Leinster SHC 2011-Dublin v Offaly

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
townman
All Star

Re: Leinster SHC 2011-Dublin v Offaly

Post by townman »

tipptopper25 wrote:Yee should be glad the game is on in Dublin. It gives some of yee the chance to get out of the most
depressing county in Ireland for the day. Ha ha.
tipptool why don't you tell us the real reason liam sheedy left tipp or over who's ??? :lol:

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

kinnittyman wrote:This Home and Away arrangment "for preliminary games and Quarter-Finals in 2011" is very vague. Does it mean that Offaly will only get home advantage against Dublin next time they meet if its in a Prelim or Quarter?? So a semi would be in a neutral venue?

Or does it mean that this arrangement stands for 2011 only and it was the luck of the draw? So if we draw Dublin in Prelim/Quarter in 2012 it will be back to a neutral venue or worse still a toss of a coin and we could end up in Parnell Park again??

I need some clarification PLEASE!!! Any chance the County Board could help us out?
Ah come on Kinnittyman surely you know by now that the Leinster Council will simply make it up as they go along :lol:
Wrong vibes from Joe already. Last time I was up in Parnell Park it was a full sized playing pitch with two sets of goalposts, nothing out of the ordinary at all. Get on with the job ahead would be my advice. We're not complaining that the footballers finally have a home game next summer against Wexford are we? It works both ways and I prefer the home and away arrangement. Sick of watching nearly every Offaly football and hurling game in Portlaoise over the last 5 years so bring on the home and away.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

bracknaghboy wrote:
kinnittyman wrote:This Home and Away arrangment "for preliminary games and Quarter-Finals in 2011" is very vague. Does it mean that Offaly will only get home advantage against Dublin next time they meet if its in a Prelim or Quarter?? So a semi would be in a neutral venue?

Or does it mean that this arrangement stands for 2011 only and it was the luck of the draw? So if we draw Dublin in Prelim/Quarter in 2012 it will be back to a neutral venue or worse still a toss of a coin and we could end up in Parnell Park again??

I need some clarification PLEASE!!! Any chance the County Board could help us out?
Ah come on Kinnittyman surely you know by now that the Leinster Council will simply make it up as they go along :lol:
Wrong vibes from Joe already. Last time I was up in Parnell Park it was a full sized playing pitch with two sets of goalposts, nothing out of the ordinary at all. Get on with the job ahead would be my advice. We're not complaining that the footballers finally have a home game next summer against Wexford are we? It works both ways and I prefer the home and away arrangement. Sick of watching nearly every Offaly football and hurling game in Portlaoise over the last 5 years so bring on the home and away.
at least a few supporters will go if its portlaoise or tullamore the support offaly hurlers had again Antrim this year in parnell park was a disgrace
and it will be the same again Dublin next year. we had a great support for the replay again Galway in portlaoise where were they again Antrim,
thats why we get sh.t on over where game's are played because our county board have no balls and we are a sun shine supporter's.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

townman wrote: at least a few supporters will go if its portlaoise or tullamore the support offaly hurlers had again Antrim this year in parnell park was a disgrace
and it will be the same again Dublin next year. we had a great support for the replay again Galway in portlaoise where were they again Antrim,
thats why we get sh.t on over where game's are played because our county board have no balls and we are a sun shine supporter's.
The county board has to do what's best for Offaly GAA, and a big part of that involves getting games into O'Connor Park. I wouldn't equate playing every match in Portlaoise with "no balls". Put it another way - if we had entered a home and away arrangement with Antrim, we'd either have had home advantage for that game, or else we'd have gone to Belfast, brought no fewer supporters, and know that they'd be coming to Tullamore the next time.

As for the sunshine supporters, well that's just the way it's been for years. It's debatable how much advantage there is to hordes of drunk daytrippers shouting "Gwan number five" anyway.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

It's not as if playing everybody in neutral venues do us much good.
In the last decade, our record Portlaoise for neutral venue championship games is 1 win (Carlow 2007) and 8 defeats - An 11% win rate

In Tullamore in the same period it is 8 wins and 6 losses - A 57% win rate.
Never mind other factors like getting more games into the newly redeveloped ground and boosting the local economy.

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Bord na Mona man wrote:It's not as if playing everybody in neutral venues do us much good.
In the last decade, our record Portlaoise for neutral venue championship games is 1 win (Carlow 2007) and 8 defeats - An 11% win rate

In Tullamore in the same period it is 8 wins and 6 losses - A 57% win rate.
Never mind other factors like getting more games into the newly redeveloped ground and boosting the local economy.
God there was a time when offaly footballers used to love playing football in portlaoise we had a great record in the 60's and 70's in it
its funny we always could beat laois there but got it hard to beat them in tullamore, laois like playing in tullamore down the year's.
in fact they were the last county to beat Dublin outside of croke park in leinster in 1981 in tullamore.

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

Parnell switch ruled out
02 November 2010

The Leinster Council has ruled out the possibility of next year's Leinster SHC first round between Dublin and Offaly being moved from Parnell Park.

