Offaly Vs Meath this sunday

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
puremule
Junior C

Offaly Vs Meath this sunday

Post by puremule »

Well men,
Any word on what the team will be on Sunday? , heard Niall Mac is a major doubt not only for the match but for the year with a serios muscle strain.
Whatever slight chance we may have had with him I don't think we have any without him....

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Re: Offaly Vs Meath this sunday

Post by Offaly2010 »

puremule wrote:Well men,
Any word on what the team will be on Sunday? , heard Niall Mac is a major doubt not only for the match but for the year with a serios muscle strain.
Whatever slight chance we may have had with him I don't think we have any without him....
That is not good news at all. He didn't play against Kildare a fortnight ago but he was there and he was warming up and he looked like he was going to come on at one stage but he didn't.

I'm thinking of going to see them train in Gracefield tomorrow night to see how we're shaping up for Sunday.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Depleted Meath face defensive quandary

By Colm Keys

Tuesday May 18 2010

Meath have a potential defensive crisis on their hands, with the preferred choices for the two central positions both doubtful ahead of Sunday's Leinster Championship opener against Offaly in Portlaoise.

Cormac McGuinness, the team's centre-back for much of last year's championship, is almost certainly ruled out with a recurrence of a hamstring injury.

He played with his club, Navan O'Mahony's, over two weeks ago and aggravated an injury that seriously curtailed his involvement in the league.

Kevin Reilly, the probable choice for full-back, is also a worry after sustaining a hamstring injury in training over the weekend.

However manager Eamonn O'Brien insists that no firm decision will be made until Thursday night.

Reilly has played little football for Meath in the last two years because of a persistent back injury that eventually required surgery.

In his absence, Meath have struggled the fill the void at full-back, with Anthony Moyles providing a stop-gap solution for most of last season, and efforts to find a replacement not succeeding during the league. For the majority of league games, Niall McKeigue slotted in at No 3 but an acute hamstring injury has effectively ended his season.

O'Brien still hopes that Reilly can play a part. "We haven't ruled him out. We'll see at training tonight and finalise a decision later in the week," he said yesterday.

Jamie Queeney, who made an impact earlier in the season, and Brian Sheridan, man of the match for DCU in the Sigerson Cup final in February, are both ruled out because of ankle and hamstring injuries respectively.

Nigel Crawford is expected to be partnered by Mark Ward at midfield. Ward has regained some form after spending much of last season on the periphery.

Shane O'Rourke also looks set to start his first championship match since the 2007 All-Ireland semi final against Cork when he was just 19. The forward has been blighted by injury in the intervening seasons but has got a few games under his belt in the league.

Mindful

O'Brien was a selector to Sean Boylan when Offaly turned over the then All-Ireland champions a decade ago and is mindful of the difficulty they always present.

"Like ourselves they lost some league games narrowly and were probably unlucky not to be promoted," he said.

Offaly have no injury worries ahead of the fixture but manager Tom Cribbin does have concerns over the weekend confusion over the handpass rule and has urged a "common sense" approach from referees.

"Referees have to use a bit of cop-on. If guys are playing with the right intention and they're trying to make proper handpasses, they need to use common sense a bit more. If this continues, you wouldn't even watch the game on TV," he said.

Cribbin revealed that he has accepted an offer from Croke Park yesterday for a visit by a referee to their training session tonight to illustrate the 'dos and don'ts' of the controversial rule.

Offaly attacker David Egan has the cast off his foot after breaking a bone but is unlikely to be rushed into the action, while Niall McNamee has shaken off a knock to his thigh.

McNamee has been in superb form in the league and Cribbin feels that his presence generates confidence among those around him. "When we're on form we're buzzing," he said.

Cribbin took time out to watch Meath in a recent challenge against Galway and was taken by the size of the team that night at the pitch opening in Summerhill.

"They were tall and strong and even the players who came on that night were of the same stature," he noted.

"It's a very difficult test for us but we have experienced players back playing for us like Scott Brady who missed last year and that should help."

- Colm Keys

Hocker
All Star

Post by Hocker »

They'll beat us by at least 8-10 points........ Being totally realistic.
At 4/9 odds, if anyone has a spare 1k to back them, do!
Meath (-4) of a handicap will be the bet of the weekend @ 10/11 or evens.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Hocker wrote:They'll beat us by at least 8-10 points........ Being totally realistic.
At 4/9 odds, if anyone has a spare 1k to back them, do!
Meath (-4) of a handicap will be the bet of the weekend @ 10/11 or evens.
There's optimism if ever I saw it!

Daingean Exile
Junior A

Post by Daingean Exile »

Roy Malone was on Newstalk there this evening. He came across fairly well, I reckon he has a future in the pundit game. To sum up he said Offaly are up against it, but if they give them a good oul rattle and get the crowd behind them, sure ya never know.......

