Leinster Senior Hurling Offaly V Galway

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

How Galway line put

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

I can't get confirmation of this but it seems Galway are making 2 changes to their forwards. Aonghus Callanan & Íarla Tannian will replace Andrew Smith (suspended) & Joe Gantley (dropped). Gantley had replaced Tannian for the Wexford match after Tannian had started the league final. Aidan Harte is selected to play having seemingly been a genuine injury doubt (as opposed to the long list of phantom injuries!).
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Re: Leinster Senior Hurling Offaly V Galway

Post by Offaly2010 »

Heres your confirmation POTH...

2 Changes for Galway
Date : 17/06/2010
There are 2 changes on the Galway team to play Offaly in the Leinster Senior Hurling Semi-final on Sunday At 4pm in Croke Park. Aonghus Callanan and Iarla Tannian come for Andy Smith & JoeGantley. Galway S.H. Team v Offaly

Colm Callanan

Damien Joyce
Shane Kavanagh
Ollie Canning

Donal Barry
Tony Og Regan
David Collins

Ger Farragher
David Burke

Damien Hayes
Cyril Donnellan
Aonghus Callanan

Aidan Harte
Joe Canning
Iarla Tannian

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

I do think Offaly could win this game, but I dont think they will.

I would try and change tactics, if offaly line up normally we will get wiped. I would try the cork tactic,Put Joe Brady full forward, hit high ball in on top of him, have shane dooley as the only other player on the full forward line to run onto the breaks. Have Brian Carroll as the extra midfielder to hopefully crowd out midfield and stop a good supply of ball going into Joe Canning. Another thing, we cannot start Paul Cleary full back, if that means moving David Kenny back to full back then so be it, no point in him clearing ten balls whilst Joe Canning is scoring 4 goals!!! If we can stop Joe Canning, stop giving away stupid frees, change the game up front with different tactics we would have a chance in this one. Of Course the first thing that is required is 100% commitment, 100% determination and 100% hard work.

Do I think its going to happen?? No, The Offaly management dont seem to want to even experiment with tactics, and some of their selections havent been great. Some players have clearly gone backwards since joining the panel which is disturbing.

old yellar
All Star

Post by old yellar »

tactics? jayus i dunno.. what will happen if the one player ye have who d make most teams, shane doley, gets injured.. crowd the defence anyhow. stick kenny on jc, saw him do it before, and tell him to do nout only hurl him..

BUFFALO
County player

Post by BUFFALO »

ballinamereman1 wrote:for all ye men who cant make it.. the match is being streamed by rte..
Happy Days.
For the last game I was listening to Gerry Russell on delayed Radio3 coverage online,and when the game entered extra-time I receieved the result via text from home 10 minutes before it happened(well according to Gerry at the very least),which was like entering a space-time continuim.A veritable vortex if you will.
Owing to the fact that I've made haste for that London,I'll be taking advantage of every meeja outlet available to me,so the RTE streaming shall be most welcome.
Jaysis boys,I've followed my county through thick and thin,but this is an encounter that I will seriously regret not being able to attend.
For some unfounded reason I do believe that we have a fighting chance,and like the '00 semi-final agin' Cork,I do believe that I will eternally regert missing it.
Uibh Fhaili abu agus Allez Lez Faithful!
If the unthinkable should happen then I envisage an impromptu visit home is in the offing.
Esto Fidelis!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

I'd start with a forward six of

10 - Hayden
11 - Healion
12 - Molloy
13- Carroll
14 - Bergin
15 - Dooley

Leave Bergin and Dooley close to goals, pull back the half forward line, withdraw Carroll to the space between the full and half forward lines.
I'd try to get Carroll operating like Joe Deane used to do with Cork. Where the rest of the forwards would pull away to create space. The ball use to be popped out in front of him and he'd come out and collect it. A forward doesn't need to bullet fast if his movement and the supply is intelligent.

It might give Offaly another option, rather than "driving it" at Bergin and Dooley all day.

I'd try Healion at CF also. He poses a bigger running threat than Brady. If he gets the ball in hand, he is the more likely to get moving in the direction of the Galway goal. Potentially drawing in defenders and creating space for other forwards. Joe Brady will hurl toe-to-toe with his man and not spare timber. His compass is a little 3 directional though. He is more likely to go back ways or sideways than forward with possession.

