too, this could be a cracker or it could be like the Down qualifer in Tullamore a few years back, I'm sure everyone is just wondering what side of the bed our lads get out of on Saturday morning?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Some background info on Offaly V Monaghan

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Looking at the head-to head in the League, Offaly have played Monaghan 9 times with Offaly winning 4 of those, Monaghan’s sole win coming in their last meeting 4 years ago, while there have been 4 draws.

1984-85 Offaly 1-4 Monaghan 0-7 (Clones)
1990-91 Offaly 2-7 Monaghan 0-11 (Ballybay)
1992-93 Offaly 1-13 Monaghan 2-10 (Ballybay)
1993-94 Offaly 1-8 Monaghan 2-5 (Tullamore)
1994-95 Offaly 2-8 Monaghan 1-9 (Ballybay)
1997-98 Offaly 1-12 Monaghan 1-8 (Tullamore)
2004 Offaly 3-8 Monaghan 0-12 (Tullamore)
2006 Offaly 1-11 Monaghan 1-11 (Tullamore)
2007 Monaghan 0-13 Offaly 0-12 (Clones)

The only other meeting came in Croke Park in the Centenary Cup quarter-final in 1984. Monaghan won that one 1-10 to 0-10, a result that further hastened Offaly’s fall down the football rankings at that time.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

walshisland
Junior A
Club: 15

Re: Offaly V Monaghan, SFC qualifier, 25/6/2011

Post by walshisland »

Being going over this match in my head all day.

Have we any reason to fear monaghan? Yes and No

this game is winnable-but we need to visualise how we are going to do it.

Its the Mental Block in the Qualifiers that worries me.

the bookies have us @ 9/4 i think its justified.

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

Anyone know what the story is with admission into OCP on Saturday night? Is it all ticket or pay at the gate? And how much?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Just to confirm, some of the previous posts have been deleted and we would appreciate it if no further reference was made to them. I'll be the first to admit that I only read it as intended comedy and I have no doubt that the original poster and anyone who commented on it felt the same, however neither am I so conceited as to believe that I am capable of seeing everything from every perspective. Since there is nothing to be gained by leaving them up, it's best that we delete them and return to discussing the football match that lies ahead.

A sincere apology is offered to anyone who may have felt offended by what they read, and thanks to those who took the time out to highlight their feelings.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

InDublin
Junior C
Club: Daingean

Post by InDublin »

So, any sign of a team yet for Saturday?

naasmanxrhode
All Star

Post by naasmanxrhode »

Why do Offaly leave so late to name their teams, we could do it for them and be nearer the best team????
Be careful out their

offalyman08
All Star

Post by offalyman08 »

One change obviously with Anton out injured. Deehan & Reynolds wont be replacing him as both are gone from the panel.

In the long grass
Senior

Post by In the long grass »

offalyman08 wrote:One change obviously with Anton out injured. Deehan & Reynolds wont be replacing him as both are gone from the panel.
Gone??? Since Wexford game? Any others? Cant believe they jumped ship :(

walshisland
Junior A
Club: 15

Post by walshisland »

Offaly2010 wrote:Anyone know what the story is with admission into OCP on Saturday night? Is it all ticket or pay at the gate? And how much?

Its €15 for the stand
€10 for the Terrace

Being told that Under 16s are free for round one and two for the qualifers.

Real Rob
Junior B
Club: Offaly NYC

Post by Real Rob »

Gone??? Since Wexford game? Any others? Cant believe they jumped ship
They are Both not happy to be Sub's, don't really think ya could blame them considering Offaly were beat by 14points against Wexford and the Forward line apart from McNamee was absolutely Terrible

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

walshisland wrote:
Offaly2010 wrote:Anyone know what the story is with admission into OCP on Saturday night? Is it all ticket or pay at the gate? And how much?

Its €15 for the stand
€10 for the Terrace

Being told that Under 16s are free for round one and two for the qualifers.
Thanks for that walshisland.

faithfullad
Senior

Post by faithfullad »

Real Rob wrote:
Gone??? Since Wexford game? Any others? Cant believe they jumped ship
They are Both not happy to be Sub's, don't really think ya could blame them considering Offaly were beat by 14points against Wexford and the Forward line apart from McNamee was absolutely Terrible
Don't think you can really defend Deehan since he was brought on in the 1st half and was totally non-existent for the rest of the game. I suppose you wanted lads who were playing well before the Wexford game to be dropped in favour of Reynolds/Deehan for no apparent reason. They were both brought on. What more do you want?

Real Rob
Junior B
Club: Offaly NYC

Post by Real Rob »

Don't think you can really defend Deehan since he was brought on in the 1st half and was totally non-existent for the rest of the game. I suppose you wanted lads who were playing well before the Wexford game to be dropped in favour of Reynolds/Deehan for no apparent reason. They were both brought on. What more do you want?

Well maybe neither played Well when introduced against Wexford in your eye's,but at the same time how could Cribbin not play both next time out as these lads who played Great coming up to the Wexford Game just did not perform in the actual Game itself, now im not trying to say Deehan and Reynolds are work beaters but they should both be playing against Monaghan

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

Real Rob wrote:..... now im not trying to say Deehan and Reynolds are work beaters but they should both be playing against Monaghan
And maybe they would be. Removing themselves from eligibility for selection is hardly the way to go about it.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.