Offaly v Kilkenny N H L 28/02/2010

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
leinsterman
All Star

Offaly v Kilkenny N H L 28/02/2010

Post by leinsterman »

Not looking foward to this match one bit, with kilkennys match called off with tipp
they will be hungary for hurling on sunday, there's no word on the offaly team yet
won't be to many change's on it. i know we done well in the first half last sunday but the black & amber are a different kettle of fish, they will try to put this game to bed in the first 20 mintue's, and you know the cats if they get a early goal they will get 3 or 4. our back's have been ok so far this year but sunday test will be alot
different from last sunday we have to big on the ball from the throw in. there's a few players will have to pull the finger out on sunday if we are not to suffer a bad
beating. if we die out of this match like last sundays last quater their will be 20 points in it that will leave us bottom of the table for the break. i can't see us wina asse's roar of the cat's on sunday if we keep it between 8 to 10 points we will be lucky. we just don't have the forward's to breakthrough to the top again in hurling
well have to go a give them a shout anyway on sunday, with my black & amber family with me up the faithful.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Re: Offaly v Kilkenny N H L

Post by Bord na Mona man »

No harm that Kilkenny haven't played yet. They might still be half thinking of Tipp and not fully focused. Also their first team hasn't played much together this year.

Unfortunately though you feel that 8 or 9 Kilkenny players could easily score in this game, whereas perhaps 5 Offaly players will score. Offaly don't have many candidates who can grab more than 2 points from play either.

The performance and the reaction to any setbacks is key. If a goal goes in, the heads hopefully won't drop. Neither should the next 3 or 4 attacks entail Offaly players futilely trying to walk the ball into the Kilkenny net, when easy points were for the taking.

Anything above a 16 point Offaly total would be a decent inning. Keeping Kilkenny below 21 points would probably be a decent defensive effort too.

I'd say Offaly will give this one a real good heave!
Last edited by Bord na Mona man on Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

I know I'm clutching at the shortest straw possible here but with KK not playing last Sunday it might just give us a slight edge in sharpness, in other words the beating might not be as severe as we all believe it will be. It really is the game from hell and I really hope a decent Offaly support turns up in Nowlan Park for this one although there is probably more hope of seeing pigs flying.
As a supporter I have great time for our hurlers, we never see the messing that constantly goes on with the footballers. The hurlers do their training, play their matches without any fuss or bother, they seem to be a more closely knit group than the footballers and I hope to god they don't end up with a real hammering on Sunday, all we are looking for is that the lads give their very best, leave nothing on the field and don't drop the heads when things start to go against them. Looking forward to seeing the starting 15.

Frank Mcguigan
Junior A

Post by Frank Mcguigan »

black and red exile wrote:I know I'm clutching at the shortest straw possible here but with KK not playing last Sunday it might just give us a slight edge in sharpness, in other words the beating might not be as severe as we all believe it will be. It really is the game from hell and I really hope a decent Offaly support turns up in Nowlan Park for this one although there is probably more hope of seeing pigs flying.
As a supporter I have great time for our hurlers, we never see the messing that constantly goes on with the footballers. The hurlers do their training, play their matches without any fuss or bother, they seem to be a more closely knit group than the footballers and I hope to god they don't end up with a real hammering on Sunday, all we are looking for is that the lads give their very best, leave nothing on the field and don't drop the heads when things start to go against them. Looking forward to seeing the starting 15.
Could not agree more.
I used to think it was great being a wee nippy corner forward, but it's better now being a big, fat one.

Plain of the Herbs
All Star
Club: Lusmagh

Post by Plain of the Herbs »

Folks, when ye're opening topics on a specific match would ye mind including the date of the match in the topic title. It makes it that bit easier find the thread for future reference. Thanks.
Pat Donegan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

Bord na Mona man
All Star
Club: Clara

Post by Bord na Mona man »

Frank Mcguigan wrote:
black and red exile wrote:I know I'm clutching at the shortest straw possible here but with KK not playing last Sunday it might just give us a slight edge in sharpness, in other words the beating might not be as severe as we all believe it will be. It really is the game from hell and I really hope a decent Offaly support turns up in Nowlan Park for this one although there is probably more hope of seeing pigs flying.
Could not agree more.
Less townies!

