Junior Final

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Muck Savage
All Star

Junior Final

Post by Muck Savage »

Lads
Any take on the Birr vs. S/bridge Junior final at the weekend. Sounds like that Birr team has some players that the County Mgt should be having a look at and seeing if they'd be on for giving the big ball a shot. I know there is a big difference between Junior football and Inter county standard but if they were brought in for a few weeks training you'd never know what you'd get out of them. There have been a few of them on the Minor teams over the past few years.

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

While Birr are most peoples fav to take this junior title, Im gonna go the other way, not just to be different but by suggesting some other factors for consideration.

Twill be a wet kind of an evening- should suit The Bridge better- weight advantage !
The Bridge are packing a few very well experienced players themselves (The Kellys, Devine, Darcy,) and a few that played senior last year too.

Birr are normally not good at putting the big ball over the bar and if starved of goals might be in trouble.
On the other hand the Bridge have a good few who can put the ball over the bar from play and dead ball situations.

I expect a typical Junior final- very tight with lots of mistakes and a narrow win for the bridge. Mind you id love to see Birr win it too!.

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Post by Lone Shark »

I wouldn't go as far as to say county management should be looking at the Birr players - though Stephen Brown might be an exception to that. Sean Ryan will probably be a good under 21 again, but that'll be about the height of it.

At the risk of the Shannonbridge knives being sharpened again, I really can only see one result here. The formlines point much more strongly in the Birr direction, and while Shannonbridge have a lot of experience and talent, I can see Birr running them out of it in midfield and half forward. I can't see the likes of the Whelehans, McDonnell or O'Loughlin worrying about a bit of rain either. The Bridge have a few nice scorers all right, and Anthony Kelly is as talented a footballer as is playing in that grade, even if he is carrying a little bit too much condition to be at his best, but barring a phenomenal performance from the "X" factor in the game - Karol Kelly just back from America, a player who could have been very good if the ball had broken differently as it were - I see Birr taking this by about 5.

Ultimately Shannonbridge will need to upgrade a few of those better players to play senior next year, so I wouldn't fancy them to be able for intermediate anyway. As it is I see Birr struggling even if they go up.

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

Some lad has been giving you gip on the Hoganstand
LONESHARK
Just read the "LONESHARKS" comments regarding the Junior A final on Saturday evening.This lad talks a great game and loves to put the bridge down so hopefully the bridge can do it and sicken him.Has he ever played football before?Have never seen him give a prediction in sbridge’s favour before so hopefully that carries a bit of luck.
Small bit of bitterness there LONESHARK.
Sham , Here and There Ireland , 9/9/2005 at 10:38 AM

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

Just read the "LONESHARKS" comments regarding the Junior A final on Saturday evening.This lad talks a great game and loves to put the bridge down so hopefully the bridge can do it and sicken him.Has he ever played football before?Have never seen him give a prediction in sbridge’s favour before so hopefully that carries a bit of luck.
Small bit of bitterness there LONESHARK.
Sham , Here and There Ireland , 9/9/2005 at 10:38 AM
Where can we find a safe house for the LS!!!

Kileens might be a good spot - no one would look for him there........

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

This is beginning to irritate me. Can these people read??? :evil:

http://www.uibhfhaili.com/phpBB2/viewto ... 27&start=0
http://www.uibhfhaili.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=238
http://www.uibhfhaili.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311

Shannonbridge played four senior championship games this year, I tipped them to win three of them. They won one. It ain't me that's running them down, it's the club that's underperforming.

As regards the game sickening me, in two weeks I'll be in Ennis playing golf with several of these players - I know plenty of them. I'd love Shannonbridge to win. But they won't. Maybe I should do like these people seem to want, tip Offaly/Ferbane/Doon/Belmont/Shannonbridge/Ireland/Buccaneers/Padraig Harrington/Pat Smullen/Ken Doherty/Mark Scanlon all to win everything they take part in and back Olwyn Enright to be next Taoiseach on top of it. Then I'd have my right testicle reclaimed by loan sharks (!!), I'd lose all shreds of credibility but at least the Shannonbridge people wouldn't think I'm picking on them.

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

Shannonbridge played four senior championship games this year, I tipped them to win three of them. They won one. It ain't me that's running them down, it's the club that's underperforming.

