Rathnew vs Rhode Preview

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Rathnew vs Rhode Preview

Post by Lone Shark »

Since the completion of the new Croke Park, it is widely held that it stands comparison with the Stade de France, the Nou Camp, or any of Europe’s great amphitheatres. Where soccer has great occasions such as the FA Cup Final, or the Champion’s League final, we have the Munster Hurling final – without doubt the equal to any such occasion. And of course, while soccer has such fierce and intimidating home venues such as the Ali Sami Yen in Turkey, the GAA is not without its’ equivalent either – Aughrim. Home of thirteen a side finishes, rabid home crowds and referees being bundled into car boots, Aughrim has long been regarded as one of the most partisan home venues in the country, and has seen many Offaly teams come and go without reward down the years. It is into this arena that Stephen Darby leads his Rhode charges next Sunday when they take on perennial Wicklow kingpins, Rathnew, and as such will represent a new sort of challenge for this Rhode team.

When looking forward to this game, it’s hard to steer away from clichés. It goes without saying that in order to have a chance both trams will have to play to their potential on the day, and play for the full hour. On paper, Rhode are a much stronger team than Rathnew. When Wicklow made their solitary Leinster Championship appearance this summer, losing to Kildare in May, they took the field with only one Rathnew player, Leighton Glynn. Their county under twenty one side was no different, with only Nicky Mernagh flying the flag. In contrast, Rhode have backboned Offaly senior and underage teams for years now, sides which would usually be strongly fancied to overcome their Wicklow counterparts. However, not having used a cliché for several lines now, games are not played on paper. There are several reasons why Rhode can and indeed might lose this match.

Firstly, as is by now customary, they came through the Offaly championship with some ease, with only Shamrocks in the final putting up any real resistance in a meaningful game. By contrast, Rathnew were run close on three separate occasions this year in Wicklow – winning each one by one, two, and one point margins respectively, including two knockout games. This will leave them much more battle hardened than Rhode, who have still left observers unsure as to their stomach for a dogfight style of match. While Rhode’s star players and county panellists for next year are young players approaching their peak, Rathnew are backboned by experienced warriors like Trevor Doyle and Leighton Glynn, players whose experience will be crucial in a scenario that the Wicklow team will be all too familiar with. Finally, Rathnew’s trump card is full forward Tommy Gill, who proved he has overcome his recent injury when he scored six points, all from play, in the county final. Gill’s ability has been noted on several occasions by Leinster selectors who have picked him on several interprovincial teams, and monitoring him, along with lively corner forward Mernagh, will be a big ask for a Rhode full back line that has been called into question on occasion.

Ultimately, none of this changes the fact that if Rhode play to their potential, much like the Clonguish game last year, they can win this with something to spare. Portlaoise’s defeat to Stradbally on Sunday has opened up the draw for them in Leinster, as a semi final slot now looks a lot closer. If they can look forward to this game and see it as an opportunity, rather than travel with trepidation, they should hit the ground running, and get in front early on, forcing Rathnew to chase the game. This should result in Rathnew leaving the kind of space at the back that Niall McNamee and Paschal Kelleghan will thrive on. Stafford and Byrne in the Rathnew midfield are good club players, but Alan McNamee has found a new level in his game this summer, and if he can take control of that area of the field, and find his forwards with good early ball, then the potential is there to register a sizeable score. Equally, Joe Kilmurray and Eoin Byrne have been offering great support from wing back, and if they can continue to do this Rhode have the athleticism to swamp their counterparts and dominate possession.

Clara came here two years ago, and despite also having the ability to do better, they got sucked into a dog fight, and left Aughrim with their Leinster hopes in tatters. Rhode have had plenty of time to focus on this Leinster championship, and with last year’s humiliation at the hands of Portlaoise still all too fresh in the memory, they should avoid that pitfall and advance to the next round where Stradbally lie in wait.

turk
All Star

Post by turk »

It goes without saying that in order to have a chance both trams will have to play to their potential on the day
trams, ha ha ha

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

They have both been training hard for it I'm sure.

the bare biffo
All Star

Post by the bare biffo »

I think your on the right track there LS.

Hyper
All Star

Post by Hyper »

LS, did you get down to Aughrim?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I didn't, I was sent to cover the Connor Cup Final. In one sense I was sorry I missed it, but not getting mileage and Aughrim being a hell of a trip, I wasn't too despondent. My gut feeling was ye'd get another day anyway. I'll be there this Sunday all right.

If anyone else feels like throwing up a report feel free, I'm not trying to protect a monopoly here ...... :D