Offaly manager Joe Dooley is furious that his team are being forced to travel to the Donnycarney venue on May 29 after his county board agreed to a Leinster Council proposal that all preliminary round and quarter-final ties be played on a home and away basis in 2011.

And as Dublin were first out of the draw drum, they are entitled to home advantage. However, with the dates and venues having been rubberstamped at a Leinster Council meeting last Wednesday, there is no room for manoeuvre according to Leinster Council chairman Sheamus Howlin.

He told The Irish Daily Mirror: "We recommend to a full Council meeting our fixtures, all fixtures - minor, under 21, junior, intermediate, senior - they are discussed at a meeting of the Leinster Council. Decisions are made, we make the draw on television as everybody saw and they're our draws for the year.

"You make agreements, you discuss them, you debate them and you come to a conclusion. That's the agreement."

(Taken from HS)

townman
All Star

Post by townman »

Of course it won't be switched from Parnell park now, Dublin wouldn't agreed to it anyway because they will see
it as a good chance to beat offaly in that bear pit plus they have a big bill to pay Anthony Daly after this year's flop.

so Joe get the head down and the player's we have as much if not more hurling talent as Dublin and we will be underdogs for this one.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

Bord na Mona man wrote:
tipptopper25 wrote:Yee should be glad the game is on in Dublin. It gives some of yee the chance to get out of the most
This sort of INTERNET wumming might have been passable back around 1999.
Its fairly lame nowadays though.
I don't even think it was passable in the last century!

Fargo Boyle
All Star

Post by Fargo Boyle »

Lads

please stop responding to Tipptopper25 as he is a troll and all you are doing is feeding his posts.

"Do not feed the trolls" and its abbreviation "DNFTT" redirect here. For the Wikimedia essay, see "What is a troll?".
For other uses, see Troll (disambiguation).

A prank cake using common troll motifs such as the acronym 'YHBT' (You Have Been Trolled), the term 'pwned', and Guy Fawkes masks.In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion"

Source wikipedia

tipptopper25
Junior A

Post by tipptopper25 »

Fargo Boyle wrote:

Lads

please stop responding to Tipptopper25 as he is a troll and all you are doing is feeding his posts.

"Do not feed the trolls" and its abbreviation "DNFTT" redirect here. For the Wikimedia essay, see "What is a troll?".
For other uses, see Troll (disambiguation).

A prank cake using common troll motifs such as the acronym 'YHBT' (You Have Been Trolled), the term 'pwned', and Guy Fawkes masks.In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response[1] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion"

Source wikipedia
ha ha. Very good. The problem is offaly people are so thick that someone will respond to this message. Fools. Ha ha. Tiobraid arann abu!!!!!!

My Left Foot
Senior

Post by My Left Foot »

Anyway :roll:

I would rate Offaly & Dublin on a par so we will have it all to do to beat them next year.

They will have belief in themselves and home advantage in Parnell Park.

But we played there this year v Antrim and got a good scare there so hopefully that memory will help us have ourselves match ready for when the ball is thrown in and not think it'll be a stroll and nearly (deservedly) be beaten like this year.

I would like to see some new players coming through but there aren't too many showing at the moment.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

My Left Foot wrote: I would rate Offaly & Dublin on a par so we will have it all to do to beat them next year.

They will have belief in themselves and home advantage in Parnell Park.
I'd say being realistic, that's probably a bit kind to Offaly. We will have the psychological advantage of never having lost to Dublin in a championship game for donkey's years, but their achievements relative to ours in the Anthony Daly/Joe Dooley era are significant. They dropped the ball against Antrim last year but other than that one isolated incident, they've been developing well. It's also reasonable to assume that they will have two or three new contenders from underage teams next year, while I really don't see where we're going to get anyone new. After all, there's nobody jumping off the page from the club championships this year as a county prospect who wasn't in the squad last year.

I wouldn't be throwing in the towel, but I'd say if a bookie went up with anything bigger than 4/7 about the Dubs right now, he'd have the hand bitten off him.

Long John
All Star

Post by Long John »

I think neutral venues should be the case for every championship game. These teams train so hard all winter for that big 1st championship game. It should be an even playing field for all, neutral venues should be in place and theres no question about it, if right was right that would be the case. But this is the big thicko's in the GAA as always. Similarly I cant understand why u21 provincial finals are played at the home venue of a county taking part in it. That is utter crap also.

If there was neutral venues for all championship games, Id imagine O' Connor park would be well up on the list for alot of games. I think Offaly would benefit financially from this. Other counties would bring bigger crowds to OCP than Offaly's own supporters on championship day.

As regards the fixture itself, Id say Dublin should be overwhelming favourites now. Offaly are man for man better hurlers than them but theres a weak mindset there and the majority of those players have lost to lesser players in Parnell park on a number of occasions particularly at u21 level.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

There's some cases where neutral venues are just impractical though. For example what's a good neutral venue for Offaly vs Laois, or Offaly vs Westmeath? Every neutral venue would favour one or the other and be way further away. Similarly games like qualifier matches between Derry and Waterford might be fixed for Tullamore, but no-one would go. Better to at least get two or three thousand home supporters in one of the two venues.