Remember that the player looking to turn and race at goal wins frees. The slower player who starts wriggling around to clear space to play it gets no sympathy from refs.

Hayden at wing forward would be Joe Dooley's tactical master stroke. Having not played him here all year, Galway will be caught out by this move!

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

Offaly must throw caution to the wind for Galway

Published Date: 18 June 2010
AFTER being raging red hot favourites to dispose of Antrim in the quarter-final, Offaly find them-selves in a more accustomed under-dogs role as they prepare to face Galway in the provincial SHC semi-final at Croke Park (throw-in 4pm).
Joe Dooley's charges should relish being written off and while it will be Offaly's first championship assignment in GAA headquarters since 2005, when ironically they were managed by current Galway manager John McIntyre, this shouldn't prevent them from giving it a right good lash.

In '05 Offaly suffered a humiliating Leinster SHC loss against Kilkenny and in July of that year they clung on to their Liam McCarthy Cup championship status with a win over Antrim.

Intriguingly if Offaly do manage to stun Galway and qualify for a first Leinster SHC Final appearance since they lost to Wexford in 2004, they'll have done so without beating a county geographically situated in the eastern province!

Last Sunday, Offaly endured a 0-16 to 3-22 challenge game defeat against Cork and hopefully this isn't an indication of what is to come as in the NHL final the 'Rebels' were well beaten by Galway.

The Galway men already have two trophies on the sideboard for their 2010 efforts – the Walsh Cup and NHL trophy – and they are keen to capture further silverware.

They defeated Denis Walsh's Cork in the NHL Division 1 showdown at Semple Stadium by 2-22 to 1-17 and that was despite hitting 17 wides.

It was Galway's first league crown since 2004, their ninth in all and it has given the 'Tribesmen' plenty of confidence as they bid for a first All-Ireland success since 1988.

Interestingly, en-route to securing the Liam McCarthy Cup twenty-two years ago, Galway defeated Offaly in the All-Ireland semi-final.

The Portumna duo of Joe Canning and Damien Hayes bagged the Galway goals and if Offaly are to advance, then they'll have to keep a tight rein on these two.

Canning wasn't on free taking duty against the 'Rebels' yet he tallied 1-5 and he is going to be a serious handful on the fringe of the square for David Kenny or Paul Cleary and net-minder James Dempsey.

Mid-fielder Ger Farragher, who notched 0-6 (including four frees & one '65) in the NHL final, was also in the high notes against Wexford in the Leinster quarter-final as he registered 0-13 during their comprehensive 2-22 to 1-14 victory.

Joe Canning and sub Kevin Hynes were the Galway goal scorers in a game where Galway hit a huge tally of wides and they were dealt a body blow during the second half with the dismissal of Andy Smith.

Galway supremo John McIntyre subsequently called for the straight red to be rescinded but this was unsuccessful meaning Smith is unavailable for Sunday. Two Wexford players also saw red – David Redmond (for a second yellow card offence) and Diarmuid 'Gizzie' Lyng.

McIntyre and his selectors blooded four debut boys during the win over Division 2 NHL champions Wexford. Donal Barry (right half back), David Burke (mid-field) and corner forwards Aidan Harte and Joe Gantley got their first taste of championship action on May 29.

Harte (who scored 1-3 against Offaly in the NHL) is considered a major doubt for Sunday after he suffered a hip injury while on duty with Gort in the Galway SHC the weekend prior to last.

He is believed to be Galway's chief injury concern, although Kevin Hayes (hamstring) and defender Conor Dervan (broken thumb) are definitely ruled out. Hayes and Dervan weren't in Galway's starting XV for the NHL final or the provincial quarter-final against Wexford.

McIntyre is beating the 'injury concern drum' loudly in recent days lamenting the injuries to Harte, Hayes and Dervan.

And he has also been suggesting that Ger Farragher, Eoin Lynch, Tony Og Regan, Niall Hayes, Damien Joyce and Damien Hayes are carrying knocks that restricted their participation in training.

Galway appear to have found a dependable 'keeper in Colm Callanan and he produced a terrific penalty stop in the league decider and against Wexford, his acrobatic reflex save which denied Rory Jacob was a vital intervention.

Shane Kavanagh, Tony Og Regan and David Collins are big, strong, physically imposing men in the Galway rearguard and they won't concede much in the air.

