Offaly vs Westmeath 2011 Leinster U21 football championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Offaly vs Westmeath 2011 Leinster U21 football championship

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Offaly Under 21 team announced

THE Offaly Under 21 team to face Westmeath on Wednesday evening has been announced.

Included in the starting 15 are Brian Connor, Graham Guilfoyle and Bernard Allen who have all featured for the senior team in the league this year.

Despite a shoulder injury, Rhode’s Anton Sullivan has been listed among the subs.

The team in full is:

1.Gavin Sheil
2.John Ledwith
3.John Maloney
4.James Mc Padden
5.Adrian Murphy
6.Chris Mc Donald
7.Cian Donohue
8.Brian Connor
9.Brian Geraghty
10.Graham Guilfoyle
11.Rory Allen
12.Michael Brazil
13.Bernard Allen
14.Paddy Rigney
15.Paul McPadden

Subs

16 Shane Nally
17.Stephen Guing
18.Garret McNamee
19.Donal Ryan
20.Noel A Graham
21.Paul O Rourke
22.Daniel Heffernan
23.Brian Hogan
24.Robbie Leavy
25.Thomas Bolger
26.Anton Sullivan

http://www.offalyexpress.ie/sport/gaeli ... _1_2477082

High School Musical
All Star
Club: St. Vincents

Re: Offaly vs Westmeath 2011 Leinster U21 football championship

Post by High School Musical »

Noel Andrew Graham not starting!
I'm slightly surprised.
How is this team looking? Are they poised for a good run this year does anyone know?
We've struggled at this grade for a long time now....

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

There's a few odd selections on that team from what I can tell, but nonetheless I would be happy to bear in mind that management is seeing these guys play all the time and it's not like any of the rest of us get to see how they train or anything.

I think it's a very tough draw this year in that we're taking on a good Westmeath team, away from home and with a match under their belts already. We could have a very decent side and still not win this fixture so I wouldn't be blaming anyone for not getting over the line - having said that it's a very decent forward line and while the backs don't exactly leap off the page to the same extent, there still is a lot of talent there.

We'll miss Anton, they'll miss Heslin so it's par for the course in that regard. We'll travel in hope.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

wazzaman
Junior A
Club: N/A

Post by wazzaman »

Im not surprised that Noel Andrew Graham is not starting.. I bet my life on it, the lad is not fit i wont go into detail on that here, but anyways he's a good footballer and would start on the team if he didn't live the high life.

lone shark what are the odd selections? maybe you might tell us after the game.. just interested to know as i will be going 2 watch.

Is cribben the manager?

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

wazzaman wrote:Is cribben the manager?
No, Martin Murphy of Gracefield is the manager.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

wazzaman wrote: lone shark what are the odd selections? maybe you might tell us after the game.. just interested to know as i will be going 2 watch.
I don't want to criticise the management as I said because they see these guys every week and know what form they are in currently. This isn't like a senior intercounty team with players that have put in a lot of time, this is young lads who aren't always in form, who may or may not be handling college life and who could have any one of a number of reasons for not being selected. All I'll say is this:

(1) Donie Ryan is an outstanding young footballer who I rate very highly. As the main man in Birr's defence, he took on some very good forwards in the last couple of years and outplayed them all. He doesn't always catch the eye in the way that a barnstorming all action defender would, but he does his job and does it very well. I wouldn't play him as a full back, but I'd be delighted to have him in my team in any of the other five positions, and it surprises me that we have five footballers considered better than him, particularly since a few of them would have very little experience of even playing a decent level of club football.

(2) Similarly Shane Nally, both as a keeper and as a half back. Club bias maybe but he is talented with an exemplary attitude - again, all I'm saying is that if the guys we've picked are better than him, we have a really good half back line.

