County Final Preview

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

County Final Preview

Post by Lone Shark »

It’s a proven fact that Sharks, fearsome creatures though they are, have one serious design flaw – they must stay moving at all times. If a Shark were to stop moving for a moment, he would start to sink and he would die. Needless to say you don’t see static sharks too often as a result. Having thus explained the natural disposition of the Shark towards motion, you’ll understand that this particular Shark is not given to being static either – for example sitting on a fence. And in that spirit, next Sunday sees the climax of the 2005 Offaly Senior Football Championship, and Rhode will win. This particular observer expects them to win by five or six points at least. It may be close for long stretches throughout, but ultimately it’s hard to see anything other than a comprehensive win for the Village.

Having no doubt raised the ire of many readers around Rahan, Mucklagh and beyond, I will qualify that remark by saying that there is by no means a five point difference in ability between these sides – one or two at most. However the way the two teams match up suits Rhode down to the ground, and as a result they should end up winning by what would best be termed a flattering margin.

These are without question the two best sides in Offaly this year, although they have very different qualities. Rhode have tremendous depth, great experience, and can run up large scores. Shamrocks are very powerful around the diamond, extremely young and fit, and have a defence that can suffocate opponents. However looking at the game ahead, Shamrocks will dominate in certain areas, but look very likely to struggle to translate that to scores. The two Coughlans in midfield in particular have been playing fantastic football, to the point where Thomas was even marked out by some within the county as a certain starter for Kevin Kilmurray’s team next year. This is jumping the gun so much the other sprinters haven’t even togged out yet. Coughlan the younger has been playing very well, but he is still only one year out of minor, and did not look like one of the better county under-21s in their brief championship run in the spring. His championship performances have been good, but our county is in a time of poor harvest and near famine when it comes to the midfielder crop, and he has not yet gone up against many top quality opponents. Alan McNamee is one such opponent, the county’s starting number nine, and he’ll not concede anything easy to a perceived rival for that jersey.

At the Shamrocks end of the field, their defence has been good, but Rhode succeeded in scoring 2-15 against Tullamore, with Paschal and Roy absent, and Niall playing a very quiet if still effective game. Mark Cole provided a new type of threat at full forward, and if that selection is repeated, the clash between him and Shane Guinan should make great viewing. However if honours are even at one end and that’s expecting a lot of the Shamrocks rearguard, that’s far from the case at the other, and this is the main reason why the gulf between the sides threatens to be substantial. Shamrocks’ so far have lacked the kind of blue chip scorer that the other prominent clubs in the county have, and this threatens to do untold harm to their quest. Brian Monaghan is accurate, and good from frees, and Leonard Mooney can hit very hot spells. However the Rhode full back line this year of Cassidy, Sullivan and Darby has been nothing short of fantastic. They have snuffed out opponents aggressively and comprehensively all year long, and at no stage has any of the three looked like a weak link to be exploited. The Shamrocks inside line can score, but only with the ball, and not one of these backs will concede possession without a fight. That tenacity could and should be enough to neutralise the Shamrocks scorers. Derek Molloy and Stephen Delaney wait in the wings, and could yet provide a certain unknown element if given a decent amount of playing time, but even so they aren’t intercounty forwards of the calibre Rhode have at their disposal, at least not yet.

Not having ever won the county title, Shamrocks will carry a lot of goodwill into this game, and Lone Shark is certainly among the vast majority of neutrals who would love to see a green and red pitch invasion on the final whistle on Sunday, but unfortunately it will take more than goodwill to make it so. Players rather than support will decide, and while Shamrocks will be worthy champions if the game pans out that way, for now Rhode look good to secure two in a row and fly the county flag in the Leinster club Championship in Wicklow in a little over a month’s time.

Bogman
All Star

Post by Bogman »

That's one comprehensive preview, Lone Shark!! That's why you have so many readers and no replies. What is there left for anybody else to say?

I'd like to see Mark "Chino" Cole repeat his performance of the semi-final.
Offaly could do with a natural full-forward and maybe Chino is the answer. Or will he be like Stephen Brown pointing from all angles for Birr in the Junior semi-final and then not reaching the same standard at all in the final.

But most of all I'd love to see Shamrocks shading it somehow. Let them have their day of glory and maybe Rhode can then go away, nurse their wounded pride, and sweep through Offaly and maybe Leinster next year.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

I'd love to see shamrocks do it too but I think Seamus Darby has Rhode peaking at the right time, this year more than any. I think they will win and then do themselves justice in the Leinster.

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

I'd love to see shamrocks do it too but I think Seamus Darby has Rhode peaking at the right time, this year more than any. I think they will win and then do themselves justice in the Leinster.
If Seamus had his way i reckon they would be getting ready in the pub.
Luckily for Rhode its Stephen who is in charge.

TheManFromFerbane
All Star

Post by TheManFromFerbane »

Barracuda wrote: If Seamus had his way i reckon they would be getting ready in the pub.
Luckily for Rhode its Stephen who is in charge.
Harsh on the man but fair cop. appolgies.