And indeed if Offaly don't devise some sort of plan to avoid dropping puck-outs down on top of Donal Barry, Og Regan and Collins, then the half forward line, just as they were against Antrim, will be obliterated.

Offaly's inability to win primary possession was a serious deficiency against the 'Glensmen' and this needs to be rectified, whether it is Ger Healion, Joe Brady or maybe even Rory Hanniffy at centre forward.

Arguably Galway's most celebrated defender of recent years is Ollie Canning and the 33-year-old who has four All Star awards to his credit, brings plenty of experience to their defensive unit and if he is allowed mop up unchallenged Offaly won't win.Two attackers the 'Faithful' will be looking to lead the charge are Shane Dooley and Joe Bergin, and if they spend as much time languishing behind their markers as they did against Antrim, then Kavanagh, Canning and Damien Joyce will be in for a relatively comfortable afternoon.

When Dooley and Bergin are out in front and with a smart first touch, they've the ability to destroy defences and hopefully they are on song on Sunday.

Offaly may also utilise the pace of Odhran Kealey to mix things up a bit. The young and skilful Kinnitty attacker showed what he is capable of during his brief appearance against Antrim and no doubt he'd have figured more during the NHL but for the injury he sustained against DIT in the Walsh Cup.

Galway, while they mightn't admit it readily, have obviously been monitoring closely the type of players that Kilkenny and Tipperary are moulding into key personnel and their half forward division is laden with workers as opposed to renowned score getters.

Cyril Donnellan, more than anyone else, epitomises this. The centre forward will throw his body in where others would think twice about sticking in a hurley.

The suspended Andy Smith is a similar type of player and Galway's tactic is simple - crowd the mid-field area, gather primary possession, hold it and deliver it in as quickly as possible to Big Joe.

Offaly must suffocate this supply channel if they are to have any chance of upsetting the odds.

Galway will be looking to Joe Canning, Damien Hayes and Ger Farragher for the bulk of their scores, and while Joe Gantley, Aidan Harte and Iarla Tannian are good players, they are still finding their feet and they are players are capable of being curtailed on any given day.

After requiring extra-time to see off Antrim and suffering a 3-22 to 0-16 challenge match defeat as recently as last Sunday against Cork in Pairc Ui Chaoimh isn't the type of form that suggests Offaly are on the brink of stunning the 'Tribesmen'.

Conversely, with expectations so low and the pressure off, the 'Faithful' should be able to hurl with abandon and throw caution to the wind.

Traditionally, Offaly have never feared Galway in championship hurling and there is no reason why it shouldn't be any different when they square up to each other for the first time since the 1994 All-Ireland semi-final.

Offaly in the right frame of mind and performing to their optimum can trouble Galway however if they bring anything less than the aforementioned to the table, it could be a return to Croker to forget.

While they are far removed from championship fare, Offaly did put it up to Galway for prolonged spells during the Walsh Cup and NHL earlier this year and these spirited performances should provide the management and players with heart and encouragement.

In Parnell Park, Offaly were fancied to win easily and that burden weighed heavily on their shoulders. They under-performed and but for the heroics of James Dempsey and Shane Dooley in normal, and reintroduced captain Brian Carroll extra-time, they'd already be in the All-Ireland qualifiers.

Something that Offaly haven't been given enough credit for is that they battled back from five points down and with 14-men (following the dismissal of Derek Molloy) to secure the draw. They showed character in the face of adversity and if things begin to go wrong against Galway it is important that heads don't drop.

With the likes of Ger Farragher and Joe Canning in the opposition, it is vital that Offaly don't concede frees cheaply.

There are at least three Offaly players that are consistent offenders when it comes to giving away silly frees and they'll have to be disciplined. If not, then Farragher and Canning will enjoy a score-fest from an array of angles and distances.

James Dempsey, just as he was against Antrim and Kilkenny (in the U-21 horror show), will be brave between the posts and the men in front of him need to be mean and tenacious.

David Franks (who worryingly picked up an injury against Cork) and James Rigney will need to be on top of their games and major improvements will be required from Paul Cleary, Derek Morkan and Michael Verney.

How Offaly line out from eight on isn't altogether clear. Kevin Brady is likely to begin at mid-field with one of Rory Hanniffy or Brendan Murphy alongside him.

