Resumption of Club Championships

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Resumption of Club Championships

Post by Offaly2010 »

With both county teams now out of their respective Championships does anyone know when the Hurling and Football Club Championships will resume??

uibhfhailiabu
County player

Re: Resumption of Club Championships

Post by uibhfhailiabu »

Offaly2010 wrote:With both county teams now out of their respective Championships does anyone know when the Hurling and Football Club Championships will resume??
Not sure about the football championship but the hurling is definately back on next weekend..
Keep The Faith

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Friday evening - Birr hurl Rahan in Lusmagh.
On Saturday evening, Coolderry get a chance to break their O'Connor Park duck when they take on Brosna Gaels while Shinrone & Belmont meet in Banagher.
Double header in Rath on Sunday aft, Clareen v Lusmagh followed by Kinnitty v Kilcormac. Rynaghs travel to Tullamore to take on the locals that evening.
uibhfhailiabu wrote:
Offaly2010 wrote:With both county teams now out of their respective Championships does anyone know when the Hurling and Football Club Championships will resume??
Not sure about the football championship but the hurling is definately back on next weekend..
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

drummy
Junior B

Post by drummy »

why are coolderry brought up to tullamore to play brosna? would there not be a more neutral, suitable venue be chosen?

joe bloggs
All Star

Post by joe bloggs »

Sure look at Rynaghs they are going to OCP to play Tullamore, so don't be whinging about it not being a neutral venue for Coolderry v Brosna Gaels.
'if your not part of the solution, your part of the problem' J. McClean

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

I think they are trying to use O'Connor Park as much as possible since they spent such money on it. Bit of a shame really it wont be close to half full wheras the game held in Kilcormac or Banagher would be closer to both teams and would make sense as the crowd wouldnt look as small.

If they are going to use O'Connor Park for Club games I think they should look at double headers, have games at 4pm & 6pm, give the punters value for money, get 4000 or 5000 into the place which would get a great atmosphere going, I know some days the ground wouldnt hold up, but at the moment with the dry weather it would easily hold two games. For eg Shinrone and Belmont could easily have been held in OCP aswell, they would be two pretty good games.

tacmot
Senior

Post by tacmot »

Hey backofthenet where are u getting the 4000 or 5000 that will go to OCP if coolderry/brosna and shinrone/belmont were playing. you wont have 300 driving 30 miles there next sat to pay £10 or £15 euro to see a totally crap game.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

I hate it when Offaly are knocked out of the inter-county championships.
The clubs are great and all, don't get me wrong, but it's just not the same...

drummy
Junior B

Post by drummy »

Sure look at Rynaghs they are going to OCP to play Tullamore, so don't be whinging about it not being a neutral venue for Coolderry v Brosna Gaels.

im not from either club but i think it would make more sense to let u10, u12, u14 and u16 in to promote the game more at underage level. agree?? Personally, as an intermediate hurler, id prefer to play where the crowd create an atmosphere. it creates a sense of achievment for a young lad and boosts their confidence. mol an oige agus tiocfaidh siad!

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

GreatDayForTheParish you are dead right, it's very difficult to get excited about club games coming up so soon after our County teams are knocked out of the championship, apart from people connected with the clubs and a hanfull of neutrals there will be very small crowds at these games at the weekend and especially with the hurling been such a let down last Sunday it will be very hard to get an appetite to watch club action so soon.
I suppose it's a bit like Sharon Stone breaking up with you after 6 months and ya going out with Mary Harney on the rebound :(

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

tacmot wrote:Hey backofthenet where are u getting the 4000 or 5000 that will go to OCP if coolderry/brosna and shinrone/belmont were playing. you wont have 300 driving 30 miles there next sat to pay £10 or £15 euro to see a totally crap game.
Yeah im probably being a bit optimistic there alright :lol: But in fairness I think you would probably get 1000 or so there which would be a good gate. I think youll have about 500 or so there on saturday, Brosna Gaels have had 2 good results, both are unbeaten and Coolderry wont be taking this game too lightly I can assure you.

drummy
Junior B

Post by drummy »

19:30 Birr v Shamrocks
1/33

16/1

8/1

19:00 Shinrone v Belmont
5/6

9/1

evens

19:30 Coolderry v Brosna Gaels
1/10

14/1

5/1

25th Jul 2010
14:00 Seir Kiernan v Lusmagh
1/5

10/1

7/2

15:30 Kinnity v Kilcormac/K
11/10

8/1

5/6

18:00 St Rynaghs v Tullamore
4/5

8/1

11/10

shinrone belmont 9/1 a draw! wat do ye think lads??(and girls!)

the weasel
Intermediate

Post by the weasel »

any word on the birr shamrocks game anyone?

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I wasn't there but I heard Birr beat d'schyte outta them - something like 3-25 to 1-9. Heard Hayden went to town, scoring 3-6 or thereabouts from full-forward.
the weasel wrote:any word on the birr shamrocks game anyone?
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

ballinamereman1
County player

Post by ballinamereman1 »

any other results lads..