Leinster U-21 Hurling Championship Kilkenny vs Offaly

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Leinster U-21 Hurling Championship Kilkenny vs Offaly

Post by Offaly2010 »

Well lads the team has been named for tomorrow nights showdown with The Cats in Nowlan Park:

1.James Dempsey(Kinnity)
2.Christopher Guinan(K/K)
3.Eanna Murphy(Seir Keiran)
4.Brian Coughlan(Kinnity)
5.Colin Egan(Belmont)
6.Stephen Wynne(St Ryanaghs) (capt.)
7.Barry Harding(Birr)
8.Derek Morkan(Shinrone)
9.Bryan Lonergan(Birr)
10.James Mulrooney(Seir Keiran)
11.Daniel Currams(K/K)
12.Dermot Gath(Drumcullen)
13.Thomas Carroll(Seir Keiran)
14.Mark Egan(Belmont)
15.Thomas Spain(Brosna Gaels)

alltheway
Intermediate

Re: Leinster U-21 Hurling Championship Kilkenny vs Offaly

Post by alltheway »

Team that lines out to start:

James Dempsey
Brian Coughlan
Stephen Wynne
Christopher Guinan
Barry Harding
Eanna Murphy
Del Morkan
Colin Egan
James Mulrooney
Daniel Currams
Bryan Lonergan
Dermot Gath
Mark Egan
Thomas Carroll
Thomas Spain

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

alltheway wrote:Team that lines out to start:

James Dempsey
Brian Coughlan
Stephen Wynne
Christopher Guinan
Barry Harding
Eanna Murphy
Del Morkan
Colin Egan
James Mulrooney
Daniel Currams
Bryan Lonergan
Dermot Gath
Mark Egan
Thomas Carroll
Thomas Spain
Is that how we are actually going to line out or just an estimate?

alltheway
Intermediate

Post by alltheway »

That's how they will line out. Not a bad team, should be in with a great shout. A lot of lads well blooded at this level and some with senior panel/team experience.
I'd be travelling wednesday with great optimism of getting a positive result. It's high time we believed and start beating Kilkenny and the likes at this level as we have proven ourselves worthy at this particular level the last few years.

bazza
All Star

Post by bazza »

Anyone know the subs list for the game?

Offaly2010
All Star

Post by Offaly2010 »

bazza wrote:Anyone know the subs list for the game?
No sorry bazza only starting 15 is named on Offaly website.

allstar2010
All Star

Post by allstar2010 »

Thats not a bad team at all, we should have every reason to be a positive heading down for this one. Bit unfair though that we have to go down to Nowlan park for the second year in a row, remember last year we threw away a great chance of beating them. Anyway, it would be a great boost for the county if we could pull off a victory. It seems to be a very strong backline, hopefully our forwards can do the business up front, we'd want the likes of currams, egan and mulrooney to be on fire. I think, from previous posts Leinsterman was following them at challenge matches, how have they been playing recently, did they play clare last week?

backofthenet
All Star

Post by backofthenet »

This may sound a bit bitter....but can anyone explain to me how there is not one player from Coolderry on the starting 15 even though they are in the U 21 final after drawing with Clareen twice??? Just doesnt make sense that there wouldnt be at least one player worthy of a start.

Team looks ok, wouldnt be getting carried away saying that they have a great chance as Offaly have found it extremely difficult to beat KK at underage level and especially when travelling the whole way to Nowlan Park

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

The best of luck to the lads.

Ne'er a word from Kilkenny who seem to be fierce quiet altogether. Paul Murphy, Mark Bergin & Colin Fennelly were minor 3 years ago.

There is a concern though. From the above posts and from the Offaly Express site, it appears there’s a plan regarding a dummy team. A pity that couldn’t be kept under wraps until the start of the match. 400 years on and the lessons of the Battle of Kinsale still haven’t been learned.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

kinnittyman
All Star

Post by kinnittyman »

backofthenet wrote:This may sound a bit bitter....but can anyone explain to me how there is not one player from Coolderry on the starting 15 even though they are in the U 21 final after drawing with Clareen twice??? Just doesnt make sense that there wouldnt be at least one player worthy of a start.
The standard of club u21 hurling in Offaly isn't exactly wonderful so having finalists doesn't exactly mean you should have a player on the county 15. Better for the county team to have a big spread of clubs rather than focusing on teams who got to latter stages of championship. So ya you do sound bitter to be honest. County teams should never be about what club a guy comes from and we could do with taking that on board in Offaly in a big way. Too many people have that attitude. Club is Club, County is County.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

Kilkenny line out as follows:-

Kilkenny:- Colin McGrath (Muckalee); Alan Cuddihy (Ballyhale), Conor Fogarty (Castlecomer), Richard Doyle (Paulstown); PJ Rowe (Mooncoin), Kieran Mooney (Conahy) and David Langton (Clara); Paul Murphy (Danesfort); Colin Fennelly (Ballyhale), Mark Bergin (O’Loughlins), JJ Dunphy (Dunnamaggin), Liam Ryan (Clara); Eoin Murphy (Glenmore), Walter Walsh (Tullogher) and James Nolan (Clara).

McGrath, Fogarty, Langton, Paul Murphy, Fennelly, Bergin & Ryan survive from last year. Fogarty, Cuddihy, Doyle, Eoin Murphy (then in goal) & Walsh won the All-Ireland minor 2 years ago.

corner back
All Star

Post by corner back »

Plain of the Herbs wrote:

it appears there’s a plan regarding a dummy team. .
Ridiculous naming a dummy team at this level. Guarantee kilkenny will start as selected. In my opinion, the manager puts his team at a psychological disadvantage thinking that they'll have to trick Kilkenny to beat them. That Offaly team is good enough to win tomorrow as better hurlers, not because of their secret formation. Most of kilkenny will never have heard of most of the Offaly lads, and anyone who knows the players will realise that Colin Egan, for example, will not start right half back.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star

I don't have a problem with having a dummy team. My issue is that its existance has become common knowledge.
corner back wrote:Ridiculous naming a dummy team at this level. Guarantee kilkenny will start as selected. In my opinion, the manager puts his team at a psychological disadvantage thinking that they'll have to trick Kilkenny to beat them. That Offaly team is good enough to win tomorrow as better hurlers, not because of their secret formation. Most of kilkenny will never have heard of most of the Offaly lads, and anyone who knows the players will realise that Colin Egan, for example, will not start right half back.

tacmot
Senior

Post by tacmot »

kinnittyman ur been a bit unfair on backofthenet, i wudnt say dat he was been bitter twords other teams by saying what he said. If u wer at either match u wud have seen that the standard of hurling in the 2 U21 finals was of very good quality, also surely kevin connolly of coolderry wud walk onto dat team if he so wishes, top class hurler, i tink he didnt get involved as he is sittin his exams at the moment.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

tacmot wrote:kinnittyman ur been a bit unfair on backofthenet, i wudnt say dat he was been bitter twords other teams by saying what he said. If u wer at either match u wud have seen that the standard of hurling in the 2 U21 finals was of very good quality, also surely kevin connolly of coolderry wud walk onto dat team if he so wishes, top class hurler, i tink he didnt get involved as he is sittin his exams at the moment.
Seriously lad.
Could you not have written that in English?
You might have been making some good points, but I really couldn't be bothered translating it first.