County senior football championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
ballinamereman1
County player

Re: County senior football championship

Post by ballinamereman1 »

well well well lads. were here.. the last weekend in september.. and four remain standing.. like i said in this forum during the group stages i predicted rhode,shamrocks,tullamore and clara to remain and the duly are..
clara v tullamore.. this one will be a classic.. promises to be the game the year. i think the town have the edge though over clara. being in attendence in both quaters tullamore were the far more impressive. however this clara team can blow hot and cold and maybe they will be finely tuned for this semi to stop a repeat preformance of what happened against tubber..
in the other semi tullamore were very very impressive and looked to be back to their best.. the ripped through the walsh island defence for sport with williamson and dooley simply on fire.. another thing that has to be said is tullamore were missing shane kelly that day and he was in contention to be their player of the year up to that quater as he turned it savage preformances in the group games.. that said however this game wont be won by him alone but he is a useful cog in the tullamore boot.. tullamore are hard bet at this stage and seem to be hitting form right on time.. i wonder will the hurlers in the semi have an impact on them though..?? i still go for the town to win by the least margain possible.. however clara have a big game in them.. but will we see it on saturday?? i promises to be a classic..

rhode v shamrocks. this game is always a mouth water prospect.. both teams have been here before and will be here again.. rhode seemed a team on their last legs against ferbane and how ferbane blew that game i will never know.. the had rhode for the taken early in the 2nd half.. although i referred to rhode as a team on last legs they are still unbeaten in this years championship.. the likes of mcnamee and anton are just ticking over nicely.. these two men can be match winners by themselves and thats why we cant write rhode off yet.. shamrocks after a bad start are coming into form.. they just did enough to beat ballycumber but they didnt look great.. pj ward however seems to be a one man show for them.. he really has pulled them through by himself this year.. itis now shamrocks need the likes of nigel dunne to really put in a big game.. shamrocks are missing a huge amount this year.. and with neville couglan on the sidelines the lack the man marker they need to pick up mcnamee.. it will be interesting to see who picks up mcnamee,.. a major blow to rhode will be the loose of alan mcnamee around the middle third..
this game although both teams have gone back since previous meetings will still be keenly fought.. if nigel dunne turns in a big preformance and pj ward continues in the form his been in i see no reason why shamrocks cant take this one.. it could come down to a shoot out between ward and mcnamee.. il stick with my prediction i made on this forum earlier in the year that if shamrocks meet rhode ina quater or semi they would win and il go ahead and give them the vote but this will be close..

TRUEGAEL
Junior A

Post by TRUEGAEL »

i think rhode and clara will inprove greatly in the semi finals and i think the final will be a dinger,rhode to edge it after a savage battle.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

I think Saturday evening will be perfect for Shane Dooley to show us why he is one of the best forwards in Offaly football at the moment. I don't expect him to disappoint.

paulwatts
Junior A

Post by paulwatts »

balinamereman1
clarav tullamore: are you gone mad. shane kelly was as near to player of the year as i am. tullamore i think will win by 3 r 4 pionts with, as you said dooley leading the line...he is a class act..thomo and reynolds will be hard stopped because at club level the duo are hard stopped. deehan has been the best player in offaly for 2 years now and if tullamore curtail his influence theyl reach a 3rd county final in 4 years.clara have been good champs and will fight till the end.

rhodev shamrocks:rhode to win by 10 pionts id say , thats providing they hit form. i know im a shamrocks man so you might think im playn it down but im deadly serious. niall mac, anton,paschal....too much for us. they are the best club side in offaly over the last decade and loosing last year will have hurt them. shamrocks are going well enough actually after the tratment of my cousin pat clavin earliear in the year.ward was flying the last day after a championship that has been mixed for him...played well against brigids and was simply class the last day.suffers on the big days. niall mac will produce his usuall class performance and that cud b the differtence. nigel dunne could well be playing his last game for shamrocks...and i was talkin to tom cribben during the week and he said dunne was the one player in this years championship that has shone. i feel he could score more., but many like the marty clarke role he plays incuding cribbin.
so rhode and tullamore in the final with rhode to win......and lienster awaits the village

Georgio1
All Star

Post by Georgio1 »

Paul Watts, why could he be playin his last game for the Shamrocks?
Rhode will psyche out Ward alright and expect a bit of a scuffle or two!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Clara and Rhode to go through here.