Keep the faith lads

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Daingean Exile wrote:Roy Malone was on Newstalk there this evening. He came across fairly well, I reckon he has a future in the pundit game. To sum up he said Offaly are up against it, but if they give them a good oul rattle and get the crowd behind them, sure ya never know.......
There will be no crowd behind Offaly Sunday as I'd expect a small enough faithful following to travel. Westmeath outnumbered us in Tullamore 2 years ago and with this game on TV we'll be outnumbered 3 to 1.
Offaly haven't won a championship game since 3 years ago against a poor Carlow team and I'd be shocked if Meath dont win this by around 5 or 6.
Theres a number of reasons Meath will win but Willie Bryan touched on one of the main reasons in the interview (a refreshingly honest interview by the way) on the Edenderry Website

"The spine of the team is still unknown. Who knows who will play against Meath. Players have to be established in their positions"

Sundays to be hot and fine so I'll head down to Portlaoise but i'll be going with even less expectation than for the Kildare game last year.

Daingean Exile
Junior A

Post by Daingean Exile »

[quote="bracknaghboy"

There will be no crowd behind Offaly Sunday as I'd expect a small enough faithful following to travel. Westmeath outnumbered us in Tullamore 2 years ago and with this game on TV we'll be outnumbered 3 to 1.
Offaly haven't won a championship game since 3 years ago against a poor Carlow team and I'd be shocked if Meath dont win this by around 5 or 6.
Theres a number of reasons Meath will win but Willie Bryan touched on one of the main reasons in the interview (a refreshingly honest interview by the way) on the Edenderry Website

"The spine of the team is still unknown. Who knows who will play against Meath. Players have to be established in their positions"

Sundays to be hot and fine so I'll head down to Portlaoise but i'll be going with even less expectation than for the Kildare game last year.[/quote]

I'll be heading up there myself. I was in Tullamore a couple of years ago and didn't understand why there was more Westmeath than Offaly supporters in O'Connor Park. Don't know what the crowd will be like but I hope the team will perform better than they did against Westmeath in summer '08.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Roy Malone was on Newstalk there this evening
anyone out there got a link to a podcast of this?
If you don’t stand for something you fall for anything

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Preview in the Meath Chronicle

One step at a time for Meath

Offaly challenge can be negotiated

Hope springs eternal for Meath, but since 2001 the quest for a return to a Leinster SFC final continues to falter. Next Sunday at Portlaoise the journey begins again, this time against Offaly.

Three steps have to be negotiated on the way to the promised land of a provincial final and a guaranteed place in the last round of All-Ireland SFC qualifiers, at least, but individually each of those steps would represent a giant leap.

The first major obstacle will be provided by the considerable threat of Offaly. The days of the Faithful's best may be far behind them, but Meath are hardly riding the crest of a wave after a humbling and sometimes humiliating league campaign.

Offaly will take heart from the Royal County's awful NFL Div 2 performances against Tipperary, Down and Westmeath during spring and as the summer buds emerge they will be confident of blooming causing Meath to wilt.

Tom Cribben's side will wear the underdogs tag, but only because of the contrasting fortunes of the two counties in 2009. Meath lost out at the first hurdle in Leinster to Dublin by just two points, 0-12 to 0-14 before embarking on an exciting run through the qualifiers to the All-Ireland semi-final.

Offaly were humbled 1-10 to 1-16 by a Kildare side that had struggled up to that point and then in the qualifiers Cribben's men were edged out by a dreadful Wexford side (0-16 to 2-11) that lost to Roscommon after a replay in the following round.

That form suggests an easy ride for Meath, but anything less that 100 per cent commitment, hunger, determination and effort will undoubtedly result in another early exit from the provincial race for the Royals.

Offaly will rely heavily on their greatest asset, Niall McNamee. The outstandingly talented forward is one of the best in the business and if he is afforded time and space then he will do a lot of damage.

Meath will need to be fully aware of his threat because if several of McNamee's colleagues can raise their game then Meath might be caught on the hop, just as they have been on one or two occasions in the not too distant past.

Their 50/1 odds to win Leinster and 300/1 price for All-Ireland glory paint a clearer picture of Offaly's chances, but odds and formbooks count for nothing in the white heat of championship. Can Meath be realistically priced at 13/2 for Leinster, 33/1 for Sam?

While last year's form can be used as a reflection of how the teams fared in the championship, Offaly's results were on the back of managerial upheaval and while it was also Eamonn O'Brien's first year in charge there wasn't the same turmoil.

Offaly will be a strong proposition this year. They lost four of their seven NFL Div 3 games, but did manage to score a 1-9 to 1-8 victory over Antrim, who were promoted. There were also wins over Fermanagh and Roscommon, but it was the losses to Wexford (again), Sligo, Cavan and Louth that will cause concern and give Meath hope.

On individual talent there can only be one outcome, a comfortable Meath victory. However, team games are not won by individuals nor are they won on paper and so it will be the side that plays with the greater unity and commitment that will succeed.