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Re: Offaly v Kilkenny NHL 28/2/10

Post by GreatDayForTheParish »

Team to play Kilkenny on Sunday:
1:Brian Mullins
2:Paul Cleary
3:David Kenny
4:Michael Verney
5:Diarmuid Horan
6:Eanna Murphy
7:Derek Morkan
8:James Rigney
9:Rory Hanniffy
10:Brian Carroll
11:Ger Healion
12:Conor Mahon
13:Shane Dooley
14:Derek Molloy
15:Cathal Parlon

Like last week it makes for interesting reading. Neither Oakley or Bergin played their best games last week so it makes sense at this time of year to give some other guys an opportuinity. Hayden can feel unfortunate to be left out, I'd like to see him given a cut at midfield. That said at least the changes made could work. They may fail miserably but at least they have potential. Sometimes in the league managers seem compelled to try players in crazy positions that you just know will never last until nor work in championship.

I didn't think Molloy would be fit this early and his lack of previous game time is a worry but it's good to have him back nonetheless. The sooner he's back at full tilt the better it is for Offaly, he's a vital player for this team. I really like what he brings on the wing, he's probably Offaly's best player under the puck out but he has the game for full so we'll see.

Murphy got 'lots of it' against Galway in the Walsh Cup but despite his very young age there is no denying his talent. He's worth a try at centre back but I'm unsure as to whether this is the correct stage. To throw a such a young inexperienced player in against the THAT forward line is to put it mildly, risky.
Good to have Mullins back too, there are few better shot-stoppers in the country.

With Verney at corner back, does anybody know what the story is with Wynne and Egan, are they fit?

Finally, here's hoping that Horan and Rigney switch before throw in.
Last edited by GreatDayForTheParish on Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

Lads theres no point in being worried for the boys on Sunday or the players themselves fearing a big beating. This is where we want to be.....playing the All-Ireland champions in the league. Numerous threads last year alluded to the fact that playing in Division 2 was doing us no good and that we need top flight games to develope the team and give us a championship platform well here we are!! Yes a beating could be on the cards but look come April if we are bottom of the table then fair enough we have to accept that we are not good enough for D1. I have a suspicion that Dublin could well suffer "2nd season syndrome" similar to many football teams that do well in qualifiers the year before and regardless of what Limerick side we play a win against Dublin might be enough. BELIEVE!

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

black and red exile wrote:As a supporter I have great time for our hurlers, we never see the messing that constantly goes on with the footballers. The hurlers do their training, play their matches without any fuss or bother, they seem to be a more closely knit group than the footballers and I hope to god they don't end up with a real hammering on Sunday, all we are looking for is that the lads give their very best, leave nothing on the field and don't drop the heads when things start to go against them. Looking forward to seeing the starting 15.
Well said, I second that motion.

GreatDayForTheParish
All Star

Kilkenny for Sunday:
1:P. J. Ryan
2:Canice Hickey
3:Brian Hogan
4:John Dalton
5:Tommy Walsh
6:Jackie Tyrrell
7:J. J. Delaney
8:Willie O'Dwyer
9:P. J. Delaney
10:Richie Hogan
11:Michael Rice
12:Aidan Fogarty
13:Michael Grace
14:Richard Power
15:Eoin McGrath

black and red exile
All Star

Post by black and red exile »

No doubt there will be a difference of opinion with most of us on the team. I'm not surprised Oakley and Bergin are left on the bench, maybe this kick up the backside is just what Bergin especially needs. Verney is very loose at corner back and I think we will find that Cody will target this area as our weak spot in the full back line, Eanna Murphy is a great talent for the future but in my opinion is very raw for a game against this kind of opposition, hopefully it does not backfire drastically, it's hard to see Riggs starting at midfield and as Great day for the parish said he will probably swap with Diarmuid at the throw in, Derek Molloy at full forward makes sense due to his lack of sharpness but depending on how the game pans out we could see a switch with Ger Healion if the half forward line is cleaned out early.
After last week Joe Dooley had to change a few things around so fair play to him for being so brave with such an interesting selection, I guess we will know on Sunday evening whether fortune favours the brave or not.

leinsterman
All Star

Post by leinsterman »

GreatDayForTheParish wrote:Team to play Kilkenny on Sunday:
1:Brian Mullins
2:Paul Cleary
3:David Kenny
4:Michael Verney
5:Diarmuid Horan
6:Eanna Murphy
7:Derek Morkan
8:James Rigney
9:Rory Hanniffy
10:Brian Carroll
11:Ger Healion
12:Conor Mahon
13:Shane Dooley
14:Derek Molloy
15:Cathal Parlon

Like last week it makes for interesting reading. Neither Oakley or Bergin played their best games last week so it makes sense at this time of year to give some other guys an opportuinity. Hayden can feel unfortunate to be left out, I'd like to see him given a cut at midfield. That said at least the changes made could work. They may fail miserably but at least they have potential. Sometimes in the league managers seem compelled to try players in crazy positions that you just know will never last until nor work in championship.