As regards the game sickening me, in two weeks I'll be in Ennis playing golf with several of these players - I know plenty of them. I'd love Shannonbridge to win. But they won't. Maybe I should do like these people seem to want, tip Offaly/Ferbane/Doon/Belmont/Shannonbridge/Ireland/Buccaneers/Padraig Harrington/Pat Smullen/Ken Doherty/Mark Scanlon all to win everything they take part in and back Olwyn Enright to be next Taoiseach on top of it. Then I'd have my right testicle reclaimed by loan sharks (!!), I'd lose all shreds of credibility but at least the Shannonbridge people wouldn't think I'm picking on them.
Barra - Throws some water on LS to cool him down.

By the way- "But they Wont" might be just a tad harsh, they must have some chance or ? even I give them a chance this time.

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

Olwyn Enright to be next Taoiseach on top of - Me ( I hope )

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Barracuda wrote:Barra - Throws some water on LS to cool him down.
And follows this with Olwyn imagery. So much for the cooling down. :D

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

And follows this with Olwyn imagery. So much for the cooling down.
:lol: snigger snigger- mmmm food for thought that.............. :wink:

Barracuda
All Star

Post by Barracuda »

I'd love Shannonbridge to win. But they won't.
Well LS you got that one 100% correct !.
Heard the result and by all accounts there was only ever one winner in this final.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Lone Shark wrote:I see Birr taking this by about 5.
Not that I'm bragging mind ..... :P

Report here.

Birr 2-10 Shannonbridge 2-5

There weren’t too many souls who entered Doon on Saturday evening expecting Shannonbridge to take this title, the Bridge entering as clear underdogs coming to the conclusion of a junior championship which had seen some very impressive performances from a quite talented Birr team. After ten minutes even the most ardent of Shannonbridge followers were feeling a bit uneasy, as their team had fallen behind by 0-3 to no score, not one of their inside forwards had yet taken possession of a ball, and Birr were moving the ball swiftly and precisely, even if their shooting was anything but precise. From then on until the last 10 minutes, we saw exactly why Shannonbridge had earned their place in this final. Physical superiority, hunger to win loose ball, and the nous and coolness that only comes from experience all came to the fore as they first cancelled out the early deficit with a point from Anthony Kelly and a goal from Shane Kelly, but continued throughout to hang on in a game where they clearly lacked the class of their opponents. The goal was typical of what this team relied on – the ball was tenaciously won by Chris Duffy, who then sprinted past Simon Whelahan, and delivered into the full forward line. Shane Kelly got in behind Conor Egan, and under pressure that bordered on fouling, he struck a shot that was not the most crisp ever seen but was a testament to scorer’s instinct.

Their purple patch was rounded off by another score by Pat Joe Kelly, before Birr came back into the game themselves with a good run. Wides continued to feature, but their young wing forwards were an attacking threat throughout the game, and a point from each - Lonergan’s coming from a free - levelled matters. They then got their first goal of the game, clouded in so much controversy it was picked up on by Met Éireann. Martin Skeffington took a ball on around 35 metres out, and looked to have overcarried, but ended up playing it on to Seán Ryan. Ryan drew the last defender and handpassed in to Liam Power, who sidestepped the keeper. The keeper then did what the rules of the game allow him to do, but really shouldn’t – wrap his arms around Power and deliberately foul him in front of an open goal, leading to an obvious penalty decision. This is an anomaly of the current rules which needs to be addressed with a mandatory red card for players who do this, because in the meantime it is the most clear case of the fouling team benefiting in the game. The best recent example of this was in the league match in Parnell Park this year between Dublin and Mayo where Cluxton fouled to prevent a goal, and the penalty ended up being saved. In this case though, while still in Coughlan’s grasp, Power then appeared to play the ball with his hands into the net, which was incorrectly allowed. A justice of sorts, though many of the rules of the game were broken in the passage of play. This left Birr a goal to the good, and looking very good to go on and win.

One of the main reasons Shannonbridge were struggling was that a lot of good ball that went into the full forward position was being easily gobbled up by Willie Coffey. Hubert Darcy has been a stellar servant of Shannonbridge football down the years, but this standard is clearly more than he’s able to match in the deep winter of his career. He was replaced on 25 minutes by Declan Kelly, who scored 1-1 before half time, a scrappy goal and good point, to leave the half time score at 2-3 to 1-5, after a half which had seen both teams have two clear periods each in the ascendancy.