TRUEGAEL
Junior A

Post by TRUEGAEL »

the village to awaken this weekend and show there class,i think tullamore catch clara

The Magpie
All Star

Post by The Magpie »

When the draw for the Senior Football Championship semi-finals was made in 2007, the same pairings were made. Clara and Rhode were the bookies favorites to advance. Clara had a young team that had surprised many to reach the previous County Final (2006), while 3-in-a-row and reigning County Champions Rhode boasted an unbeaten run that stretched right back to the County Final in 2003. The first shock of the weekend saw Rhode falling to a very hungry and talented Shamrocks team - undoubtedly the best team of the noughties not to win a Dowling Cup. The following evening in O'Connor Park, despite having a late goal chance to snatch a draw, Clara were outplayed by Tullamore and beaten by two points. Neither Clara nor Rhode could have any complaints.

Since then, both Rhode and Clara have returned to win a Dowling Cup apiece. Rhode's form in 2008, demolishing just about everybody (including posting a record score in a County Final) and reaching a Leinster Club Final, was top-drawer stuff, and an indication of their intent to continue their dominance of Offaly football. That came to a halt last October when Clara pipped them in an entertaining County Final by the bare minimum. Clara subsequently performed very respectfully in Leinster, though not reaching a Leinster Final. However, despite Clara having a great year, people are quick to forget that they struggled against both Gracefield and St. Brigids in group games last year - those are the two teams in this years relegation final.

There is enough information here to end any arguments about Clara or Rhode being unbeatable - that's just silly stuff. Both are vulnerable. Both have fault-lines. The recent County Quarter Finals played-out by both teams certainly proved this and gave other teams in the County renewed optimism.

Personally, although both teams were poor (Clara moreso), I think they were both in no-win situations. Both teams progressed from their respective groups with 100% records - neither looked even remotely like being beaten, although Rhode only beat Ballycumber by a single point. So when the 1st placed team from both groups was paired-up with the 4th placed teams, there could be only one outcome. Rhode and Clara would stroll past Ferbane and Tubber - 10 points comfort. But things never quite pan-out like that - and they didn't. Rhode trailed Ferbane by three points before putting things together and although Clara didn't trail Tubber at any point, they were given far too many scares.

Despite all of this, both teams have also done enough to be recognised as the two best football teams in Offaly at present. It's easy to throw-in the sound-bite stuff, like "they look a bit shaky at the back" and "if you stopped such a fella, they're beatable", but the facts are indisputable - nobody has scored more or conceded less than these two teams. So, all other things being equal, if Clara and Rhode approach the County Semi-Finals with the right mentality, they would be my favorites to prevail.

Tullamore and Shamrocks will look to say otherwise this weekend. Shamrocks had a difficult start to the championship this year, losing to Clara in the first game and Ferbane in the second game of the year. However, they've now won their last four games and although it's difficult to read too much into the remaining 3 group games (as the next 2 were against Gracefield and St. Brigids, while they'd already qualified for the Quarter Finals by the time they played Tullamore), their Quarter-Final win over Ballycumber was a really good result. Despite this, I'm one of those people that believe this teams best chance of a Dowling Cup has come and gone. Rhode look too strong all the way up the pitch for Shamrocks, who may find scores particularly hard to come by if the Rhode backs keep PJ Ward under wraps - which I expect they will. Look towards Roy Malone as being the real goal threat, rather than Niall, Anton, etc.

By the time Tullamore and Clara played in the 4th round of the group stages, both teams had already qualified. It has been mentioned here that this was a clash without the usual tenacity that one would expect between these neighbours and while that's true, it's hard to know whether it was because neither team cared enough or because the game just wasn't close enough at any stage. While I'm opting for the latter, since I refuse to accept Tullamore would ever lie down for Clara, it's clear that Tullamore were not at full strength that evening - I know that at least Shane Dooley and James Keane were missing and those are two big players for the blues. From that game I can only say that Tullamore simply conceded too many scores. A similar defensive performance will see them beaten.

