Declan Kelly incident

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
TheManFromFerbane
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Declan Kelly incident

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

http://www.hoganstand.com/Offaly/Articl ... x?ID=53404

I am very wary about posting this topic because I understand there may be friends or even family who might read this site. However does anyone know what the story behind this is? When was the incident. I didn't hear anything about it??

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

It was in a game last year I believe, he was cited and given a 48 week ban by the county board, which was then served.

It went before our beloved :roll: Judge Neilan last week, and he decided to enforce a five year ban on playing Gaelic Football - which is a questionable decision to say the least, not least because it is (a) difficult to enforce and (b) possibly outside of his powers.

The fact that he doesn't seem to be contesting it would lead me to believe it's just a question of intent rather than culpability, but again, I'll have to join the ranks of those who can only say I wasn't there.

The Biff
All Star

Indisipline

Post by The Biff »

This item also got mentioned as part of an article in Saturday's Irish Indo Sport supplement. The main thrust of the article was about how hypocritical was the GAA response to the International Rules "violence" in Australia, while there are so many bad incidents here at home. The writer (cant remember who it was, but it wasn't our own PJ) focused on three examples, the 15 year old clattered in the Laois Hurling final, and TWO incidents from Offaly. One was this one on Declan Kelly and the other on a row between the team mentors at an Offaly U/12 match some time ago. They even had a big photo of one female mentor throwing something at another.

I dont remember this incident (but then, I'm not based in the Faithful fold anymore) but it was a bit unfair to use two incidents from our own county to illustrate this point. We all know that our level of "violence" is hardly any worse than other counties, and certainly not as bad as in Wastemeath. :wink:

Treasurer
All Star

U-12 Incident

Post by Treasurer »

The u-12 incident took place just a few weeks ago - the u-12 final was the curtain raiser to the senior hurling final.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

But is this Declan Kelly from Tullamore or Pullagh??

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Pullagh

azoffaly
All Star

Declan Kelly

Post by azoffaly »

But is this Declan Kelly from Tullamore or Pullagh??
I told you that already. *sigh* Young lads never listen to their elders :)