League structure 2010

A forum to air your views on Offaly GAA matters and beyond.
Black Spot
Junior A

League structure 2010

Post by Black Spot »

There are rumours around the county that the structure of the football league is going to be changed in 2010.
Its rumoured that Senior teams play division 1 Intermediate division 2 and junior division 3.Does anybody know if this is true?
I dont see the point of this as I cant see how football in offaly will benifit from this srtucture.The league gives the weaker clubs who have worked hard for promotion the chance to better themselfes for championship.The likes of Cappincur who worked hard to win the division three and survived division two last year are now going to be put back down because there a junior team :evil: while another club might get promoted up a division because there an intermediate or senior side. I can't see the logic in it.How are the weaker clubs meant to keep heart?

Lone Shark
All Star
Club: Ferbane

Re: League structure 2010

Post by Lone Shark »

That doesn't appear to make to much sense to me. There are some clubs who don't put that much emphasis on the league, and there are others who put their hearts into it, and I can't see why this move makes any sense at all. Walsh Island got used to playing senior clubs in the league and it should stand them in good stead for next year, while certainly Capincur have earned their place in division two as well. I certainly don't think it makes any sense to replace them with a team like Birr, who while they are a good team at intermediate in the summer, are a shadow of themselves during the spring when they don't have any of their hurlers or county players.

I hadn't heard about this - is this definitely going ahead or is it just rumour?
Kevin Egan. Signed out of respect for players and all involved with Offaly.

theman
All Star

Post by theman »

Ye we were told thats the way the league is gona be run this year. Dont see the point either as it doesnt benifit intermediate or junior teams. Dont see how Tubber and Erin Rovers get to go division 1 when they couldnt even get out of division 2, while Cappincur who worked to get to division 2 and stay there get bumped down to division 3. County board are a joke
Twice we had the chance,but well get one more

Slieve Bloom Man
County player

Post by Slieve Bloom Man »

Very disappointing if this is true. Teams should be allowed to continue to participate in the league they were already in or promoted to etc.

OffalyDub
Junior A

Post by OffalyDub »

Ah no! If it's not broken............ I'm not saying it's perfect, but teams are in the divisions they are in now on merit. Very unfair on Cappincur and others no doubt. If Walsh Island had lost Intermediate final, they would then be relegated to Div. 2 in league despite reaching Div. 1 final this year! Daft. Also, as mentioned in other posts before, league is league and championship is championship. County always has first choice on players when league is on (fair enough in my opinion), so should there be any relationship between both?

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

This thread reflects what most people in the county seem to be saying - that this appears to be a bad idea. I have to wonder - who wanted this? Surely an idea like this doesn't come from nowhere, and somebody somewhere would have had to set it in motion - who would that be? It's not like playing out of division two did any harm to Erin Rovers or Tubber last year, both clubs had decent championship campaigns recording a few good wins and reaching the knockout stages.

Does this mean that Raheen are straight back down now too? Very harsh on them if that's the case as well - and one would have thought that they would have had a decent advocate at the top table in Martin Boland.

OffalyDub
Junior A

Post by OffalyDub »

OffalyDub wrote: Does this mean that Raheen are straight back down now too? Very harsh on them if that's the case as well - and one would have thought that they would have had a decent advocate at the top table in Martin Boland.
Don't think it affects Raheen as they're Intermediate and will be Div 2 regardless. Think it was just one up one down anyway. However, had they beaten Edenderry in Div 2 final and had to stay Div 2 it would have made an even bigger joke out of this proposal than it already is.

Lone Shark
All Star

Post by Lone Shark »

OffalyDub wrote: Think it was just one up one down anyway.
Fair point - don't know why I had it in my head that it was otherwise. Mea culpa there. The fundamental point stands though - this proposal makes no sense at all.