Meath have been hampered by injuries. Niall McKeigue and David Bray were two certain starters that will miss the season. Jamie Queeney and Cormac McGuinness are others who could have reasonably been expected to feature, but are likely to miss out because of injury.

Throw in doubts over the fitness of Ollie Lewis and a few others with niggling problems and manager O'Brien could has a limited hand.

The return from injury of Kevin Reilly is a major boost, but he hasn't featured for the county team since a late cameo against Kerry in last year's All-Ireland SFC semi-final.

His lack of match time may be a problem, but the O'Mahonys man is such an outstanding talent and athlete that he should be able to fit back in without missing a step.

Despite the injuries, O'Brien and his selectors will have several good dilemmas to deal with. The form of Bryan Menton in recent challenges has thrown the cat amongst the defensive pigeons and he must be considered.

Chris O'Connor, Davy Dalton, Eoghan Harrington and Shane McAnarney will battle for the two corner-back positions while Michael Burke, Anthony Moyles, Gary O'Brien, Caoimhin King, Graham Reilly, Seamus Kenny and James Macken can all be considered for the half-back line.

The return from suspension of Brian Meade will give O'Brien a selection headache between the Rathkenny man, Summerhill's Conor Gillespie or the man most likely to get the nod to partner captain Nigel Crawford at midfield, Mark Ward.

The utility of Reilly and Kenny gives O'Brien options to deploy one or both of them in the half-forward line either side of vice-captain Joe Sheridan, with Peadar Byrne also to be considered. With Niall Mooney doing well in recent games and Stephen Bray operating better when give a role on the '45,' O'Brien will again have plenty to think about.

The full-forward line could pick itself with Shane O'Rourke likely to be flanked by Cian Ward and probably Brian Farrell, if Bray is utilised further out the field.

Paddy O'Rourke will be the number one so it is clear that despite all the injury problems, O'Brien still has plenty of options.

Having all those options open to him might be the key to victory for O'Brien. If things aren't going according to plan the manager knows he has strength on his bench. Momentum is key to Meath's year. If they can get a couple of wins under their belt then a Leinster SFC final appearance is a realistic ambition, but one small step at a time must be taken, if giant leaps are to be made.

Probable team

Paddy O'Rourke; Chris O'Connor, Kevin Reilly, Eoghan Harrington; Seamus Kenny, Michael Burke, Anthony Moyles; Mark Ward, Nigel Crawford; Graham Reilly, Joe Sheridan, Peadar Byrne, Cian Ward, Shane O'Rourke, Stephen Bray.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

True Red wrote:
Roy Malone was on Newstalk there this evening
anyone out there got a link to a podcast of this?
Parkinson was on it as well and was not too complimentry about auld Miko :lol: :lol: :lol:

"LAOIS footballers have come out in a show of support for Mick O'Dwyer, following astonishing claims by their former colleague, Colm Parkinson, that the man who steered them to a first Leinster title for 57 years was "an absolute bluffer" and "an awful man manager."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic- ... 86667.html

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Shure the football genius that is Colm Parkinson knows more about football than Mick O'Dwyer. The Leinster Express article that stirred the pot is here: http://www.leinsterexpress.ie/gaelic-fo ... 6304005.jp
Parkinson was on it as well and was not too complimentry about auld Miko :lol: :lol: :lol:

"LAOIS footballers have come out in a show of support for Mick O'Dwyer, following astonishing claims by their former colleague, Colm Parkinson, that the man who steered them to a first Leinster title for 57 years was "an absolute bluffer" and "an awful man manager."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic- ... 86667.html
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star

Parkinson is definitely several bales short of a trailer load.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

With the match in Portlaoise I hope we're not subjected to a 'welcome to Portlaoise' article in the programme like we were last year. Remember this gem . . ?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2437
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Offaly2010
All Star
Club: Gracefield

Post by Offaly2010 »

I was in Gracefield tonight watching the lads in their last training session before Sunday's showdown with Meath.

It wasn't the heaviest of training sessions and was briefly interupted due to a heavy rain shower.

No real injury worries except David Egan who is just out of a cast,and Brian Darby pulled up during the session to do his own excercises but he should be fine for Sunday.

Niall McNamee began the session doing his own warm up and his own stretches but joined in with the rest of the team for the ball work. He has his thigh strapped but I'm almost certain he will start on Sunday.

Cribbin and the selectors had the squad in the dressing room for a good while before the session began. I guessed that maybe he was announcing the team but I'm not sure.

Anyway lads,we are going to be big underdogs on Sunday and not many people will be expecting us to win but you never know in sport and I'm hoping a decent Faithful crowd will travel the short distance to Portlaoise on Sunday and get behind the lads and if we are still in the game after 50 minutes,give them the believe and confidence to go that extra mile in the last 20 minutes!