Offaly v Wexford - NHL 27/03/2011

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Offaly v Wexford - NHL 27/03/2011

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Just to put a context on the importance of this match.

As we all know, the loser will almost certainly be relegated. At the same time on Sunday, London travel to Banagher (the Derry one!) to play the locals. The winner will face Wicklow in the Division 3 Final. My point being – Offaly, should they lose on Sunday – could be playing London this this time next year.

Perish the thought.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I meant to post this sooner, but didn't . . .

While I’m at it, I noticed the list of the team management in the programme for the Tipperary match listed Francis Forde as ‘trainer’. This is despite the programmes for the Cork & Galway matches describing Forde as ‘coach’, while the Dublin match programme didn’t list the team managements at all.

Is there something in this, or am I just too suspicious?

townman
All Star

Re: Offaly v Wexford - NHL 27/03/2011

Post by townman »

Maybe they forgot to put his name on the programme, as for the match its self yes a relegation one alright
don't know where to start. we have been through who not playing and whos not played where the thing is
the 15 who go out on sunday will have to do it.

and you know i think we will pull it off on sunday and win we come good when our backs are to the back and they
will be on sunday. with Dooley back and Carroll and Bergin played alright i think we will get enough scores for this one
but the game will go as plan if we get a good start we have to get off on the right foot we don't want wexford to get there
tails up or it could be curtains.

we have yet to put a good 70 minutes together yet in the league lets hope it will be sunday offaly bye 4 i'd say :)

kinnittyman
All Star

Re: I meant to post this sooner, but didn't . . .

Post by kinnittyman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:While I’m at it, I noticed the list of the team management in the programme for the Tipperary match listed Francis Forde as ‘trainer’. This is despite the programmes for the Cork & Galway matches describing Forde as ‘coach’, while the Dublin match programme didn’t list the team managements at all.

Is there something in this, or am I just too suspicious?
You're on the ball here POTH!!

Did Joe Quinn get the hump after accusations levelled at him by management of an unfit team?

That's the rumour.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

well when you look at Peter Healion again Dublin and a few others and the way we die out of games
they might have a point.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Re: I meant to post this sooner, but didn't . . .

Was Joe Quinn involved? I didn't know he was. And if he was relieved of any training duties, why should the coach be 'relegated' to the position of 'trainer'.

My point is that Forde was originally listed as 'coach' but was listed as 'trainer' for the last match. My understanding was that Forde was brought in to carry out coaching duties.

Anyway there's not much the trainer can do if fellas can't stay out of that chipper in the Square in Kilcormac! I've made the odd nocturnal visit to the place when I hadn't the patience to queue in Tullamore and to be honest, I can't see the attraction. :D I would also have passed the comment to the lads here from time to time that the Kilcormac team could do with a more persuasive dietician.
kinnittyman wrote:You're on the ball here POTH!!

Did Joe Quinn get the hump after accusations levelled at him by management of an unfit team?

That's the rumour.

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

Offaly team vs Wexford:

1.James Dempsey
2.Stephen Egan
3.David Kenny
4.David Franks
5.Michael Verney
6.Rory Hannify
7.Derek Morkan
8.Conor Mahon
9.Dylan Hayden
10.Brian Carroll
11.Joe Bergin
12.Colin Egan
13.Daniel Currams
14.Ger Healion
15.Shane Dooley (C).

Wexford team vs Offaly:

1.Noel Carton
2.Paul Roche
3.Matthew O'Hanlon
4.Keith Rossiter
5.Lar Prendergast
6.Darren Stamp (C)
7.Ciaran Kenny
8.David Redmond
9.Harry Kehoe
10.PJ Nolan
11.Eoin Quigley
12.Stephen Banville
13.Rory Jacob
14.Garrett Sinnott
15.Jim Berry.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

its the best side we could put out Micheal Cordial is unlucky he might have a part to play of
the bench. anyway best of luck to the lads and for the right result.

esto fidelis
Junior C

Post by esto fidelis »

Probably the best team we've had out in the league to date and gives us every chance of taking the points and retaining Division One status. Good to see Kenny and Franks back in the full-back line should steady things up a bit.

Its hugely important Sunday that Shane Dooley is on his game with the freetaking. He hasn't been confident with them in the last few weeks as he was last year and to be honest I think this will be the difference in staying up and goin down.

rocket57
County player

Post by rocket57 »

You're on the ball here POTH!!

That's the rumour.kinnittyman
All Star

I dont think that the training was the porblem the problem was that when you have a team out on saturday morning heavy session and then a weights after that how can you play the next day the players were out on their feet thats not joe quinns fault thats managment fault they organised the training.
The trained before the Dublin Galway matches and probley others as well.

Hope they win tomorrow they need the support so we need everyone their lets hope for the best

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

I agree that training was not the problem. Management decided this year to use a large physical type player at full forward such as Ger Healion at full-forward instead of a class athlete such as Diarmuid Horan. Joe Quinn is a very good physical trainer, but that was asking the impossible from him. Donkeys dont win derbys. The trainer does not pick the panel.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Diarmuid Horan is a class hurler but won't hurl with offaly :(

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

A smashing day already - conditions will be ideal.

I'll take a fired-up Offaly to lead by something like 8 points near half time. Wexford will reel them in - t'will be level with 5 or 10 to go. Anyone's guess then.

Briefly, If I was Wexford I'd put Big Banville at centre-forward on Hannify. Offaly should let Brian Carroll take the frees. Carton in goal is far from an inter-county goalkeeper. Offaly's team as selected is the best available. I can't think of anyone who's available who's not lining out - if in doubt have a look at the list of subs in the programme.

kIlkenny's recalling Mick Kavanagh & Noel Hickey to the full-back line does not bode well for their future. We can take it they will line out there in June and July. that being the case, who will wear 2 & 3 in June & July 2013. KIlkenny need freshness at this stage. Perhaps a change of management.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

i don't think Hanniffy would have no problem with Banville he was great the last day on Noel McGrath who is streets
ahead of Banville in all the hurling skills.

as for kilkennys who will wear 2 & 3 in championship of 2013 with them in the last 3 minor all irelands and most likely they will
be there or there abouts this year i think you will see they won't have to many problems finding corner back's .

kilkenny have made 6 or 7 changes most games this year they had a complete new fullback line again Galway and let in 3-4
so codys going back to the old heads for today i wish offaly had the same pick.

as for change of managment don't think cody is finish yet remember Kerry wanted micko out after Cork beat them in 1983
they came back to win 3-in-a-row . i don't think kilkenny and cody are finish yet again this summers out they could be back
on top. to many people are reading into the Galway game remember Galway also won last year in a great match in Nowlan park
but when it came to the when it matter the leinster final was over at half time or maybe 10 minutes into the second half.

outside of tipp theres not a another county near kilkenny and you won't beat the cat's every year.....

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Just caught the end of a Shane Dooley interview on Radio 3. Sounds like we pulled through today. Awaiting any details as they become available.

Good news!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.