However, Tullamore are on the crest of a wave right now and will be confident. Having defeated Birr in the Hurling last weekend, many of the dual players will start to feel like they can do just about anything and the value of this shouldn't be underestimated. Add to this the defeats that Tullamore inflicted on Clara in 2007 (Semi-Final) and 2008 (Quarter-Final) and Tullamore have much to be optimistic about. Where Tullamore's truest form lies is the key to the outcome of this contest.

The Quarter-Final in 2008 (though beaten) and this years group game had much in common. Clara dominated for long periods, limited Tullamore to low scoring and created a large number of scoring chances - if they exert that dominance again, I don't expect them to leave it behind them.

But hey, I've eaten enough humble pie in the past :D
The Dog chases the Car....the Car stops....the Dog can't Drive!

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Great preview there Magpie
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

paulwatts
Junior A

Post by paulwatts »

dunne is going to pollagh...all his family before him have played with the club, and he has been living there the last 3 months. ward will get treatment against rhode cos they no the danger he is...

Silken Thomas
All Star

Post by Silken Thomas »

To begin, heartiest congratulations to Edenderry for the retention of their Senior status.
A noble feat, considering the task that eventually befell them...
Time to reflect and recharge as knockout football awaits us next year...
Well we live in hope :)

It's the first two group Championship in moons perhaps record and for the two powerhouses of Offally football it's still a case of same as you were!
Shamrocks are a far more resilient variety than I thought. A smorgasbord of hope and Mooneys highlighted deliciously by the delicacy that is PJ Ward. And delicacy is the word :!:
Only fairytales and comics though can foresee their 4th County final attendance this decade.
Ward to be goaded and taunted, the defence to be stretched and happy endings for another day...

For beneath the tradition and the enthusiasm is a hunger and pride which stretches above the hopeful, or mere quest, into the territory of mania!
Seriously though! Has your club ever trained four nights on the trot??? Or knocked up a Century of sessions in 3/4's of a calender year? I thought not :(

The availability now of David Hope and Ronan Heavey must also be heralded if only for Tom Coffey's benefit. Glen O' Connell and James Coffey must be on borrowed time? For physicality is genetic and Championship is not for the faint hearted...

Though perhaps i'm the dinosaur. For thirty miles away, the presence of six foot plus behemoth's are clearly an unwanted commodity. Share the love. Better still can Mr. Flanagan explain the absence of Joe Quinn and Kieran O' Meara whilst keeping a straight eye. Hourses for course I suppose and perhaps gamesmanship in lieu of a future battle that seems all too predictable.

Which leaves the rich kids of the County. An aristocracy. Spoiled for talent but caught now with their thumbs in too many pies. Obviously in decent shape with Stephen Egan left to meander around Junior A. But a negative is always easier to produce than a positive so I expect Tullamore's last two shining lights to be swallowed completly some time late on Saturday evening...
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

The last two substantial posts illustrate perfectly why local papers are struggling - the quality is to be found here, albeit on an occasional basis.... (I'm guessing ST, it's hard to find the time to log on when you attend all those training sessions...... :P )

Seriously, The accepted line is that Rhode will win with ease, while Clara are ripe to be picked off by the marauding townies. If That is the case, then I'm going to give up trying to forecast anything because I clearly haven't a clue.

When Clara won the county title in 2003, they got out in front of Rhode, and held on as the tide came at them. It counted just the same as any other title, but you wouldn't have come away from the game thinking that the mentally stronger team won - it was a case of hanging on and surviving as Rhode didn't quite have enough in the tank.

Last year was a different matter entirely though. This was a team with a plan, a style of play, and most of all, the firm belief that if they held true to that , they would get their reward. The way they kept their discipline when they were getting absolutely nothing but dire calls from the referee was very impressive and it was no surprise to see how they performed in Leinster.

I'd forgive the performance against Tubber for the same reasons the Magpie outlined, but they are forewarned against Tullamore and have a point to prove. If they don't win this with three or four points to spare, it means they will have underperformed in a game where their reputation was on the table - I can't see it happen, but if it does I'll actually consider it a pity since it's nice that Rhode have a rival, not because they've dropped in standard, but because somebody else has improved to meet them.

