A hundred years ago . . .

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

A hundred years ago . . .

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I spotted this in the Tribune on the page with the goings-on locally in 1910 . . .
LEINSTER HURLING CLASH WITH WEXFORD
A pretty large crowd travelled to Jones Road on Sunday last to witness the Leinster Hurling Championship match between King’s County and Wexford. It was a disappointing day, in as much as King’s County was beaten. Certainly Wexford fielded a rattling team, but at the same time we think that if the men who were picked to represent Offaly on Sunday turned up matters might present a different aspect. It is hard lines, Kings, to be bowled over in the first round but we honestly believe that until such time as there is more unison between the Northern and Southern ends of the county, you will fare no better, as Sunday last plainly shows.
We expect better things from our brother Gaels, the King’s County footballers who are meeting Kilkenny on Sunday next in Maryborough. There is a good representative seventeen chosen, and we are certain that every man will be in his place, and try and retrieve some of our lost honours. There ought to be no excuse for players turning up when trains are running from convenient centres. The majority of the players hail from Tullamore and Geashill, two good teams, whilst one or two are picked from Cloghan and Philipstown. We dare say the famous Reds will again be donned on Sunday, and we wish them every success.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

My Left Foot
Senior

Re: A hundred years ago . . .

Post by My Left Foot »

Thank God we managed to get rid of that North South divide. It would be embarassing if one hundred years later it was still there ........oh wait ......! :lol:

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

Where was or is Phillipstown? Im guessing reading the line that it's possibly Ferbane or Shannonbridge?

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

black and red exile wrote:Where was or is Phillipstown?
Its Daingean these days.

black and red exile
All Star

Thanks BNMM, Jaysus I was way out there :oops:

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Daingean was originally named Philipstown in 1556 when it was established as the county town in the land that was planted by Queen Mary Tudor in the newly-shired King’s County. The town and the county was so named after her husband, Philip II of Spain, King consort of Ireland.

The town was once the seat of the O’Connor clan, who were chieftains of the surrounding area of Offaly. Its current name ‘Daingean’ from Daingean Ua bhFáilghe means fortress of the Uí Fáilghe clan, a name which it derived from the mediaeval island fortress of O’Connor Faly.

In 1883 Tullamore replaced Daingean as the focal point of the county. As a result Philipstown was demoted from capital town to village and as a result lost most of its political status. It was in 1922, with the foundation of the Free State, that the village was renamed Daingean, at the same time as County Offaly replaced the old King’s County.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daingean

azoffaly
All Star

Post by azoffaly »

What is the 'famous reds?'. Did Offaly wear Red back then? And if so, was that in honour of Edenderry or somewhere?
Shane Gavin. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

azoffaly wrote:What is the 'famous reds?'. Did Offaly wear Red back then? And if so, was that in honour of Edenderry or somewhere?

I dont go back quite a hundred years, though its getting to feel like it, but I do remember going to Croke Park some time in the mid seventies, after the demise of the early 70's team in 74 and before the revival in 78, so must have been 75/76/77. Anyway, Offaly played Meath in a championship match wearing red jerseys. I remember they looked awful raggedy jersies as were the team who were hammered. At that stage it was probably an Edendarry set.
"The ball may pass, but the man, never."

Bord na Mona man
All Star

the bare biffo wrote:
I dont go back quite a hundred years, though its getting to feel like it, but I do remember going to Croke Park some time in the mid seventies, after the demise of the early 70's team in 74 and before the revival in 78, so must have been 75/76/77. Anyway, Offaly played Meath in a championship match wearing red jerseys. I remember they looked awful raggedy jersies as were the team who were hammered. At that stage it was probably an Edendarry set.
Must have been 1976.
http://www.uibhfhaili.com/offalygaa/res ... =&referee=

black and red exile
All Star

I was at that game against Meath in the mid seventies, I was just a nipper, and as far as I can remember they were the Edenderry jerseys that the lads wore to stop a clash of jerseys with Meath, I also remember Offaly were awful that day :(

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

The programme for that 1976 game lists the Offaly colours as "dearg agus bán" while the Meath colours are "ór agus glas".
As for the 1910 Reds, Offaly didn't wear the tricolours until 1917.
black and red exile wrote:I was at that game against Meath in the mid seventies, I was just a nipper, and as far as I can remember they were the Edenderry jerseys that the lads wore to stop a clash of jerseys with Meath, I also remember Offaly were awful that day :(

BUFFALO
County player

Post by BUFFALO »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:The programme for that 1976 game lists the Offaly colours as "dearg agus bán" while the Meath colours are "ór agus glas".
As for the 1910 Reds, Offaly didn't wear the tricolours until 1917.
black and red exile wrote:I was at that game against Meath in the mid seventies, I was just a nipper, and as far as I can remember they were the Edenderry jerseys that the lads wore to stop a clash of jerseys with Meath, I also remember Offaly were awful that day :(
Can anyone confirm why and how we came to wear the green,white and gold?

I have heard stories before of a sort of mini tournament involving all 32 counties with the winners in each Province earning the right to wear tricolours.
This is a somewhat dubious assertion,because there are no other counties with the green,white and gold so dominant in their jersey.
It was also said,that in Munster it was Kerry;in Connaught it was Leitrim;and in Ulster it was Donegal.
I'm not sure as to what the facts are in this regard.

black and red exile
All Star

Thanks BNMM for printing that 1976 team, god I had forgotten half of those great names that played that day. My memories of that day were, apart from the awful performance, was the scorching hot day and John Smith travelling up to Croke Park in the car with us and travelling back home he was giving out hell about having to wear those effing red jerseys :lol: AH MEMORIES OF A 9 YEAR OLD.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

The hurlers were beaten by Westmeath the same day too. Talk about the darkest hour being just before the dawn!!
black and red exile wrote:Thanks BNMM for printing that 1976 team, god I had forgotten half of those great names that played that day. My memories of that day were, apart from the awful performance, was the scorching hot day and John Smith travelling up to Croke Park in the car with us and travelling back home he was giving out hell about having to wear those effing red jerseys :lol: AH MEMORIES OF A 9 YEAR OLD.

black and red exile
All Star

POTH, were the hurlers in the curtain raiser before the football game or were they playing at a different venue? It's just that I have no recollection of the hurlers playing in croker that day, of course they could have been on beforehand I just can't recall.