It's Westmeath!!

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

It's Westmeath!!

Post by Lone Shark »

Bring it on. Bring it the Hell on.

Hocker
All Star

Bring it on!!!

Post by Hocker »

Bring it on is right... Ye poxy Maroon F**kers.. We'll do ye next may.
I hope its in Croker!
Ye'll need more than dodgy umpires to beat us this time.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Hurling draw

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

So, it's Laois, then Wexford.

First reaction is one of relief to avoid Kilkenny.

As regards Laois, the QF 2 years ago was in Tullamore because of a home-and-away arrangement dating back to 1980. Does this mean next years episode will be in Portlaoise?

Assuming a win here, a return to Nowlan Park seems likely. A fifty:fifty tie, where 6 months work will come down to the last 10, 5, minutes. After two narrow defeats in the last 3 years, Offaly shouldn't want for motivation here. The rehabilitation began against Clare. Time now to beat a top 9 team. A win would mean a direct route to the quarter finals and, more importantly, avoiding another releation play-off situation.

Something that was mentioned here late in the day last year. When fixing dates, could the Leinster Council, in the interest of furthering hurling in their province, ensure the Leinster semis are fixed a week earlier that last year, to give the losers an extra week before they face the qualifiers. THIS IS CRITICAL.

Bogman
All Star

Good Draws!!!

Post by Bogman »

There'll be even more of an edge to Offaly's football championship preparations with Westmeath waiting. Will this increase the chances of some of the old warriors staying on?

The hurling draw gives us a decent chance of making a Leinster final with Laois and Wexford both beatable.

Couldn't be much better!! Bring it all on!

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

We certainly can't complain about the draws. Our footballers have an excellent chance of at least reaching a Leinster final.Surely after last year's disaster in croker, revenge will surely drive the lads to take Westmeath in what will probably be a double header along with Meath v Louth at headquarters. By jaysus we owe these flash in the pan, fly by night one year wonders a hiding after last year.
Our hurlers, as well as all us long suffering supporters certainly breathed a sigh of relief when we at least will avoid Kilkenny until the Leinster final providing we get over Laois and Wexford. Lets be honest Laois should not be a problem and through the last 25 years we have won the majority of the battles with the Model County, even though 2003 in Nowlan park and last year's Leinster final were games we should have won pulling up,[lets hope lessons will have been learned].
Roll on next Summer and as LONE SHARK roared out the battle cry ''BRING IT ON''. COME ON THE FAITHFUL.

azoffaly
All Star

Draws

Post by azoffaly »

I like both of these draws. I was hoping for Meath in football, with the winners to play Kildare, and Laois in hurling with the winners to play Wexford. Apart from getting W***meath instead of RealMeath it all came out nicely, and of course it'll be good to play a real high intensity match in the first round against our beloved neighbours.

The hurling is good as well. Laois will, at the very least, put it up to us and if we get past them, then Wexford will be 'cold' waiting for us. What odds on two Leinster final appearences next year?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Now that the initial buzz has settled, I'm definitely thrilled with these draws.

Starting with the hurling, it's exactly as we want. While it might seem a bit unreasonable for there to be seeding, I still think it was great for us. Beating nobody, avoiding the qualifiers and getting straight into an AIQF cold with no-one beaten wouldn't have done us any good. Instead now we're faced with a good warm up which we still should win, a beatable set of opponents in Wexford if we play our own game, and the chance to reach a Leinster final with nothing to lose. I certainly go along with POTH's post though - a bit more help from the Leinster Council is vital - not that I expect it though.

The football is absolutely plum as far as I'm concerned. The Westmeath match is just what we need - we should beat them if we play our game, but a lot will rest in the hands of management's ability to keep a cool head and stop problems before they develop into crises. If we can do that, then we have the players to beat them.

That brings on Kildare, with a game behind us, and who we've had the beating of in recent years. Meath or Wexford will hold no fears either. plenty of chances to feck it up, but a great draw all the same. And the local aspect to it should ensure we are seriously battle hardened if we do reach a Leinster semi final too.

All of this is moot if we don't learn how to win close games. Step up KK, real leadership is needed ......

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

If we're to have a good run in Leinster, then what better way to launch it than against our poxy neighbours from Wastemeath who fluked it in 2004.
What greater motivation can we have than that WIDE getting flagged as a point and Rory O'Connell's cowardice in seeking refuge in the courts.
It's time to restore order as it existed for 55 years.

If we were to use an animal analogy, Wastemeath would be an insignificant, but annoying midget, that occasionally requires swatting.

Ron
All Star

Venue

Post by Ron »

So where is the Offlay versus Wastemeath game then? HQ with another game or Mullingar?
All in all good draws in both codes, plenty of local rivalry to go round!

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I hope they keep it provincial - my concern would be that they'd put it in Croke Park as a double header with Louth and Meath - and neither county needs that.

By all means, put it in Mullingar. Another excuse they won't have.

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

Looks like it's Croker !

But reaching a Leinster final doesn't look like a frightening prospect.
Difficult ok, but much more achievable than if we were in the other side of the draw.

harperj
Junior A

Post by harperj »

Croker May 14th as double header with Meath

Hurlers May 21st Portlaoise

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Time to book holidays accordingly!

Croke Park is the right venue for the Offaly-Wastemeath encounter.
But lets remember that when Tullamore is re-developed, the next championship match between the counties is due to be held there.

Cusack (Dunnes Stores Car)Park in Mullingar is not a suitable venue though.
It's far too small. Remember there weren't enough tickets to go around to watch Offaly whip them by 10 points back in '97.
That's why when the home-and-away agreement between the 2 counties is re-enforced, Wastemeath should use Portleix as their home venue.

Though there is some merit in going into their county to defeat them!