(3) I do not agree with Anton as a sub at all.If he's not fit to play, he shouldn't be there at all- if he is fit to play, he should start. If he's touch and go and they want to use him, then he should start. That way if he's able to play you'll get a full game out of him, and if he's not then you make one change instead of two. Now the plan could be to start him anyway, but if not then I don't like the idea of having him on the bench at all.

ballcrazy
Junior C

Post by ballcrazy »

hope anton is playing ,doesnt matter if he starts or not ,be good if he came in as sub ,is he really fit to play

ballcrazy
Junior C

Post by ballcrazy »

loneshark dont agree ,would be good to have anton for any stage of the game ,fit or not hes better than most others

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

ballcrazy wrote:loneshark dont agree ,would be good to have anton for any stage of the game ,fit or not hes better than most others
There's varying degrees of fitness here. He's not 100% healthy, but neither has he lost an arm - he's somewhere in the large middle ground between those two extremes. Without knowing exactly where, you can't say whether or not he'd be an improvement or any of the six forwards that have been picked. Either he's able to play, in which case he should be starting, or he's simply not, in which case there is no logic to having him on the bench. If he's in that middle ground where he might be okay or he might break down, it makes much more sense to start him - that way you get every minute out of him that's possible. Having him on the bench means that you will only bring him on when he's badly needed, and even then he could break down after five minutes you end up using two substitutions.

Hence my logic - he should be starting, or else not tog out at all.

Sharp Eye
All Star

Post by Sharp Eye »

I am very surprised that Noel Andrew Graham are not listed on the team. Noel Andrew Graham was our best minor footballer last year. He defeated Laois & Meath virtually on his own. He was probably our top scorer, despite playing at midfield. James Mc Padden failed to retain his cornerback position on last year's minor team. A very small forward line has been selected with no great ball-winners. Surely there must be better under 21 footballers in the county. I heard a team called Shannon Gaels have reached the county under 21 semi-final. What area do they represent? Who have they on the panel?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Sharp Eye wrote:I am very surprised that Noel Andrew Graham are not listed on the team. Noel Andrew Graham was our best minor footballer last year. He defeated Laois & Meath virtually on his own. He was probably our top scorer, despite playing at midfield. James Mc Padden failed to retain his cornerback position on last year's minor team. A very small forward line has been selected with no great ball-winners. Surely there must be better under 21 footballers in the county. I heard a team called Shannon Gaels have reached the county under 21 semi-final. What area do they represent? Who have they on the panel?
(1) NAG was possibly the most naturally talented footballer on last year's minor team, but that's not necessarily the same thing as the best. He played some great games but was a big part of the reason why we struggled against Longford too. Top scorer is a bit of a misnomer as well - find me a team in Ireland where the top scorer isn't the freetaker?

(2) James McPadden was injured for most of last Summer if I'm not mistaken.

(3) I'd call the half forward line the best line on the field. Ruairí Allen might not be tall, but he's very physical and I'd have no worries about him winning his share of breaks, while Brazil getting a run with UCD over some good footballers proves that he's capable of more than holding his own in this company.

(4) Shannon Gaels is Rynaghs and Shannonbridge, though this year they're largely Rynaghs' minor footballers from last year. I don't know if they have anyone in there to be honest.

Overview
Junior B

Post by Overview »

Having seen 90% of the U21's games in the lead up to this match the Management have picked the players who are on form and Noel Andrew is not firing on all cylinders at the moment. Donal Ryan who was flying, unfortunately went over on his ankle in training on Friday evening, is a huge loss as in his 4years playing under age Championship for Offaly his direct Opponent has never scored. Anton who has not played since his injury was always going to be a difficult call for the Management but i feel they have made the right decision not to start him but i think his presence on the bench will be a cause of concern for the Westmeath Management and they were right to name him.
So good luck to Martin Murphy, Selectors and Team, if we can secure the lions share of possession in the middle of the field and the forwards play as a unit (rather than selfishly) we have the fire power to beat Westmeath.
Last Word

gunnerman
Junior A

Post by gunnerman »

Lone Shark
Donie Ryan went over on his ankle on Friday night and was probably going to start if he was fit. The management have had these guys for the past 3 or 4 months so they are the only ones capable of a correct judgement.

Anton is listed as a sub because he is part of the panel and wont be togging out.

As for Shane Nally, it was nip and tuck with him and Shiel for the goals, nothing between them.

Noel Andrew is not in great form therefore his place goes to someone who has been playing well recently.

Offaly are a great price at 11/4 (almost 3/1)

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

What club is that Shiel chap from?
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

In the long grass
Senior

Post by In the long grass »

Gav Shiel is from Killeigh, a very good keeper who plays outfield for club. A very good soccer keeper aswell who had trials in England with Oxford a couple of years ago. Also big into the hurling!