I didn't think Molloy would be fit this early and his lack of previous game time is a worry but it's good to have him back nonetheless. The sooner he's back at full tilt the better it is for Offaly, he's a vital player for this team. I really like what he brings on the wing, he's probably Offaly's best player under the puck out but he has the game for full so we'll see.

Murphy got 'lots of it' against Galway in the Walsh Cup but despite his very young age there is no denying his talent. He's worth a try at centre back but I'm unsure as to whether this is the correct stage. To throw a such a young inexperienced player in against the THAT forward line is to put it mildly, risky.
Good to have Mullins back too, there are few better shot-stoppers in the country.

With Verney at corner back, does anybody know what the story is with Wynne and Egan, are they fit?

Finally, here's hoping that Horan and Rigney switch before throw in.
i take joe has threw in the towel for this one, or trying out player's because he musn't think we can win. Where i was sitting last sunday in the stand the best one of
the best player's we had was dylan hayden, joe bergin wasn't great but how brian carroll is on it before him beat's me jj delaney will have a field day. mick verney and Enna murphy come in to the back's young murphy has the making of a good hurler hope it goe's well for him, stephen Egan must be hurt is he or is he gone off the panel. mullins is back in goal i still think he is the best goalman in offaly. kk half
back line god were do you start tommy walsh, tyrrell and JJ its hard to see carroll
healion and mahon winning any ball there. jame's rigney is a find hurler but not at centrefield pj delaney is about 6 foot 4 micheal rice and dwyer will switch at the
throw in hope offaly put mahon out there we have no height out there, rory likes
to run with the ball or looking for the break's not a great man in the air. kk midfield
and their half back and full backline are great men to catch the leather in the sky
that's what make's them the team they are. its a big call bye joe leaving out two or
3 player's that should be on the team and two or four that should not be on it
sunday evening should tell the tale.

Kevin
All Star

Post by Kevin »

bracknaghboy wrote:Lads theres no point in being worried for the boys on Sunday or the players themselves fearing a big beating. This is where we want to be.....playing the All-Ireland champions in the league. Numerous threads last year alluded to the fact that playing in Division 2 was doing us no good and that we need top flight games to develope the team and give us a championship platform well here we are!! Yes a beating could be on the cards but look come April if we are bottom of the table then fair enough we have to accept that we are not good enough for D1. I have a suspicion that Dublin could well suffer "2nd season syndrome" similar to many football teams that do well in qualifiers the year before and regardless of what Limerick side we play a win against Dublin might be enough. BELIEVE!
Nail on head. Direct hit. We are playing well. The duty is with the players to do all in their power to win. No need to fear. If we are not victorious, hopefully we learn. Rome was not built in a day. Everybody thinks they can beat us in this division and we are probably thought by many to be the team going down. This is an advantage in a way because we are NOT going down. Let 'them' find out at the end of the league what 'we' already know. Onward!!!!
Kevin Clancey. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

bracknaghboy
All Star

Post by bracknaghboy »

One thing that is absolutely killing both our hurlers and footballers in the last few years is that managment simply do not seem to know where lads best positions are. For example, a couple of days before we played Kildare last year nobody had a clue who would be #s 3, 6, 8, 9, 11 & 14. Very few countites out there do not have a good idea who the spine of the team will be come championship. The hurlers are in the same boat and I think its getting worse. Joe Dooley is in his 3rd term as manager and now needs to decide roughly what the spine of this team will be. Surely he has seen enough of Joe Bergin to make a call on if he is a 6, 11, or 14 or whatever. I'm not saying I know where these guys are best placed but the manager should at this stage. Who is the best midfield pairing? Is Oakleys best position at 6 or should that be Kenny? Is Molloy going to be our full forward? Look I know teams are always missing players during the league and of course there will be experimentation but a time comes when players need to put a position and left there. Something tells me that we will still be no wiser towards the end of the league and the Antrim game who's going to play where. Its time for Joe to make calls and decide on a spine and leave them in place, and just because a player has an off game or two don't go moving lads about for the sake of it. More specifically in relation to tomorrow I think a win is beyond us but thats no reason not be excited about taking on the Cats, its games like this is why we wanted D1 hurling!

FAITHFUL
Junior C

Post by FAITHFUL »

Lets give it a chance.Every Offaly hurler that wears that jersey wants a win so lets go back with them. Lets hear the roar