The danger for Birr was that Shannonbridge would succeed in keeping the game alive until the death, as the Bridge lads would always trust themselves in a close finish. Players like Anthony Kelly and Mick Devine have been around the block, and know what’s needed in that sort of situation. Birr’s unusual mix of up and coming players, exiles, and hurlers might be better ball players, but needed to get away from Shannonbridge and force their opponents to open out the game and speed it up. They never managed to do this, and with 10 minutes to go the score was 1-7 to 2-5. It was very easy to believe at this stage that Shannonbridge’s name was on the cup, as their lead of a point was by no means a refelction on the game. Birr had continued to miss scorable chances – they finished with ten wides, in contrast to a mere three for Shannonbridge – and were denied a freak goal when an underhit shot from 35 metres out by Stephen Brown was missed by the keeper and bounced up off the ground and hit the underside of the crossbar and deflected away to safety. Brown was guilty of underhitting the ball throughout the game, costing his side both scores and possession, and he certainly never came close to playing to the high standards he reached in the semi final against Edenderry.

The game was all set to be seized on by either team, and it after the heroics of Declan Kelly in the first half, it was a Birr substitute who stepped up and made the difference this time. Paul Molloy took a pass around twenty metres out on the left hand side of the goals when a loose ball bouncing around had left the defence at sixes and sevens, ran in to shooting range and hit it low to the net. The relief felt by the Birr team, management and supporters was palpable, and they finally were in a position where they could play without fear. Two points from play and one from a free by Stephen Lonergan rounded off the scoring, though Shannonbridge did forego a couple of easy point scoring opportunities towards the end in order to hunt for goals. The goals never came, and the clock ran dry, leaving Birr victorious.

Based on this season, Birr will not be one of the top four or five contenders for next years intermediate crown, but by the same token, neither will they be a front runner for the drop. They have several players who could feature for the county at various grades, and it’s a good sign for Offaly football that they will be playing their club football at a higher level. Verney and Ryan in particular should not have to wait too long, as under 21 selectors will surely take note of both players with next Spring in mind. For Shannonbridge, whose senior team have not come close to reaching the knockout stages in Offaly football for some time now, the best thing to come out of this is that some of these players should move up to senior ranks next year to bolster their ailing senior counterparts.

Teams:

Birr: Declan Ryan; Keith Hehir, Willie Coffey, Conor Egan; Michael Verney, Joe O’Loughlin, Simon Whelahan; Clifford McDonnell (0-2), Barry Whelahan; Seán Ryan (0-2), Liam Power (1-0), Stephen Lonergan (0-6, 0-3 frees); Alan Corboy, Stephen Brown, Martin Skeffington.

Subs: Paul Molloy (1-0) for Alan Corboy, Niall Claffey for Martin Skeffington.

Shannonbridge: Kieran Coughlan; Kieran Norton, Alan Gunning, Enda McCoy; Mark Maloney, Mick Devine, Colm Kenny; Darren Finn, Philip Egan; Chris Duffy, Anthony Kelly (0-2, frees), Rory O’Connor; Shane Kelly (1-0), Hubert Darcy, Pat Joe Kelly (0-2).

Subs: Declan Kelly (1-1) for Hubert Darcy, Darren Egan for Colm Kenny, Karl Kelly for Chris Duffy, Paul Maloney for Mick Devine.

Referee: Paul Jordan

True Red
All Star

Post by True Red »

LS,

what were the Birr celebrations like at the end of the match?Hardly estatic?this title title probably wouldnt mean a whole lot to them?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

Yeah, ecstatic would certainly be stretching it to say the least. I didn't stay around for the presentation, but as you can imagine there was a lot of whooping and hollering from the lads that would have been focussing on this - the footballers basically. From the Whelahans, Molloy, Brown etc needless to say there was a more circumspect reaction, but happy out all the same.

I have to say I think it's a good thing. At least North Offaly tries hurling, as evidenced by Shamrocks, Tullamore and Clara all senior, even if they're not competitive. Most South Offaly don't even take part in football, and to give lads down there who mightn't love hurling an outlet is certainly no bad thing.

Biff O'Mahon
Intermediate

Post by Biff O'Mahon »

Eh, do the Birr lads usually need an excuse to lash back a few pints?

It does no harm for the county all right... by the way is that the same Mick Devine playing for the Bridge that used to play a bit of rugger for the Buccaneers?