Colour Clashes

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Colour Clashes

Post by Lone Shark »

What is the deal with so many colour clashes in championship matches this year? Sunday was another example of two teams playing in hugely similar colours, making life immensely difficult for spectators, not to mention half backs and midfielders trying to identify corner forwards making a break out no doubt. It’s not like teams are only getting to the game and realising that there’s a clash, and yet preparations never seem to have been made.

At the Lusmagh vs Shamrocks game, it was almost farcical, as both teams changed out of their own red colours into Offaly first and second colours, meaning that they changed out of clashing colours into clashing colours. Coolderry vs Belmont was heavy on the green on both sides, though not as bad as last Sunday’s game when all green played all green.

Surely either two colour changes or a toss of a coin in advance is the way to go there? It’s not like no-one saw it coming?

mykneehurts
County player

Post by mykneehurts »

Whatever about teams you have to wonder about a referee who decides to wear a black jersey while refereeing the under 21 match between Ferbane and Gracefield.

ballymanabroad
All Star

Post by ballymanabroad »

Yeah I agree. Why do so many clubs have only one choice of club strip? Playing for Ballycumber I have lined out in saffron and blue, all blue and white with saffron trim. I can only remember Edenderry playing in an alternate strip.
It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe - Muhammad Ali

duboffaly
Junior A

Post by duboffaly »

Rynaghs the fekkers made walsh island change from the green and white, wven tho they could have wore the hurling jerseys (and did in the end). Walsh island had to wear braknagh for the semi and st broughans for the final... I think that was the turning point really! NOT!

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

I can understand that one team won't want to be seen to cede advantage to another, and as a result you get situations like the intermediate final. For example in what could easily have been a very close game, even if it didn't work out that way, one misplaced pass could have led to a decisive score.

However at least there it seemed that both teams were ready for the clash, which is all you'd ask.

It should be a basic consideration when fixtures are being drawn up though. Either a coin toss or both teams change, depending on what the teams agree on. Sunday did my head in to be honest.

The Biff
All Star

Colour Clash

Post by The Biff »

Asking both teams to change strip runs the risk that the two changed strips might themselves clash.

I think its only because most teams dont use their changed strip (if they even have one) much that there might be a sense of "bad luck" about using it. So they should just use it more deliberately, even when the main strip might not clash but the changed strip might be more clear. There's always the chance to be a bit more modern and/or creative with your second strip, freed from the restrictions of the Club's Traditions.

Anyway, when each fixture is confirmed, that is the time to decide on the need for ONE team to change. Either have a standard rule that the second-named team (kinda like the "Away" team) is always the one to change, or else the Fixtures Committee tosses a coin to decide.

Last suggestion - designate our County Colours as the standard Changed Strip for ALL clubs. Then you might even have clubs asking for the chance to change.

Treasurer
All Star

Colour Clash

Post by Treasurer »

I'm pretty sure that as it stands, it's the referee's call and BOTH teams should changed.

It was ridiculous on Sunday that it wasn't sorted out beforehand, especially considering they'd already met in the group stages and the same problem had been highlighted.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

No good waiting for the ref to highlight the problem with fifteen minuites to throw in. It's not like we don't know when the fixtures are drawn up. That should give teams a chance to make arrangements, the likes of Walsh Island wearing the parish colours the last time out. Most clubs have alternate jerseys that mean something, be they parish jerseys, or local school ones or something.

the Untouchable
All Star

Post by the Untouchable »

Well I'll tell you it doesn't just happen in Offaly, It also happens in Meath, played a championship match this year for Na Fianna, we wore yellow jersey's with black trim....the opposition wore yellow jersey's with navy blue trim....on a sunny evening in mid july....it was a complete farce of a game....many an opposing player was found with a short kickout, which probably explained why he was standing in an acre of space in the first place!!!
The Untouchable