u21 championship

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Mighty Pair O' Hands
All Star

u21 championship

Post by Mighty Pair O' Hands »

Given that the u-21 football championship consists mostly of amalgamated teams, it is a pity that it is given so little focus. With all the debate about the senior football squad for next year, the U -21 championship should be the perfect place to view the best up and coming players.

I know that at least four of the teams in this year's championship did not have a single training session before their first round game.

Any worth to giving a little holiday to the winning team or promoting it as unofficial senior county trials to get teams interested ?

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

I agree!!

The U-21 championship should be the prime talent-spotting competition with the profile of senior inter-county players getting younger.

One problem is that players of that age group often play for an adult club team, a college team, maybe an inter-county U-21 or senior team and maybe also the other code (hurling or football).

Another factor this year in the football competition is that St. Michaels (Cloghan/Rhode) are so strong.

Good post though!! It would be great if the Offaly U-21 championship competitions got some heavyweight sponsorship!!

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I'd say potential sponsors in Offaly have been milked dry - expecting them to get involved in a competition that is as low down the pecking order as this is optimistic in the extreme.

I'd have two comments - amalgations are all very well, but it's bloody hard find out who is who unless you're already in the know. These should be better publicised.

Secondly, the football is arseways completely. We have selectors for next years county under twenty one team - which is back in training gearing towards the spring - and they are looking at an under twenty one championship full of overage players!! If we must play the under twenty one at this time of year, it should be 2006 under 21 players.

Anyway, I'd say it's a grade that's on the way out one way or another. Minor will be under 19 and under 21 abolished within five years I reckon.