Equally I think that Rhode are favourites, but I consider Shamrocks to be the more likely team to cause an upset. Being Shamrocks, a twelve point defeat can't be ruled out either since there are nowhere in Offaly is there a panel of players quicker to dissolve as a unit when the pressure comes on, but they do have a lot of talent individually and when things are going well, they are a hard team to stop. A lot depends on the fitness of Alan McNamee. I'll be the first to admit that I thought people were overestimating his contributions to Rhode and Offaly for the latter half of the decade gone by, but he is playing better this year and his absence played a big part in Ferbane winning midfield. If he plays, he should get on a lot off ball and control the play. If not, then I think Rhode could be in a bit of bother because they have absolutely no midfield without him. The intermediates hitting the wall against Shannonbridge rightly brings David Hope and Ronan Heavey into the mix but funnily enough, I think it's Chino Cole that's as likely to get a call up and that's an indictment of their options in that area.

It's not that I think Shamrocks will win, but they're a more dangerous outsider taking on a team that are arguably the weaker side mentally of the two favourites. I've no idea how Niall McNamee will be stopped and that conundrum remains, but I'll be going in hope of a genuine contest anyway.
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

If he doesn't win an All Star, Shane Dooley can at least boast that he carried more passengers than Ryanair. He put in a great 8 point scoring display, however it wasn't enough to keep Tullamore afloat and Clara were worth the 3 point win, 0-14 to 0-11.

Tullamore set their stall out by keeping an extra man back to guard the Clara full forward line. Since they didn't have the option of the high ball, Clara had to work hard to get into scoring positions with the crowded Tullamore defence. Tullamore tended to score on the counter attack, with a lot of it channelled through Dooley.

While Tullamore lead on two occasions, 4-3 in the first half and 8-7 early in 2nd, I always felt Clara were the likely winners. There was of course the possibility of a sucker punch goal and Tullamore have a habit of winning games against the head, but they didn't have enough match winners on the field this evening to make it happen.

Clara pushed for home in the mid way into the second half. Having lead 7-5 to at half time, they were suddenly a point down when Tullamore opened the 2nd half with 3 quick points.
Clara upped it a gear and built the lead back up to 3 points. Crucially Joe Quinn started to get out in front of Shane Dooley and win the ball ahead of him, so Tullamore were unable to reply to Clara's scores.

Late on Tullamore helped by the introduction of John Kenny reduced the margin to the minimum, but Clara never panicked and stuck the ball up the jumper to patiently run the clock down and stick over the closing two points.

Overall Clara had the slightly better ball players, their work rate and tackling was good and they dispossessed Tullamore players regularly. The ref let the play flow as you'd imagine Brian Cody does at Kilkenny training, so the game occasionally turned into something resembling rugby. While it didn't favour anyone in particular, it did introduce a certain random element to the evening.

Like the preceding Tubber match, this contest should bring Clara on a bit. They had it a bit too easy in the group stages, so every stiff test is welcome. They may lack a player to hit the killer pass, but the team ball retention skills are good. When attacking there is a good sense of patience in working the openings

I'm not so sure Graham Guilfoyle should be left in so near the goals though. He snapped over two nice points from play, but his impact could have been more sustained outfield. Especially when Tullamore had conceded space further out the field by withdrawing a man. This would have given more room to carry the ball past people. Also this would have potentially tempted out the Tullamore backs who would naturally be inclined to go out and tackle the incoming runner, thereby creating the space that Deehan and Reynolds weren't being given. There were a few occasions at the breakdown when the likes of Scott Brady emerged from the ruck with the ball and it would have been perfect to have Guilfoyle on his shoulder to offload to. Instead the options were static and Clara ended up going through the phases and re-cycling the ball.
Just a thought.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

Bord na Mona man wrote:If he doesn't win an All Star, Shane Dooley can at least boast that he carried more passengers than Ryanair. .
Great !
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

Good to see Gracefield stay up senior, offaly football need Gracefield to be strong again they always gave good players to winning offaly teams.
am i right in saying they are the only club to win the junior,1959 inter,1960 and senior 1961 plus won the first leinster club title for offaly.