Murphy, who didn't play in the Walsh Cup or NHL due to a back injury, lasted the pace well when he was sprung against Antrim and he'll have a big role to play. Dylan Hayden also performed well after he was introduced in the quarter-final and it was somewhat surprising that he was omitted from the starting line up that faced Cork, yet that may be no indicator whatsoever as to what Joe Dooley and his selectors have in mind for Galway.

The attacking formation will include Hanniffy or Murphy, along with Shane Dooley, Brian Carroll and Joe Bergin. It seems Odhran Kealey, Derek Molloy, Ger Healion, Joe Brady and Daniel Currams will be fighting it out for the remaining two places.

The inconsistency that has dogged Offaly forwards for the past number of years surfaced again during the Antrim game and if they are to slip past Galway, at least four of the starting sextet will have to step up to the plate and deliver the goods.

If Galway are the serious All-Ireland contenders that some would like you to believe, then they should be capable of winning by more than seven points.

Question marks still hang over their credentials and no doubt Offaly will be hoping the 'Tribesmen' will have their eyes slightly off the ball and thinking ahead to a potential Leinster Final clash against Brian Cody's Kilkenny (who of course, have firstly to negotiate the challenge of Anthony Daly's Dublin).

On the evidence of what we've witnessed in the NHL and the championship to-date the best we can probably expect from Offaly is for them to be fiercely competitive for as long as they can possibly and after an honourable loss, make some progress in the qualifiers.

However, hope springs eternal and if Offaly hurl out of their skins and Galway underperform, then maybe there'll be a welcome shock!

It is unlikely but in sport you just never know – ask red faced Rob Green and the English soccer squad...

bazza
All Star

Post by bazza »

for all ye men who cant make it.. the match is being streamed by rte..
I'm fair confused.. Is the game being shown live on RTE Televison or on the internet? If someone could let me know it would be greatly appreciated!

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

bazza wrote:
for all ye men who cant make it.. the match is being streamed by rte..
I'm fair confused.. Is the game being shown live on RTE Televison or on the internet? If someone could let me know it would be greatly appreciated!
Its on the INTERNET but not television.

bazza
All Star

Post by bazza »

Its on the INTERNET but not television.
Cheers.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Offaly2010 wrote:Heres your confirmation POTH...

2 Changes for Galway
There are 2 changes on the Galway team to play Offaly in the Leinster Senior Hurling Semi-final on Sunday At 4pm in Croke Park. Aonghus Callanan and Iarla Tannian come for Andy Smith & JoeGantley. Galway S.H. Team v Offaly

Colm Callanan

Damien Joyce
Shane Kavanagh
Ollie Canning

Donal Barry
Tony Og Regan
David Collins

Ger Farragher
David Burke

Damien Hayes
Cyril Donnellan
Aonghus Callanan

Aidan Harte
Joe Canning
Iarla Tannian
Right. There are weaknesses in this lineup. We've discussed our own lads long enough....this Galway side has passengers as well.

Cyril Donnellan Likes to think of himself as the hardman of the team. Anyone in Salthill earlier this year for the league game will remember the dirty hits he puts in long after the ball is gone. Whoever ends up on him must keep a cool head and not retaliate. Donnellan is Galways most likely player to be sent off.

Damien Joyce is no good. You'll never see him hook, block or disposess an opponent. He'll pick scraps and clear them but nothing more. This is why Offaly cannot afford to be playing anything other than 3 men in the full forward line. No point leaving Joyce in there on his own collecting ball. This guy can easily be exposed.

Callanan and Tannion are not great hurlers at all. Stick tight to them and DO NOT FOUL. Force them into shots and it won't take long to see their limitations.

Media are talking about McIntyre and his knowledge of Offaly. Lets get this straight........here is a man who has failed throughout most of his career. He was the man at the helm for the 30 odd point defeat to Kilkenny, the league defeat to Carlow etc. The current momentum that Galway have is down to the momentum of Portumna and has nothing to do with McIntyre. Long term he will fail with Galway as he knows no other way!

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

No fear!

No fade!

Apply skeer at 60 minutes or thereabouts.

At that point its in God's hands...

COME ON OFFALY!!!!!!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

bracknaghboy wrote:
Offaly2010 wrote:Heres your confirmation POTH...

2 Changes for Galway

Colm Callanan

Damien Joyce
Shane Kavanagh
Ollie Canning

Donal Barry
Tony Og Regan
David Collins

Ger Farragher
David Burke

Damien Hayes
Cyril Donnellan
Aonghus Callanan

Aidan Harte
Joe Canning
Iarla Tannian
Right. There are weaknesses in this lineup. We've discussed our own lads long enough....this Galway side has passengers as well.

