Offaly vs Waterford NHL Round 6 03/04/2011

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
uibhfaillian
Junior A

Re: Offaly vs Waterford NHL Round 6 03/04/2011

Post by uibhfaillian »

Lone Shark wrote:Surely though, we should consider ourselves level with Wexford at least, and Kilkenny roughly on a par with Tipp? By that logic we'd be as likely to win as them?

Sadly we probably aren't, but it's still an anomaly that illustrates the psychological hold Kilkenny have on us.
Good point. If Dublin can get a draw with Kilkenny like they did last Saturday, why can't Offaly aspire to getting a result against the cats? The invinceability of Cody's Kilkenny was destroyed by Tipperary last September. No-one -including Offaly - should fear Kilkenny anymore. On the face of it neither Offaly nor Wexford are faves to win, but if anything of the two, Offaly should be in with a better shout of an upset.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

You get the feeling that long after the other hurling counties are beating or really putting it up to Kilkenny, Offaly will still be rolling out the red carpet for the Cats.
Wexford have taken a few trimmings from Kilkenny as well, but you somehow feel they are much more likely than Offaly to give Kilkenny a real game.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

I don't think you can use the logic of oh because they beat them by so much we should beat them by x amount etc. Doesn't work. As regards Kk invincibility, well ever team is beatable on any given day. Tipp hurled the perfect game for them in last years final. Ya must rem the beat a Kk team short of prob the greatest hurler of all time for all bar 13 mins of the game, and missding their first choice number 6. Thread carefully!

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

Its going to be a very nervy last round for Offaly. Ive a feeling this team wont put up much resistance to Kilkenny and so the other fixture will be crucial. Tipp are 15 points a better team than Wexford and generally Wexford teams are full of huff and puff before falling away to the big guns. They will tear into Tipp and give it everything they have.

So you'd expect them to give Tipp a good rattle for 50 minutes and fall away in the last 20 minutes. This is League however and Tipp wont be at that championship level, they dont want to be yet either, and thats a worry. I worry Wexford could make this a very tough game for Tipp and which Tipp side has turned up could be very important for the sake of Offaly hurlers.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

I don't think you can use the logic of oh because they beat them by so much we should beat them by x amount etc. Doesn't work. As regards Kk invincibility, well ever team is beatable on any given day. Tipp hurled the perfect game for them in last years final. Ya must rem the beat a Kk team short of prob the greatest hurler of all time for all bar 13 mins of the game, and missding their first choice number 6. Thread carefully!

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

well sunday is a game we let slip again i think the few players that are out Paul Cleary and James Rigney
were badly missed on sunday as David Kenny was needed to be switch out of fullback as he got the run around
bye Shane Walsh who got 1-4 set up about 3 points and was foul for 3 more but we had no bench to do that.

as for the last league round well we will be looking for tipp to do the job for us because there is no way that i can
see offaly beating kilkenny, that will be looking for a win to get to the league final and cody and kilkenny have been
getting a little bit of stick lately.

even without a few of there best player's we still won't compete with kilkenny sunday week we just don't have the players
to compete with kilkenny, we lost to a waterford team without most of their household names a few came in at the end
only for Bergin having a good league and Dooley back in form we would be a poor enough team.

a few players were getting a bit of stick from supporters in the stand sunday were i was sitting and shouthing at Joe Dooley
to take this and that off and this or that player shouldn't be on the team, well my opinion is if there was anyone better on the bench
than what was playing fair enough as i said to a friend beside me at the match the 3 sub's Joe put on were as bad if not worse than
the player's he took off.

so now the men that were saying why this and that shouldn't be on the team now know why because theres nothing better than them on
the panel, roll on kilkenny sunday week but sure you never know hurling is a funny old game :)

Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

That KK team that played Dublin on Sunday and even Waterford the week before are beatable. Offaly should not fear them and tear into them. KK are obviously still hot favourites and Cody will fire those young lads up to get to a league final, but Offaly would be in with a shout if they go to Nowlan Park in the right frame of mind.
The problem with Tipp is that it is hard to know what Tipp will turn up on Sunday week in Thurles. They could be slack after massive win against Gal or they could be on a roll!
I do think Tipp will win but I'll be nervous on Sunday week!

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I broadly agree with you on all three points below.
Slieve Bloom Man wrote:That KK team that played Dublin on Sunday and even Waterford the week before are beatable. Offaly should not fear them and tear into them. KK are obviously still hot favourites and Cody will fire those young lads up to get to a league final, but Offaly would be in with a shout if they go to Nowlan Park in the right frame of mind.
The problem with Tipp is that it is hard to know what Tipp will turn up on Sunday week in Thurles. They could be slack after massive win against Gal or they could be on a roll!
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Slieve Bloom Man wrote:That KK team that played Dublin on Sunday and even Waterford the week before are beatable. Offaly should not fear them and tear into them. KK are obviously still hot favourites and Cody will fire those young lads up to get to a league final, but Offaly would be in with a shout if they go to Nowlan Park in the right frame of mind.
yes we should tear into them but will we and if Bergin and Dooley are held who will get the score's :?
if you think back to sunday's game i'd say our midfield of Hayden and Mahon struck the ball about 4 time's
between on sunday that won't do again the cat's.

as for wexford and tipp i think tipp will win well theirs players out to nail down a place on the team for the clash
with Cork in may at Thurle's, and if you remember last years clash Fanning getting the ear slice of him plus there
was one or two more things going on i think tipp will but them to bed early thurles will suite tipp game and they
will run out 6 to 9 points winners in hope.