offaly gaa annuals

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
drummy
Junior B

offaly gaa annuals

Post by drummy »

anybody know what ever happened to the gaa annuals in offaly??? i unearthed a few my father had kept and they're a great read! it would b great to get them back! who was the individual/group behind the annuals?? certainly did a fine job.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Re: offaly gaa annuals

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I've got those annuals from 1981 & '82. I think there was one from 1980 as well though I'm not sure. They were published by the county board. Eugene McGee had a hand in the editing. Have a look inside the fron cover - the comm-itt-tee are listed there.

One from around 1992 was on ebay recently. I don't know anything about those. I've also got an Offaly Expressone from 1999 & I gather from that issue that there was one the previous year too.

They seemed to be issued around the years the teams were sucessful - in fairness no-one is going to want to read about failure. Possibly there wasn't one in 2000 because the club championships ran late.

Drummy, what years do you have?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Plain of the Herbs wrote: They seemed to be issued around the years the teams were sucessful - in fairness no-one is going to want to read about failure.
If I remember correctly there was only a few pages about the county teams then the rest was usually 2-6 pages devoted to each club. Lots of old rubbish in them about fathers and sons playing on teams through the years but were still a good collectors item. Must have a gawk in the attic tonight for some from the early 90's.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

bracknaghboy wrote:
Plain of the Herbs wrote: They seemed to be issued around the years the teams were sucessful - in fairness no-one is going to want to read about failure.
If I remember correctly there was only a few pages about the county teams then the rest was usually 2-6 pages devoted to each club. Lots of old rubbish in them about fathers and sons playing on teams through the years but were still a good collectors item. Must have a gawk in the attic tonight for some from the early 90's.
i have a few from 1988,89,90, 94,98, they were great books but haven't seen many of them since i moved to kilkenny
some of the books had great teams from the 80s in them.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Lman, when did the Offaly Express start doing them?
leinsterman wrote:i have a few from 1988,89,90, 94,98, they were great books but haven't seen many of them since i moved to kilkenny
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

drummy
Junior B

Post by drummy »

i have 1998 and 1999, i would have read them at the time but they almost disappeared unknown to myself

yes, most clubs seemed to get a mension and it reminds me, 12 years on of some of the young players who showed potential and never fullfilled it. pity.

however it gives the younger players and trainers who get no praise a boost, to see that their efforts are recognised. i think this is crucial in the development of the gaa. agree???

would it not promote the clubs around the county and have one specifically dedicated to the club scene?? although, it is unlikly that some1 will take on the task. would the county board be willing to approach the midland tribune or the offaly express about bringing back these annuals??

there is a national one, however the local one provides a much more interesting read i feel.

would all of you reading actually go out and buy one??? because i certainly would!!

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I'd buy it and i'd say a lot of people would. You'd imagine with the internet and email being what it is it would be 10 times easier to gather the info than it was 10-20 years ago when they were produced.
drummy wrote:would the county board be willing to approach the midland tribune or the offaly express about bringing back these annuals??
The county board don't bother their collective arses to provide fixtures and results on the official website or aertel so I guess the idea of them approaching anybody or doing anything to promote GAA in Offaly is out of the question!

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:Lman, when did the Offaly Express start doing them?
leinsterman wrote:i have a few from 1988,89,90, 94,98, they were great books but haven't seen many of them since i moved to kilkenny
The books i have were done bye the offaly indendent tullamore.