Cyril Donnellan Likes to think of himself as the hardman of the team. Anyone in Salthill earlier this year for the league game will remember the dirty hits he puts in long after the ball is gone. Whoever ends up on him must keep a cool head and not retaliate. Donnellan is Galways most likely player to be sent off.

Damien Joyce is no good. You'll never see him hook, block or disposess an opponent. He'll pick scraps and clear them but nothing more. This is why Offaly cannot afford to be playing anything other than 3 men in the full forward line. No point leaving Joyce in there on his own collecting ball. This guy can easily be exposed.

Callanan and Tannion are not great hurlers at all. Stick tight to them and DO NOT FOUL. Force them into shots and it won't take long to see their limitations.

Media are talking about McIntyre and his knowledge of Offaly. Lets get this straight........here is a man who has failed throughout most of his career. He was the man at the helm for the 30 odd point defeat to Kilkenny, the league defeat to Carlow etc. The current momentum that Galway have is down to the momentum of Portumna and has nothing to do with McIntyre. Long term he will fail with Galway as he knows no other way!
Plenty of positives from bracknaghboy's post from an Offaly perspective!
That post has given me plenty of reason to travel up on Sunday with a lot more belief that we can actually win this one!
Cheers bracknaghboy :D
Allez Les Faithful!

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

Leinster GAA Hurling Senior Championship – Semi-Final
Sunday 20th June 2010
Croke Park: Galway v Offaly, 4pm

It is 11 years since Galway last played in a provincial final.

As we know, though, statistics without any context can convince us of almost anything and that fact is rather misleading as 1999 was the last year that Roscommon gave the Tribesmen a game in Connacht.

The 4-26 to 2-8 victory was, for now, the final nail in the coffin of the Connacht Hurling Senior Championship and, until last year, Galway had to make do with going into the All-Ireland series cold.

Their admission, along with Antrim, into Leinster on a trial basis has given them an opportunity for competitive games though and this year is seen as a big one in them establishing their credentials.

Last year, they ran Kilkenny close in the semi-final (closer than any other team that played them all year) but then, perhaps surprisingly, fell to Waterford in the All-Ireland quarter-finals.

Once the draw for 2010 was made in October and it kept Kilkenny and Galway apart, however, there has been a general expectation that those two would meet in the Leinster final.

Such talk will no doubt suit Offaly, who come into this game as outsiders, having needed extra time to get past Antrim in their quarter-final, a late Shane Dooley free required to force the additional 20 minutes.

The Faithful County warmed up for Sunday’s semi-final by travelling to Cork for a challenge match last weekend and lost by 3-22 to 0-16, leaving manager Joe Dooley knowing that things will have to be upped a notch to beat Galway.

“We’ll have to improve an awful lot if we’re going to have any chance against Galway, that performance wouldn’t do anyway,” he said after that loss.

“A game like this is good to know where you’re are, and we know where we’re at now and it’s not a good place.”

Dooley, as ever, will be the main scoring threat, from both play and placed balls, but Kevin Brady and Brian Carroll are more than capable of weighing in with scores of their own.

Of course, the task of stopping Joe Canning will be paramount to any ambitions Offaly have and that job is likely to be given to Paul Cleary at full-back. Curtailing Canning goes some way to curtailing Galway, but as yet, few have managed to keep close enough tabs on him.

The Portumna man is not the only threat that John McIntyre’s side possess however. Damien Hayes, Cyril Donnellan and Iarla Tannian are all capable of contributing up front and at the back Ollie Canning shows no signs of ageing.

One fear that Galway might have is that, in their previous game against Wexford, they allowed the Model County back into the game and it took a wonderful save from goalkeeper Colm Callanan to deny Rory Jacob a levelling goal in the second half before Galway pulled away again.

If they can stop themselves from letting their concentration drop, Galway should have enough to advance, but Offaly are a side never to be written off, regardless of the situation.

esb_lad
Junior A
Club: Rynaghs

Post by esb_lad »

Headin up myself with the young lad.. Doesnt look like we'll have much support but nothin new in that perspective... im going more in hope than belief, not on the offaly performance, but that them feckin vuvuzelas wont be blowin our heads off :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: